(An attempt at) smancy photos

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

(An attempt at) smancy photos

Post by in2anity » 20 Aug 2017, 5:02 pm

Hi guys, I thought some of you might appreciate these; I was actually inspired by user "SHV" to attempt something artsy with my wife's rather impressive smartphone camera:

336W.jpg
Marlin 336W .30 WCF
336W.jpg (937.12 KiB) Viewed 6429 times

336W_sights.jpg
Williams FP-336-TK
336W_sights.jpg (699.86 KiB) Viewed 6429 times

My friend refers to this rifle as the "franken-rifle" due to all the upgrades/tweaks I've made to it over the years. Here's a breakdown of the additional components:

• Williams FP-336 reciever
  • Extra long, finger adjustable elevation screw
  • Finger adjustable elevation locking knob
  • 1/2" x .050" Aperture
  • Lyman 17AHB .404 front sight with interchangeable inserts, primarily running the target globe, but swapped for a blade for CASL and hunting
  • Limbsaver recoil pad
  • Wild West Trigger Happy trigger, nickel coloured
  • Safari Ching Sling for supported offhand work

I've settled on Westcastings/HRBC/Topscore 165gr hard-cast coated lead projectiles over 16.2gr of AR2207 for an intermediate 1500fps muzzle velocity; knocks down the rams at 200m and drops medium sized game pretty consistently. Very pleasant to shoot without much heat at all. Minimal leading at these speed.

The rifle has been somewhat accurized by sanding the forend back to loosen the rear barrel band, I then re-coated it with some tung oil for an almost perfect finish. The front barrel band is also kept nice and loose. This gives me a consistent 2moa if I'm doing my part and I can reach out to 300m with this load and sight setup. I have accumulated my own painted markings on the sight ladder for 50m, 100m, 150m, 200m, 250m and 300m (based on actual trajectory). I estimate I've shot about 3000 rounds through her now and she's still grouping nice and consistently!

I'd love to see your "smancy" photos of your pride-and-joy if you're up for it!

In2anity.
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Re: (An attempt at) smancy photos

Post by Oldbloke » 20 Aug 2017, 5:44 pm

Had a Marlin 3030 yonks ago. My first centerfire. Loved it & sorry I sold it but needed the $ to upgrade to a 30-06. The one thing I hated about it was it was a bitch to dismantle and clean unlike BAs.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by in2anity » 20 Aug 2017, 7:47 pm

sungazer wrote:I briefly saw a rifle on used guns the other day (when I went back to have another look it had been taken down) It was described as a Remington 700
Action Stiller tactical, barrel madco, trigger jewel, chasis MDT. and scope ?
There was no way it could be desribed as a Remington it had a different action and not one original part. Perhaps the reason for the take down or it may have been a wind up.
its a nice looking rifle no matter how smancy you make the artwork in the photos :)

I've been eyeing off one of those HB 16.5" Remington 700s in .308 for years; they absolutely drive tacks and would be a great all-rounder which I'd mostly use for target shooting (with the option of a trekking rifle). Problem is you'd have to address the trigger, stock and get it drilled for target irons, so I'd be looking at a $2000 minimum. Just can't justify that sort of cash at this point.

If I could go back in time, I'd would have opted for a used JM stamped 30AS instead of the 336W "remlin"; even though the stocks were made out of birch, the lack of the rear barrel-band meant they would generally shoot like stink. Also I'm not a huge fan of laminate stocks anymore TBH.

Moving forward, I will only ever have walnut now, as someone around here said, "buy once cry once". Love me a nice bit of timber!
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by in2anity » 20 Aug 2017, 7:56 pm

Oldbloke wrote:Had a Marlin 3030 yonks ago. My first centerfire. Loved it & sorry I sold it but needed the $ to upgrade to a 30-06. The one thing I hated about it was it was a bitch to dismantle and clean unlike BAs.

