Marlin 336SS 30-30

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Marlin 336SS 30-30

Post by Pythonkeeper » 28 Aug 2017, 9:14 pm

Picked this one up a couple of weeks ago, hoping to hassle a pig or two with it.
Fit and finish was pretty good out of the box, action was reasonably smooth but I felt it could be smoother so I pulled it apart and took to it with some 800-1200 grit wet'n'dry, some mini files a dremel and some metal polish, debured and polished everything, the finish internally was pretty rough, lots of burs, sharp edges and metal filings, once I'd finished cleaning it all up and got it reassembled the action is now silky smooth.
Finally got to take it out for a spin this past weekend, first up I bore sighted it by eye at 50 and within 3 or 4 shots I had it shooting where I want it, took it out to 100 and with a couple of adjustments to the scope she was shooting well, no laser and I wasn't expecting it to be but way more than ample accuracy for hunting which is its intended use.
Had a bit of fun with it for an hour or so shooting targets such as paper plates, fruit and cans off the rest, bipod and off hand at different distances, speed shooting etc to get familiar with it, something about it put a big smile on my face, was just plain fun to shoot.
Took it on its first walk the next morning and a few more long walks over a three day period, I wouldn't call it a light gun but it feels very balanced making it comfortable to carry for hours at a time, overall I was very impressed with it, looks good, feels good, shoots good, it's nice little rifle.
I'd like to tell you I downed a few pigs with it but they were a no show this trip unfortunately, I had an enjoyable time nonetheless.
Attachments
IMG_4750.JPG
IMG_4750.JPG (1.27 MiB) Viewed 6673 times
IMG_4762.JPG
IMG_4762.JPG (1.63 MiB) Viewed 6673 times
IMG_4757.JPG
IMG_4757.JPG (1.78 MiB) Viewed 6673 times
IMG_4751.JPG
IMG_4751.JPG (1.74 MiB) Viewed 6673 times
Pythonkeeper
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Re: Marlin 336SS 30-30

Post by in2anity » 29 Aug 2017, 6:02 am

Very nice - will you be using this rifle for hunting purposes mainly?
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Daddybang » 29 Aug 2017, 7:49 am

That's a nice bit of kit . Been thinking about a 30.30 for my next purchase will have to have a look at one of these. :thumbsup:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by wrenchman » 29 Aug 2017, 8:50 am

thats nice
wrenchman
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Die Judicii » 29 Aug 2017, 11:12 am

Hi there Python,
At any stage either before or after your cleanup and polish session,,,, did you experience any difficulty/tightness in opening it immediately after firing ?

I've got the XLR SS and right from brand new I had that problem.
Even though I did a cleanup and polish of mine (including hours of cycling while watching TV) it still is hard to open immediately after a shot.
Given 10 or 15 seconds it always opens smoothly,,,,,, but not immediately after the shot.

Just wondering if you had the same issue or not, and if so, any suggestions for mine ?
:unknown:
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Wm.Traynor » 29 Aug 2017, 11:45 am

Looks good mate :D
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by ebr love » 29 Aug 2017, 3:27 pm

in2anity wrote:Very nice - will you be using this rifle for hunting purposes mainly?

I sense goats in it's future...
TIKKA T3 TAC .300 WIN MAG
HOW SPORTER 270 WIN
HOWA YOUTH .204 RUGER
MARLIN 1889 .38-40
ebr love
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Pythonkeeper » 29 Aug 2017, 6:07 pm

in2anity wrote:Very nice - will you be using this rifle for hunting purposes mainly?

Hi mate, yes pretty much exclusively for hunting.
Pythonkeeper
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Pythonkeeper » 29 Aug 2017, 6:11 pm

Die Judicii wrote:Hi there Python,
At any stage either before or after your cleanup and polish session,,,, did you experience any difficulty/tightness in opening it immediately after firing ?

I've got the XLR SS and right from brand new I had that problem.
Even though I did a cleanup and polish of mine (including hours of cycling while watching TV) it still is hard to open immediately after a shot.
Given 10 or 15 seconds it always opens smoothly,,,,,, but not immediately after the shot.

Just wondering if you had the same issue or not, and if so, any suggestions for mine ?
:unknown:

Hi DJ, I didn't fire it at all before the polish, but no I haven't had any such issue with mine, it cycles very smoothly through the whole tube/mag at any speed, have put 100 rounds through it so far.
Pythonkeeper
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Pythonkeeper » 29 Aug 2017, 6:12 pm

ebr love wrote:

I sense goats in it's future...

