Can't shoot from a bipod

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Can't shoot from a bipod

Post by wildcard6 » 21 Aug 2017, 8:10 pm

I've never been able to shoot from a bipod and can't work out what I'm doing wrong. I have a genuine Harris bipod [9-13" model] and find that even a .22 rimfire throws terrible groups, as opposed to sub-25mm groups at 50 metres off a bag, or even off [rested] hands. I have tested it on my .223 Sako and I lose my sight picture off the bipod, whereas when I shoot off bags I see the bullet strike reactive targets. I once used the bipod on my .270 and found the gun bounced around 30 degrees sideways after the shot when fired off a solid bench top. I have seen many people firing off bipods and they seem to get a perfectly straight-back recoil, where my rifle always bounces up/sideways upon firing. Anybody got any suggestions as to what I'm doing wrong? I'd like to be able to rely on/use my bipod for something other than just cleaning my rifles!
wildcard6
Private
Private

South Australia

Re: Can't shoot from a bipod

Post by duncan61 » 21 Aug 2017, 8:49 pm

When I shoot of my bipod I pull down on the rifle butt with my left hand and it stays put and I am using a 7mm Rem Mag
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by AusTac » 21 Aug 2017, 8:50 pm

With my limited shooting knowledge i've always shot prone when availiable and majority of the time with a bipod, i've found it's all in the hips, and how your body is positioned, it's very easy to lie behind a rifle slightly out of alignment, a technique i use is set myself up on the ground, nice sheet comfortable position, get a bead on target, then do a few breathing cycles, and adjust yourself until the cross hairs are straight up and down and have minimal movement off target apart from breathing, if your off left or right you body isn't aligned right, a rear bag helps to, as well as not being tense and rigid, just let the rifle sit and do its thing, may not be right, but it's worked for me :)
Certified part time hillbilly
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by duncan61 » 21 Aug 2017, 9:00 pm

Thats the way to do it
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by Gwion » 21 Aug 2017, 9:04 pm

Achieving the right amount of 'loading' on your bi-pod can be tricky. This is a consistent forward pressure exerted on the rifle butt. Also, setting up the rifle and getting a natural and relaxed position behind it is tricky, as well. It is important to have all pressure on the rifle, (I.e: forces from your grip & position) with neutral or in line with the line of fire so that the rifle does not torque under recoil. This is referred to as setting up a natural point of aim.....
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Mulder030 » 22 Aug 2017, 11:30 am

I would recommend watching some training video's like 'The Art of Precision Rifle' series. Its goes through a lot in depth pointers that they call the fundamentals. I enjoyed it and gave me a different thought/setup process for each shot. Not saying it will solve all your problems but may trigger you do do/try something else.
O'mark Model 44 - .308 - Paper
Howa M1500 ultra light Boyd's stock - .308 - Game
Savage MK II Varmint - .22LR - Practice
Mulder030
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by in2anity » 22 Aug 2017, 1:58 pm

sungazer wrote:Two ways to shoot off a bipod. Which one works best depends on the Calibre, weight of rifle, design of stock. You can do as above like Gwion mentioned which is best for hunting sporting rifles or you can just do the not hold the forend position. The rifle will probably jump up and to the left a fair bit and you will never see any follow through. this works for heavy target rifles designed well. Also more and more of the tactile rifles can be shot this way.

This is probably true (I wouldn't know because I've literally never used a bipod), but just one point related to this; your follow-through is quite an important aspect of marksmanship. If you shoot 22 target, your coach will drum into you "follow-through, follow-through, follow-through!" all day long (along with "front sight, front sight, front sight!" :P). If you can see the 22's trajectory and impact with the target, that means your follow-through is in pretty good shape.

This is why starting out on a moderately recoiling rifle can teach you really bad habits - the flinch can absolutely kill your groups. I hope this is not a factor here because it's hard to train out of someone.
Last edited by in2anity on 22 Aug 2017, 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Sako308 » 22 Aug 2017, 2:44 pm

Body alignment. Don't over think it, start with lining the rifle up with the target, lay down behind the rifle so that your shoulders are square to the target, which should in a perfect world be 90* so that recoil is a straight line path from rifle through to the body. If you cant your legs left/right (depending on dominate side) the rifle will generally hop that way.

Regina Milkovich put up this photo over the weekend which outlines what we're saying.,

https://www.facebook.com/LHGina/photos/ ... =3&theater

You can run either arm forward or arm under the butt, but make sure if you're using a rear bag its a good solid fit and nice and stable.

Bipod Loading, no need to go nuts, a slight forward pressure from the hips (not the shoulder) to take up any slack in the position. Head and sight alignment remains on the stock, if you cant run the bolt without lifting your head then you need to step back and re-evaluate the rifle setup.

Trigger control and breathing, make sure you're finger is positioned on the trigger shoe in the same position each time, index it off the tip side of the first joint to ensure consistent position and pull. Dry fire and practice your breathing cycle 5-10 before going live, it will calm everything down and get you zoned in better.

