is a .223 too big for a first time shooter?

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Re: is a .223 too big for a first time shooter?

Post by Tiger650 » 23 Aug 2017, 7:39 pm

bladeracer wrote:
Liam wrote:Yeah thanks guys it really helped out! Any suggestions on bolt action .22lr rifles?

Ruger American Rimfire Target would be my top choice.
https://youtu.be/9s_-N_wAlxg

The Ruger American Rimfire standard rifle [as opposed to the Target variant] has iron [non telescope] sights fitted as standard, if you are a young bloke with good eyesight it would be beneficial to learn to shoot with the irons, cost of .22 rimfire ammo will certainly help there.

Practice is essential, lots or rounds downrange with lots of thinking and analysis also, bugger practicing mistakes.

My view is that if you can learn to shoot the .22 RF competently over iron sights you will easily master the centrefire [fast and noisy] calibers.

Something worth considering is noise, the .22 RF is relatively quiet and noise is effectively part of perceived recoil, any adverse reaction to recoil will be hard to overcome, particularly if you are new to shooting.

If cost is an issue a good used 22 RF can be had for very reasonable cost and will be quiet re-salable if needed.

A good shooting coach would be invaluable, if you have a smallbore [.22 RF] range anywhere close maybe go speak to people, be aware that like any other sport there will possibly be "experts" who are not, you will work that out I am sure.
Tiger650
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by AusTac » 23 Aug 2017, 7:40 pm

My first ever shot of a rifle was a .223/5.56 semi-auto was a bit spoilt
Certified part time hillbilly
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by duncan61 » 23 Aug 2017, 7:43 pm

So its a matter of finding out when you make the purchase.Not sure I would like to put a .224 down a .223 bore its only 0.0254mm but it could get stuck
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by bladeracer » 23 Aug 2017, 7:44 pm

Tiger650 wrote:
bladeracer wrote:
Liam wrote:Yeah thanks guys it really helped out! Any suggestions on bolt action .22lr rifles?

Ruger American Rimfire Target would be my top choice.
https://youtu.be/9s_-N_wAlxg

The Ruger American Rimfire standard rifle [as opposed to the Target variant] has iron [non telescope] sights fitted as standard, if you are a young bloke with good eyesight it would be beneficial to learn to shoot with the irons, cost of .22 rimfire ammo will certainly help there.

Practice is essential, lots or rounds downrange with lots of thinking and analysis also, bugger practicing mistakes.

My view is that if you can learn to shoot the .22 RF competently over iron sights you will easily master the centrefire [fast and noisy] calibers.

Something worth considering is noise, the .22 RF is relatively quiet and noise is effectively part of perceived recoil, any adverse reaction to recoil will be hard to overcome, particularly if you are new to shooting.

If cost is an issue a good used 22 RF can be had for very reasonable cost and will be quiet re-salable if needed.

A good shooting coach would be invaluable, if you have a smallbore [.22 RF] range anywhere close maybe go speak to people, be aware that like any other sport there will possibly be "experts" who are not, you will work that out I am sure.

It's a good point. I have the Target and the Compact models, but I think I've used the irons on the Compact once, just to confirm they were zeroed. Never used them again. But it's certainly a useful skill for a new shooter to learn.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 23 Aug 2017, 7:45 pm

duncan61 wrote:So its a matter of finding out when you make the purchase.Not sure I would like to put a .224 down a .223 bore its only 0.0254mm but it could get stuck

No chance. I've shot .224" jacketed bullets through .22LR using the standard 40gn .223" lead charges with zero problems.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Member-Deleted » 23 Aug 2017, 7:52 pm

Go to a gun shop and ask for projectiles for 223 and they will give you 224 thats all my son uses in his 223

Cheers
Member-Deleted

Post by bladeracer » 23 Aug 2017, 7:53 pm

grandadbushy wrote:Go to a gun shop and ask for projectiles for 223 and they will give you 224 thats all my son uses in his 223

Cheers

That's because .223 Remington is a .224" bore, like the vast majority of all the .22-cal centrefires..
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by duncan61 » 23 Aug 2017, 7:56 pm

Thanks team good to know its all good
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by Rikta » 23 Aug 2017, 8:06 pm

Oldbloke wrote:
Rikta wrote:Just buy a big girl

Keep it clean mate. :o

Misquote much?
Rem .270
Howa .223
Ruger 22lr
Lanber 12g
Rossi 410g
Rikta
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Member-Deleted » 23 Aug 2017, 8:08 pm

Exactly that was my point why would they sell you 224 projectiles if 223 wasn't 224
The question ''Is a 223 too large of a gun for a first time shooter,'' Well that depends what you're going to shoot with it
and it all depends on what you want

The 223 cal is a good little caliber with little recoil and can pack a whollop as well also not a bad range of projectiles if you are going to reload
your own

Cheers
Member-Deleted

Post by Oldbloke » 23 Aug 2017, 9:47 pm

Rikta wrote:
Oldbloke wrote:
Rikta wrote:Just buy a big girl

Keep it clean mate. :o

Misquote much?