I hope your senses are right :thumbsup: ...
Pythonkeeper
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by in2anity » 29 Aug 2017, 7:29 pm

It's a bit anecdotal, but what I've seen the SS versions could be (generally) slightly more accurate than the cheaper blued versions; that's what I have and I kind of regret not spending that bit of extra to get the SS. Very nice bit of kit indeed mate :thumbsup: FWIW If you're ever interested in trying some cast lead, try a 165gr .310 over ~17.0gr of AR2207, that's what my 336W loves to eat most!
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Die Judicii » 29 Aug 2017, 8:09 pm

100_3431.JPG
100_3431.JPG (616.35 KiB) Viewed 6521 times
I find mine to be reliably accurate in the stainless, but then again, I've never fired one that's blued so I can't compare.

On the other hand, looking at Pythons,,,,,, I would prefer your timber around my Stainless, rather than the laminate.
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Pythonkeeper » 29 Aug 2017, 8:29 pm

Die Judicii wrote:
100_3431.JPG
I find mine to be reliably accurate in the stainless, but then again, I've never fired one that's blued so I can't compare.

On the other hand, looking at Pythons,,,,,, I would prefer your timber around my Stainless, rather than the laminate.

It's a tough one Die, I rather like the grey laminate also and was tempted by the XLR but wanted the shorter barrel, even toyed with getting the XLR and having the barrel chopped, the black walnut stock on mine is hell sexy though, hopping to get an SBL one of these days soon so I can get my grey laminate fix if I end up with one of of them.
Pythonkeeper
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Pythonkeeper » 29 Aug 2017, 8:31 pm

in2anity wrote:It's a bit anecdotal, but what I've seen the SS versions could be (generally) slightly more accurate than the cheaper blued versions; that's what I have and I kind of regret not spending that bit of extra to get the SS. Very nice bit of kit indeed mate :thumbsup: FWIW If you're ever interested in trying some cast lead, try a 165gr .310 over ~17.0gr of AR2207, that's what my 336W loves to eat most!

Cheers, if I go down the reloading path I'll be sure to refer back to this post.
Pythonkeeper
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by brett1868 » 29 Aug 2017, 11:25 pm

I'm thinking photography is another of your interests, great pictures, well composed and better then many I've seen in magazines. Did you chamfer the edge of the loading gate and lower edge of the lever whilst you had the Dremel out?
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by pomemax » 29 Aug 2017, 11:45 pm

Mine is a big loop 336
Attachments
samsung5 028.jpg
samsung5 028.jpg (84.16 KiB) Viewed 6505 times
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by wrenchman » 30 Aug 2017, 1:48 am

there are 3 levar actions in my house 2 winchester and a marlin 336 the 336 is a very smoth action all are older guns my son now calls the 336 his
wrenchman
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Pythonkeeper » 30 Aug 2017, 5:15 am

brett1868 wrote:I'm thinking photography is another of your interests, great pictures, well composed and better then many I've seen in magazines. Did you chamfer the edge of the loading gate and lower edge of the lever whilst you had the Dremel out?

Hey Brett, thanks, they are just phone pics, but no I'm actually not much into taking pictures at all......true story, no sarcasm....I think I've got an eye for it sometimes but not the patience for it allot of the time.

Sure did mate, so many razor sharp edges on the whole thing, I cut my fingers twice being careful getting into nooks and crannies, but yes I did pay particular attention to those two points, the carrier was another part that required some extra loving also, a job worth doing though, made a hell of a difference.
Pythonkeeper
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Pythonkeeper » 30 Aug 2017, 5:17 am

pomemax wrote:Mine is a big loop 336

This was another of the 336 models that was on my short list, very nice pom.

I really like the blued versions as well, I was lucky that this one was on special at the time when I was looking, it was the same price as the blued walnut 336C so I saved around $300, if the SS wasn't on special I probably would have gone blued.
Pythonkeeper
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 31 Aug 2017, 9:58 am

Yeah,,,,,,,,,, I meant to say the other day but forgot,,
I concur 110% with Brett about your photos.
They are without doubt the best pics I've seen,,, everything about them compliments each other facet.

Firearms are very difficult to photograph properly at the best of times.

Take a bow mate,,,, you are without doubt in the wrong profession,,,,, Take up photography for a loving. :thumbsup:
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Bridgy » 31 Aug 2017, 10:44 pm

Loving these 336 photos, I'm currently looking at them now. Either ordering a big loop and waiting months for it to come and the PTA to come in, or just pulling the trigger (heh) on a 336c on the shelves of local gun stores.

