(An attempt at) smancy photos

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Re: (An attempt at) smancy photos

Post by in2anity » 25 Oct 2017, 7:40 am

wrenchman wrote:last time we were at the range working on hand loads i had my 270 with us and his 300 win but we shot the 3030 way more

Understandable - the boot from long-action cartridges doesn't really lend itself to plinking away at the range. The 30/30 is comparatively mild. Nice rifle - JM stamped is it? Btw damn you guys and your gun laws!
Last edited by in2anity on 25 Oct 2017, 8:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by in2anity » 25 Oct 2017, 7:54 am

bigpete wrote:(pic)

Nice BP - how's the CB fairing? Got it to group yet?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by wrenchman » 25 Oct 2017, 8:52 am

yes it was made in the 70s i bought it from a freind it was his dads and he passed away when i got it i was thinking of selling it but my son wanted it.
i also have 2 winchester 94s they were my dads and my father inlaws i have not shot any hand loads in them yet
wrenchman
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by bigpete » 26 Oct 2017, 7:26 pm

juststarting wrote:I like your photo Bigpete. I like it how you capture the duality of life in one concise (albeit a little over exposed and slightly out of focus) photo (although, this could be you capturing life itself, that nothing is perfect and clear). Instruments of death, surrounded by life. And demonstrating its instinctive struggle for for life, for no apparent reason other than what's programmed into them, as if you're channeling your inner Schopenhauer. How the rifles are almost consuming by the grass and the subtle irony that some parts of these instruments of death were once living things too. Very deep, Bigpete, very deep indeed.

Alright, neeeext! ROFL

Geezus your full of crap !!!!
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bigpete » 26 Oct 2017, 7:27 pm

in2anity wrote:
bigpete wrote:(pic)

Nice BP - how's the CB fairing? Got it to group yet?

It shoots fine for iron sights
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by SHV » 28 Oct 2017, 1:49 pm

in2anity wrote:Hi guys, I thought some of you might appreciate these; I was actually inspired by user "SHV" to attempt something artsy with my wife's rather impressive smartphone camera:

336W.jpg

336W_sights.jpg

My friend refers to this rifle as the "franken-rifle" due to all the upgrades/tweaks I've made to it over the years. Here's a breakdown of the additional components:

• Williams FP-336 reciever
  • Extra long, finger adjustable elevation screw
  • Finger adjustable elevation locking knob
  • 1/2" x .050" Aperture
  • Lyman 17AHB .404 front sight with interchangeable inserts, primarily running the target globe, but swapped for a blade for CASL and hunting
  • Limbsaver recoil pad
  • Wild West Trigger Happy trigger, nickel coloured
  • Safari Ching Sling for supported offhand work

I've settled on Westcastings/HRBC/Topscore 165gr hard-cast coated lead projectiles over 16.2gr of AR2207 for an intermediate 1500fps muzzle velocity; knocks down the rams at 200m and drops medium sized game pretty consistently. Very pleasant to shoot without much heat at all. Minimal leading at these speed.

The rifle has been somewhat accurized by sanding the forend back to loosen the rear barrel band, I then re-coated it with some tung oil for an almost perfect finish. The front barrel band is also kept nice and loose. This gives me a consistent 2moa if I'm doing my part and I can reach out to 300m with this load and sight setup. I have accumulated my own painted markings on the sight ladder for 50m, 100m, 150m, 200m, 250m and 300m (based on actual trajectory). I estimate I've shot about 3000 rounds through her now and she's still grouping nice and consistently!

I'd love to see your "smancy" photos of your pride-and-joy if you're up for it!

In2anity.

