Be wary buying overseas products.

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Be wary buying overseas products.

Post by colinbentley » 26 Aug 2017, 1:01 pm

Couple of months ago I purchased on line from the US a Frankford Arsenal Precision Powder Scale which cost with shipping $128 Australian.It arrived a few weeks later and I was thrilled with the product.I loaded 20 cartridges and it seemed fine. But a few days later I came to use it again only to discover it would not calibrate. The 50 gram weight only weighed 39 grams and no amount of powder in the dish would move the scale off zero. The instructions in large print say, If you have a problem with this product DON"T RETURN IT TO THE STORE WHERE YOU PURCHASED IT. Contact customer service at Battenfield Technologies etc. So I did and offered to return it for repair but they were obliging and said it wasn't worth it and they would simply send me a replacement.The the problem. They discovered that according to US law the item could not be shipped to Australia.After a number of emails without resolution I contacted the company from whom I bought it and finally got a refund.So if you buy one of these scales just hope it doesn't break down you can't get it repaired. Having said all that it really is a fabulous scale.
colinbentley
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Re: Be wary buying overseas products.

Post by Supaduke » 26 Aug 2017, 1:22 pm

A fabulous scale that doesnt work....
Did i miss something?
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 26 Aug 2017, 2:34 pm

Yeah, I've had two issues with items purchased in oz from $200 to $300. Eventually both items were replaced. But it can be more difficult so only by cheapish stuff of the web now.
Still buy a lot of the web though.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by juststarting » 26 Aug 2017, 7:51 pm

We buy most things online. Including grocery shopping and on occasion, furniture.
---
https://reloadingstudio.com
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by BRNO_Bigot » 26 Aug 2017, 8:08 pm

colinbentley wrote:Couple of months ago I purchased on line from the US a Frankford Arsenal Precision Powder Scale which cost with shipping $128 Australian.It arrived a few weeks later and I was thrilled with the product.I loaded 20 cartridges and it seemed fine. But a few days later I came to use it again only to discover it would not calibrate. The 50 gram weight only weighed 39 grams and no amount of powder in the dish would move the scale off zero. The instructions in large print say, If you have a problem with this product DON"T RETURN IT TO THE STORE WHERE YOU PURCHASED IT. Contact customer service at Battenfield Technologies etc. So I did and offered to return it for repair but they were obliging and said it wasn't worth it and they would simply send me a replacement.The the problem. They discovered that according to US law the item could not be shipped to Australia.After a number of emails without resolution I contacted the company from whom I bought it and finally got a refund.So if you buy one of these scales just hope it doesn't break down you can't get it repaired. Having said all that it really is a fabulous scale.

Seems to me that by refunding your money, they did the right thing. None of us can be responsible for laws across territories and the way they change ....
--
It's only when you look at an ant through a magnifying glass on a sunny
day that you realise how often they burst into flames.
BRNO_Bigot
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Australian Capital Territory

Post by AusTac » 26 Aug 2017, 9:15 pm

You win some and you loose some, nothing will ever replace buying something from a shop in person, you might pay a bit more but thats just the way it is
Certified part time hillbilly
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by bigfellascott » 26 Aug 2017, 9:17 pm

How can one company sell them to OS yet the other one who manufactures them cant? :unknown:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by marksman » 26 Aug 2017, 10:02 pm

bigfellascott wrote:How can one company sell them to OS yet the other one who manufactures them cant? :unknown:

usually it is because they are a company who make the item or a distributor and have made agreements with the Australian distributors that they will not sell to our country, this is why you can have most things sent by ebay as they are not distributors

and no offence colinbentley but IMO you can have the same problems with Australian company's
I had a problem with an American night vision scope, the Australian distributor told me it was bad luck for me and the warranty did not cover it
I emailed the American company who told the distributor to replace my scope under warranty, by the way I was covered by Australian warranty legislation
but there is no body that you can go to apart from paying for vcat to get it resolved
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by brett1868 » 26 Aug 2017, 10:36 pm

marksman wrote:
bigfellascott wrote:How can one company sell them to OS yet the other one who manufactures them cant? :unknown:

usually it is because they are a company who make the item or a distributor and have made agreements with the Australian distributors that they will not sell to our country, this is why you can have most things sent by ebay as they are not distributors

and no offence colinbentley but IMO you can have the same problems with Australian company's
I had a problem with an American night vision scope, the Australian distributor told me it was bad luck for me and the warranty did not cover it
I emailed the American company who told the distributor to replace my scope under warranty, by the way I was covered by Australian warranty legislation
but there is no body that you can go to apart from paying for vcat to get it resolved

I'm guessing that it was an ATN :)
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by marksman » 27 Aug 2017, 8:55 am

I would say good guess
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by colinbentley » 27 Aug 2017, 11:45 am

It is not the first time I have had a problem with something associated with shooting bought on line from the US.They have without exception been fantastic at resoling the issues and usually just replace the item . The company I first approached to report the fault told me that just because other companies would ship items to Australia doesn't mean that they are doing it legally. Also just because my scales may have been damaged in transit does not detract fro the fact this a great product. It is just that if it breaks down there is a problem getting it repaired and returned.This was about the fourth electronic scale I had tried and was far superior.
colinbentley
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by marksman » 27 Aug 2017, 12:26 pm

there is nothing at all illegal about sending a set of reloading scales over from America mate
as I explained before it is that the manufacturer or distributor has made agreements with the Australian distributors not to sell to us so we have to buy from the Australian distributors for a big mark up, no different than say optics planet will not send a leupold scope over to Australia because they are a leupold distributor but the riflescope store will because they are not, I do understand what you are saying I buy quite a bit from America from time to time, and very lucky to have a daughter who lives over there so I can get things sent that normally would not be able to
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Norton » 29 Aug 2017, 3:06 pm

marksman wrote:there is nothing at all illegal about sending a set of reloading scales over from America mate

I was thinking that had to be a furphy too.
CZ 550 American Safari Magnum in .416 Rigby

Other puny calibre rifles... What man would want you now?
Norton
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by wrenchman » 30 Aug 2017, 2:26 am

a lot of the dumb laws are on our side a guy across the river had a shot gun barrel in cannada customs wouldnt let it come over threw the mail any thing fire arms related they get nutty we took a day and drove aver and got it.
i bet if it said food scale it would sail right threw.
wrenchman
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by wrenchman » 30 Aug 2017, 2:28 am

i have thought about sending a few things to you guys but worry customs would keep it
wrenchman
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Return to Centerfire rifles