It was a joke.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by brett1868 » 23 Aug 2017, 10:14 pm

The caliber is a nominal size and not the exact bore of the barrel. The 22 caliber has a nominal bore of .224 as does the .223, 22-250, 220 Swift, .222 and the list goes on. Some rifles .303 can use bullets of a couple different diameters depending on materiel. The best reference is your reloading manual and the ADI site.
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by FlyingStick » 24 Aug 2017, 7:10 am

bladeracer wrote:
FlyingStick wrote:I started with a .223 and a 12GA Shotty. I recently bought a CZ455 which comes with the three barrels (22LR, 22WMR and 17HMR). I still look for the .223 when hunting, however the cost can be prohibitive if you're looking to just plink or have some target fun - hence me buying the CZ455 (although it's only sighted in with the 22WMR which I will use for hunting! Plan to also sight in 22LR and play around eventually). So guess it's a decision that should be based on "use".

Is there any value in these multi-barrel rifles?
How often do you use each of the barrels?
I assume you have to re-sight whenever you change them?
Do they take a few rounds to bed into place after swapping?
To me, it makes more sense to just buy three rifles in the calibers I want.

To be honest - I'm still not 100% sure. I got a good deal on the combo - it didn't make sense to get the single barrel to save only $100-$200 (don't quote me, just remember it was a great deal!) or so. For me - I can't see myself swapping out barrels all the time, what it does give me though is options. The biggest thing is I wasn't 100% whether I wanted the WMR or the LR given I already have the 223. I'm still working my mind around the properties I have available and therefore not sure yet what will work best. So what I've done is started with the WMR - if it turns out I'm better with the LR in a few months time, I can just swap it out and continue on rather than buy another rifle. Perhaps I'd like to give the 17 a shot in a year or so, pop the barrel on and on I go. That's the way I worked it out in my mind anyway :unknown: I doubt I'll ever be swapping barrels out for each trip - to me it seems like a pain in the ass having to sight it in every time I visit a prop. And in the end, putting the multi-barrels aside, all I could read about the CZ was that they were solid rifles - so my money was down.

In regards to answering your other questions - I'm told you do have to re-sight in, I'm also told it doesn't need more than a few clicks but I haven't tried it myself. Not sure about the bedding in either.
FlyingStick
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by Hangfire » 24 Aug 2017, 3:46 pm

First rifle should be a 22lr. And my good friend please do a s**t load of research. Respect the sport and study.
Hangfire
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Member-Deleted » 24 Aug 2017, 6:47 pm

Patience my friend patience he's only asking a few questions thats what this forum is for
Cheers
Member-Deleted

Post by Lokvo » 25 Aug 2017, 8:26 am

I was in a very similar boat as you OP when I was getting my first rifle about 8-9 months ago. I bought a 22LR first off the bat having shot other fellows 223 Rem's at the range. while the recoil wasn't very much at all looking back but at the time as a new shooter while it wasn't too much it was a heck of a lot compared to the 22LR. I'm glad I went 22LR first so I could learn the basic fundamentals (breathing, trigger control etc.) without needing to worry about any felt recoil at that stage. I moved up to a 223 not long after though (2-3 months) and the transition was awesome :)
CZ 455 Varmint .22LR w/ Nikon P-Rimfire 2-7x32 || Henry Lever H001TMV .22LR || Howa 1500 .223REM MDT HS3 Chassis w/ Leupold VX2 6-18x40
Lokvo
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by BRNO_Bigot » 25 Aug 2017, 10:46 am

bladeracer wrote:
Oldbloke wrote:22rf & 223. Both 224cal

223..22lr.jpg

To add to the confusion, .223 is .224" caliber, the .22LR and .22 Hornet are .223" :-)

SORRY - this was already discussed, but since I posted, I'll let it stand.

Even more confusing, the Hornet was .223 only up to about the 50s (IIRC) and then they also became .224.

You can get special "Hornet bullets" for reloading in .223 or the exact same bullets in .224.

This shooting thing is fun. :)
--
It's only when you look at an ant through a magnifying glass on a sunny
day that you realise how often they burst into flames.
BRNO_Bigot
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Australian Capital Territory

Post by scoobs » 25 Aug 2017, 11:20 pm

if your just wanting to learn while punching holes in paper targets, get a .22LR.

if you have somewhere to hunt etc, go a .223 :)
Tikka t3x super lite stainless .308/Nikon M-308 4-16x42 BDC-800.
Tikka T3X varmint stainless 22-250/Bushnell Trophy Extreme 6-24x50.
Lithgow LA101 22LR/bushnell rimfire 3-12x40
Adler a110 12Ga 20" tactical.
scoobs
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by burek » 26 Aug 2017, 10:30 am

scoobs wrote:if your just wanting to learn while punching holes in paper targets, get a .22LR.

if you have somewhere to hunt etc, go a .223 :)

This I reckon.

As a new shooter this year I did get a 223 since I have a mate to go hunt with. I have since also bought a 22LR for cheap plinking fun and subsonic practical use. Not that 223 is hard on the wallet but I guess it can add up.
burek
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by cracker » 28 Aug 2017, 10:40 am

.223 is an excellent round, how ever its bloody loud and will carry for a really long way if your a rubbish shot - consider this if your new to the sport.
.22lr is great fun, find a nice little pump action with iron sights and test your ability
cracker
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Member-Deleted » 28 Aug 2017, 7:03 pm

If you've had absolutely no experience with firearms at all then a 223 would be my second choice maybe first would be .22lr
until i built up my handling skills and all the little nicknacks that go with shooting
You will have tons of fun with the 22lr whilst doing so

Cheers
Member-Deleted

Previous

Return to Centerfire rifles