Hi In2anity, where did you get the hard coated cast bullet? cost and accuracy? thanks a lot
SHV
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by in2anity » 28 Oct 2017, 10:12 pm

SHV wrote:Hi In2anity, where did you get the hard coated cast bullet? cost and accuracy? thanks a lot

Hey SHV I’m currently almost finished a batch of Westcastings “Black Premiums” ordered directly from Western Australia. From memory they cost me $190 delivered for 1000. They have a thick glossy powder-coat-like finish and are sized to .310”. They are quite accurate, especially with 2207 and 2205 at around 1500fps. That said they’re don’t seem so good over Trail Boss - HRBCs and Topscore projectiles used to work better with Trail Boss; this might be to do with the fact that those were a little softer than the Westcastings. In saying all that I recently tried my westcastings in my new Tikka bolt over Trail Boss and 3 our of 4 went into 0.3” at 50m! But then I had a flyer on the fourth. I’m not sure what this means yet - it might be due to inconsistency in the cast as they do weigh slightly different if you sort them. I haven’t bought off HRBC since their move, but I plan to go back to them if they still make the same quality projectile (currently waiting on some samples to see). HRBC used to make a damn good bullet for the price. Hope this helps :)
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by SHV » 30 Oct 2017, 8:21 am

in2anity wrote:
SHV wrote:Hi In2anity, where did you get the hard coated cast bullet? cost and accuracy? thanks a lot

Hey SHV I’m currently almost finished a batch of Westcastings “Black Premiums” ordered directly from Western Australia. From memory they cost me $190 delivered for 1000. They have a thick glossy powder-coat-like finish and are sized to .310”. They are quite accurate, especially with 2207 and 2205 at around 1500fps. That said they’re don’t seem so good over Trail Boss - HRBCs and Topscore projectiles used to work better with Trail Boss; this might be to do with the fact that those were a little softer than the Westcastings. In saying all that I recently tried my westcastings in my new Tikka bolt over Trail Boss and 3 our of 4 went into 0.3” at 50m! But then I had a flyer on the fourth. I’m not sure what this means yet - it might be due to inconsistency in the cast as they do weigh slightly different if you sort them. I haven’t bought off HRBC since their move, but I plan to go back to them if they still make the same quality projectile (currently waiting on some samples to see). HRBC used to make a damn good bullet for the price. Hope this helps :)

thanks mate, will try something similar and update the resort :lol:
SHV
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by bigpete » 29 Nov 2017, 3:43 pm

IMG_20171125_184326.jpg
IMG_20171125_184326.jpg (314.29 KiB) Viewed 6173 times

Baikal at rest
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bigpete » 29 Nov 2017, 3:44 pm

IMG_20171125_184134.jpg
IMG_20171125_184134.jpg (265.54 KiB) Viewed 6173 times

Baikal out hunting
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by in2anity » 30 Nov 2017, 9:11 am

Noice BP! That filter is “gram-worthy”? :thumbsup: you shooting your casts through her?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by bigpete » 30 Nov 2017, 11:54 am

So far I am yes
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by juststarting » 01 Dec 2017, 9:22 am

---
https://reloadingstudio.com
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by in2anity » 01 Dec 2017, 9:49 am

juststarting wrote:<Instagram worthy photo>

Ah yes your revolver carbine - happy you went with 22lr? How does it group? btw sweet pic man u have an eye :thumbsup:
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by juststarting » 01 Dec 2017, 10:26 am

Well, I thought we are doing shmacy photos :) ...it is on insta lol. And did dabble in photography a bit :) My other hobby.

It kinda groups. I was just shooting off hand and fast. Will get my mount and red dot, then I'll do a better test.

Yes, very happy. Made the right choice. That's not to say that I wouldn't like a bigger caliber in the future. But I think 22 was a better overall choice for me.
---
https://reloadingstudio.com
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by in2anity » 01 Dec 2017, 10:44 am

juststarting wrote:Yes, very happy. Made the right choice. That's not to say that I wouldn't like a bigger caliber in the future. But I think 22 was a better overall choice for me.

22lr is a great caliber isn't it - I bloody love plinking with my 22, absolutely zero guilt-factor.
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by bigpete » 01 Dec 2017, 7:14 pm

Every one should own a 22 if only for the cheap.practice
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Next