The key is consistency from shot to shot, if you can't replicate the position and hold from shot to shot, step back find out what and why (this may take some guidance and coaching to eyeball what your doing), adjust and go again.
Attachments
20901756_1601296049920879_7949009863267434280_o.jpg
20901756_1601296049920879_7949009863267434280_o.jpg (101.03 KiB) Viewed 4625 times
Sako308
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by wildcard6 » 22 Aug 2017, 3:07 pm

Many thanks to all who replied. There's a lot to think about from all this, but the series of photos is particularly useful. I suspect the main issue for me is not being in line with the recoil pulse, which causes a sideways bounce. Most of my experimentation has been shooting off a bench and that definitely sets up an off-line shooting position. I'll give it some more practice time shooting from a prone position and see what happens. Thanks again to all.
wildcard6
Private
Private

South Australia

Post by Sako308 » 22 Aug 2017, 3:56 pm

I'd also suggest looking into some training videos from solid instructors as an aid to improving your fundamentals and helping identify any shortfalls in your training/technique, a plethora of information in an easy to follow format which can help dry fire as well as giving a bit of direction and focus to your range time. While they cant replace a good first hand coach, these are some that I would recommend:

https://huntsmanfirearms.com.au/catalog ... and-2_752/

https://huntsmanfirearms.com.au/catalog ... tals_1445/
https://huntsmanfirearms.com.au/catalog ... ions_1446/

Some good solid training from quality instructors may also be worth investing in as it can get you squared away quickly and eliminate any bad habits before they start. Have a look into these guys, depending on your location.

ACT- Orange Accuracy https://www.orangeaccuracy.com
NSW- 365 Precision Training www.365precisiontraining.com
QLD- Foresight Tactical https://fortac.com.au
SA- Impact Dynamics http://impactdynamics.com.au/training/
Sako308
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Sako308 » 22 Aug 2017, 4:02 pm

wildcard6 wrote:Many thanks to all who replied. There's a lot to think about from all this, but the series of photos is particularly useful. I suspect the main issue for me is not being in line with the recoil pulse, which causes a sideways bounce. Most of my experimentation has been shooting off a bench and that definitely sets up an off-line shooting position. I'll give it some more practice time shooting from a prone position and see what happens. Thanks again to all.

Sitting at the bench, while having less mass behind the recoiling rifle, can be setup similar to being prone. Try to square yourself to the rifle (difficult as most benches set you up to offset yourself from the beginning, as you said) solid seating position, feet flat on the ground about shoulder width apart to minimise movement. Move the whole position forward on the bench as far as possible to get both elbows on solid support, this is where running the support side hand forward to the bipod or rest sneaks in as it maximises contact to the bench and eliminates unnecessary movement.

Sometimes its a matter of a compromise to make do as best you can.
Sako308
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by in2anity » 22 Aug 2017, 5:06 pm

Sako308 wrote:Sitting at the bench, while having less mass behind the recoiling rifle, can be setup similar to being prone.

IMO sitting at a bench shooting a recoiling light rifle is a bad idea full stop; 30 cal is probably as biggest as is tolerable (over longer shooting sessions). Larger than that is a recipe for developing a fear of your rifle. TBH personally I even don't think it's too wise to shoot full-power 308 loads in a chair with your rifle sitting on a bench next to you, but that's just IMO, each to their own.

IMO prone is better, especially if you've got it pocketed tight. Even better if you're strapped up nice and tight in a sling for prone supported offhand (i.e. fullbore)!
Last edited by in2anity on 22 Aug 2017, 5:24 pm, edited 3 times in total.
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by marksman » 22 Aug 2017, 5:09 pm

one thing I picked up a while ago when using a harris bipod is to extend the legs a little so you get a bit of flex for the straight back recoil
www.youtube.com/watch?v=2hh42VNxFkg&t=40s
www.youtube.com/watch?v=3CGEoDaYqw0&lis ... x=3&t=986s
these utube vids are from markandsam afterwork, very good info, the second was where I got the idea about the legs with a harris bipod
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Die Judicii » 22 Aug 2017, 6:57 pm

One thing not mentioned thus far that may possibly help or improve things for you (if there is a flinch issue) is to go back to basics and make sure you wear some good ear plugs or muffs.
It has been proven (even with seasoned shooters) that this can improve accuracy.

I have good results when shooting off a bench or other rests by making a point of not restraining the rifle at all,,,, forward of the pistol grip.
Simply hold the pistol grip (even if with a two handed grip) and let the rifle buck and or swing and do its thing.
Might sound crazy, but it works for me.
The same technique can also be utilized when using a bipod.

In fact, with some f/arms having a good tight restrictive grip is actually counter productive,,,, and I can't help wondering if this is what you may be experiencing.

Can't hurt to give it a go,,,,,,,,,,, :thumbsup:
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by bigfellascott » 22 Aug 2017, 7:51 pm

Try holding onto the bipod.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Browning » 22 Aug 2017, 8:17 pm

Go to the range or on a shoot with someone who's competent with a bipod...
It's really not that hard and u prolly just need a minor adjustment or two....
What range do you go to??
Browning
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Return to Centerfire rifles