I hear you, I've been tempted to trade this rifle in many times; but I've poured my heart and soul into getting her to where she is today so I could never go through with it. From a practicality perspective, once you put a scope on one of these they are just the most glorious harvesting machines, wow have I harvested some game with her.

What I plan to do fairly soon though is pick up a 26" Marlin 1895 CB 45/70, I'll then transfer all the bells and whistles off this rifle onto the new 1895, turning it into a long range plinker. Then I'll put a scope back this rifle, transforming it back into that perfect hunting tool again.
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by AusTac » 20 Aug 2017, 8:53 pm

I'm not really a lever guy just by design, but yours looks pretty nice mate! Good photos too
Certified part time hillbilly
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by in2anity » 20 Aug 2017, 9:06 pm

AusTac wrote:I'm not really a lever guy just by design, but yours looks pretty nice mate! Good photos too

Thanks mate; the trusty bolt action is certainly hard to beat!
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 21 Aug 2017, 6:19 pm

in2anity wrote:
AusTac wrote:I'm not really a lever guy just by design, but yours looks pretty nice mate! Good photos too

Thanks mate; the trusty bolt action is certainly hard to beat!

I agree, but LAs are fun and look grouse.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Redwood » 23 Aug 2017, 11:58 am

I prefer bolt-action to use too, but levers' do have a certain style.

Needs a 'classy' smilie to go with this :D
Redwood
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Carter » 28 Aug 2017, 3:52 pm

classy-emoji.jpg
classy-emoji.jpg (6.35 KiB) Viewed 6155 times
Carter
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by in2anity » 23 Oct 2017, 9:59 am

Tikka CTR 308w, (CENTREFIRE HUNTING RIFLE) RIFLE METALLIC SILHOUETTE 4.1kg build:

primary.jpg
primary.jpg (601.29 KiB) Viewed 6029 times

side.jpg
side.jpg (687.09 KiB) Viewed 6029 times

muzzle.jpg
muzzle.jpg (587.54 KiB) Viewed 6029 times

And the trio:
trio.jpg
RIMFIRE HUNTING RIFLE, COWBOY LEVER ACTION SILHOUETTE RIFLE, CENTREFIRE HUNTING RIFLE
trio.jpg (790.89 KiB) Viewed 6029 times
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by SHV » 23 Oct 2017, 6:58 pm

:thumbsup:
SHV
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by juststarting » 23 Oct 2017, 9:44 pm

Read about The Rule of Thirds ;) And try to scatter the ammo a little less symmetrically. Depth of field is good, but could add a bit more contrast, perhaps in post processing, to in focus objects.

https://youtu.be/rVUg8a1Tlf0
---
https://reloadingstudio.com
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by wrenchman » 24 Oct 2017, 10:33 am

i was not much into the lever guns till my son took over the one i had he put a rail on the top and worked on the action its a slick gun to shoot and we have been working on hand loads with hand loads its cheep to shoot
wrenchman
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by in2anity » 24 Oct 2017, 12:34 pm

wrenchman wrote:i was not much into the lever guns till my son took over the one i had he put a rail on the top and worked on the action its a slick gun to shoot and we have been working on hand loads with hand loads its cheep to shoot

So long as the bullet diameter is within a couple of thou of the grooves (usually .308"), a 308w bolt gun can shoot pretty much any 30cal ammo, this includes projectiles meant for the 30/30. I actually shoot 30/30 cast lead projectiles over Trail Boss through this Tikka, and if I sort the projectiles beforehand for consistency, it'll put them under a MOA (at 50m) all day long! And considering this Tikka has a 10-shot detachable mag, it's easily a better all-round gun than any 30/30 - I hate to admit it because I love me a good lever :(
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by in2anity » 24 Oct 2017, 12:44 pm

juststarting wrote:Read about The Rule of Thirds ;) And try to scatter the ammo a little less symmetrically. Depth of field is good, but could add a bit more contrast, perhaps in post processing, to in focus objects.