Question for the owners out there, do some timber stocks seem 'brighter'? One I checked out during the week, stamped 336c, was very dark timber... I know they're black walnut but this honestly looked like a plastic finish because of how dark it is. Am I best off looking for something with a lighter timber on it?

Some beautiful looking rifles in here!
Bridgy
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Post by in2anity » 01 Sep 2017, 8:15 am

Bridgy wrote:Loving these 336 photos, I'm currently looking at them now. Either ordering a big loop and waiting months for it to come and the PTA to come in, or just pulling the trigger (heh) on a 336c on the shelves of local gun stores.

Question for the owners out there, do some timber stocks seem 'brighter'? One I checked out during the week, stamped 336c, was very dark timber... I know they're black walnut but this honestly looked like a plastic finish because of how dark it is. Am I best off looking for something with a lighter timber on it?

Some beautiful looking rifles in here!

If I were you, if possible and your budget allows, I'd definitely be waiting for a big loop for another reason besides aesthetics. The big-loop has a forend cap instead of a rear barrel-band; they are generally more accurate than the traditional double barrel-banded versions because particularly the rear barrel band pulls down on the barrel when the barrel heats up (resulting in inconsistent harmonics and ultimately a drop in accuracy).
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Die Judicii » 01 Sep 2017, 12:53 pm

Another good reason to wait for the big loop is,,, if you have big hands or wear gloves in the cold weather, it is too easy to pop the lever at the most inconvenient of times, on the basic loop models.
Not a real biggie, but damm annoying sometimes.
Wish I'd got the big loop on mine.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Bridgy » 01 Sep 2017, 1:37 pm

Thanks for the advice guys. I've been doing a fair bit of reading into getting accuracy out of the C's (sanding down forestock and so on) but by the time I do that, buy a bigger loop and so on I'd have spent as much as a big loop would cost from the factory.

Anyway, sorry for derailing the thread!
Bridgy
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Post by in2anity » 01 Sep 2017, 2:48 pm

sungazer wrote:Gota say I think the smaller loop is more attractive. I really like that SS with the walnut. Also like the gold and agree it would really look the goods with a true wood. I have really gone off the laminates.

Agreed - I'd love a 336bl with a small lever and nice walnut stock. Would also likely be a sub 2moa lever gun :thumbsup:
Last edited by in2anity on 01 Sep 2017, 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Bridgy » 01 Sep 2017, 7:32 pm

For those interested:

http://rangerpointstore.com/shop-all/ma ... op-levers/

I put a deposit on a 336c today, couldn't help myself. Ordering one of these to suit (PTA is 6 week wait at the moment so no rush :( )
Bridgy
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Post by Pythonkeeper » 01 Sep 2017, 9:09 pm

Bridgy wrote:For those interested:

http://rangerpointstore.com/shop-all/ma ... op-levers/

I put a deposit on a 336c today, couldn't help myself. Ordering one of these to suit (PTA is 6 week wait at the moment so no rush :( )

Nice find, the medium loop looks good, best of both worlds....you won't be disappointed in your new purchase, fun rifle to own and operate, you going to scope it?
I didn't much like the factory iron sight so installed the XS rail and ghost ring sights, I don't have the ghost ring installed at the moment due to only having low rings (already had them), when I get around to it I'll get the right height quick release rings so I can have the ghost ring installed for backup or if I feel like kicking it old school.... :thumbsup:

Thanks for the kind words re my pics guys.... :drinks:
Pythonkeeper
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by PoorShot300 » 30 Sep 2017, 2:53 pm

Looks like DJ and I share the same taste in levers, though my photography is not as good :P
Attachments
DSC_0620.JPG
DSC_0620.JPG (947.74 KiB) Viewed 6150 times
PoorShot300
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by in2anity » 30 Sep 2017, 5:36 pm

PoorShot300 wrote:Looks like DJ and I share the same taste in levers, though my photography is not as good :P

Dafuq? A lever with a bipod? :shock:
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Pythonkeeper » 11 Aug 2018, 12:59 pm

Well I went in to the local dealer with intentions of purchasing a Lithgow LA101 17 hmr yesterday.......came home with a lay-by slip for a Marlin 1895 SBL.....17 hmr is gonna have to wait I guess....watch this space for SBL pics, just gotta sort out PTA and she’s coming home... :D

Funny thing is, I never used to much like lever guns but now whenever opening the safe to just have a fondle of my guns the 336SS is usually the first thing I pickup and give the most attention, same goes for hunting, definitely my favourite pig gun...can’t wait to get the big dog and try it out.....
Pythonkeeper
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Next

Return to Centerfire rifles