https://youtu.be/rVUg8a1Tlf0

LMAO dat vid. But yeah that last trio shot - agreed contrast sucks.
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by bigpete » 24 Oct 2017, 9:31 pm

IMG_20170818_131315.jpg
IMG_20170818_131315.jpg (1015.92 KiB) Viewed 5838 times
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by juststarting » 24 Oct 2017, 9:48 pm

I like your photo Bigpete. I like it how you capture the duality of life in one concise (albeit a little over exposed and slightly out of focus) photo (although, this could be you capturing life itself, that nothing is perfect and clear). Instruments of death, surrounded by life. And demonstrating its instinctive struggle for for life, for no apparent reason other than what's programmed into them, as if you're channeling your inner Schopenhauer. How the rifles are almost consuming by the grass and the subtle irony that some parts of these instruments of death were once living things too. Very deep, Bigpete, very deep indeed.

Alright, neeeext! ROFL
---
https://reloadingstudio.com
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by wrenchman » 25 Oct 2017, 12:02 am

last time we were at the range working on hand loads i had my 270 with us and his 300 win but we shot the 3030 way more
Attachments
FB_IMG_1506018060313.jpg
FB_IMG_1506018060313.jpg (40.77 KiB) Viewed 6140 times
wrenchman
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by in2anity » 25 Oct 2017, 7:40 am

wrenchman wrote:last time we were at the range working on hand loads i had my 270 with us and his 300 win but we shot the 3030 way more

Understandable - the boot from long-action cartridges doesn't really lend itself to plinking away at the range. The 30/30 is comparatively mild. Nice rifle - JM stamped is it? Btw damn you guys and your gun laws!
Last edited by in2anity on 25 Oct 2017, 8:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by in2anity » 25 Oct 2017, 7:54 am

bigpete wrote:(pic)

Nice BP - how's the CB fairing? Got it to group yet?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by wrenchman » 25 Oct 2017, 8:52 am

yes it was made in the 70s i bought it from a freind it was his dads and he passed away when i got it i was thinking of selling it but my son wanted it.
i also have 2 winchester 94s they were my dads and my father inlaws i have not shot any hand loads in them yet
wrenchman
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by bigpete » 26 Oct 2017, 7:26 pm

juststarting wrote:I like your photo Bigpete. I like it how you capture the duality of life in one concise (albeit a little over exposed and slightly out of focus) photo (although, this could be you capturing life itself, that nothing is perfect and clear). Instruments of death, surrounded by life. And demonstrating its instinctive struggle for for life, for no apparent reason other than what's programmed into them, as if you're channeling your inner Schopenhauer. How the rifles are almost consuming by the grass and the subtle irony that some parts of these instruments of death were once living things too. Very deep, Bigpete, very deep indeed.

Alright, neeeext! ROFL

Geezus your full of crap !!!!
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bigpete » 26 Oct 2017, 7:27 pm

in2anity wrote:
bigpete wrote:(pic)

Nice BP - how's the CB fairing? Got it to group yet?

It shoots fine for iron sights
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by SHV » 28 Oct 2017, 1:49 pm

in2anity wrote:Hi guys, I thought some of you might appreciate these; I was actually inspired by user "SHV" to attempt something artsy with my wife's rather impressive smartphone camera:

336W.jpg

336W_sights.jpg

My friend refers to this rifle as the "franken-rifle" due to all the upgrades/tweaks I've made to it over the years. Here's a breakdown of the additional components:

• Williams FP-336 reciever
  • Extra long, finger adjustable elevation screw
  • Finger adjustable elevation locking knob
  • 1/2" x .050" Aperture
  • Lyman 17AHB .404 front sight with interchangeable inserts, primarily running the target globe, but swapped for a blade for CASL and hunting
  • Limbsaver recoil pad
  • Wild West Trigger Happy trigger, nickel coloured
  • Safari Ching Sling for supported offhand work

I've settled on Westcastings/HRBC/Topscore 165gr hard-cast coated lead projectiles over 16.2gr of AR2207 for an intermediate 1500fps muzzle velocity; knocks down the rams at 200m and drops medium sized game pretty consistently. Very pleasant to shoot without much heat at all. Minimal leading at these speed.

The rifle has been somewhat accurized by sanding the forend back to loosen the rear barrel band, I then re-coated it with some tung oil for an almost perfect finish. The front barrel band is also kept nice and loose. This gives me a consistent 2moa if I'm doing my part and I can reach out to 300m with this load and sight setup. I have accumulated my own painted markings on the sight ladder for 50m, 100m, 150m, 200m, 250m and 300m (based on actual trajectory). I estimate I've shot about 3000 rounds through her now and she's still grouping nice and consistently!

I'd love to see your "smancy" photos of your pride-and-joy if you're up for it!

In2anity.

Hi In2anity, where did you get the hard coated cast bullet? cost and accuracy? thanks a lot
SHV
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by in2anity » 28 Oct 2017, 10:12 pm

SHV wrote:Hi In2anity, where did you get the hard coated cast bullet? cost and accuracy? thanks a lot

Hey SHV I’m currently almost finished a batch of Westcastings “Black Premiums” ordered directly from Western Australia. From memory they cost me $190 delivered for 1000. They have a thick glossy powder-coat-like finish and are sized to .310”. They are quite accurate, especially with 2207 and 2205 at around 1500fps. That said they’re don’t seem so good over Trail Boss - HRBCs and Topscore projectiles used to work better with Trail Boss; this might be to do with the fact that those were a little softer than the Westcastings. In saying all that I recently tried my westcastings in my new Tikka bolt over Trail Boss and 3 our of 4 went into 0.3” at 50m! But then I had a flyer on the fourth. I’m not sure what this means yet - it might be due to inconsistency in the cast as they do weigh slightly different if you sort them. I haven’t bought off HRBC since their move, but I plan to go back to them if they still make the same quality projectile (currently waiting on some samples to see). HRBC used to make a damn good bullet for the price. Hope this helps :)
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by SHV » 30 Oct 2017, 8:21 am

in2anity wrote:
SHV wrote:Hi In2anity, where did you get the hard coated cast bullet? cost and accuracy? thanks a lot

Hey SHV I’m currently almost finished a batch of Westcastings “Black Premiums” ordered directly from Western Australia. From memory they cost me $190 delivered for 1000. They have a thick glossy powder-coat-like finish and are sized to .310”. They are quite accurate, especially with 2207 and 2205 at around 1500fps. That said they’re don’t seem so good over Trail Boss - HRBCs and Topscore projectiles used to work better with Trail Boss; this might be to do with the fact that those were a little softer than the Westcastings. In saying all that I recently tried my westcastings in my new Tikka bolt over Trail Boss and 3 our of 4 went into 0.3” at 50m! But then I had a flyer on the fourth. I’m not sure what this means yet - it might be due to inconsistency in the cast as they do weigh slightly different if you sort them. I haven’t bought off HRBC since their move, but I plan to go back to them if they still make the same quality projectile (currently waiting on some samples to see). HRBC used to make a damn good bullet for the price. Hope this helps :)

thanks mate, will try something similar and update the resort :lol:
SHV
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by bigpete » 29 Nov 2017, 3:43 pm

IMG_20171125_184326.jpg
IMG_20171125_184326.jpg (314.29 KiB) Viewed 6169 times

Baikal at rest
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bigpete » 29 Nov 2017, 3:44 pm

IMG_20171125_184134.jpg
IMG_20171125_184134.jpg (265.54 KiB) Viewed 6169 times

Baikal out hunting
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by in2anity » 30 Nov 2017, 9:11 am

Noice BP! That filter is “gram-worthy”? :thumbsup: you shooting your casts through her?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by bigpete » 30 Nov 2017, 11:54 am

So far I am yes
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Next