new ruger just found about

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Re: new ruger just found about

Post by bladeracer » 05 Sep 2017, 6:36 pm

marksman wrote:IMO and this is just MO

I agree with what you have said bladeracer
the newer budget rifle's on the market are pretty good out of the box but are not made to last as long as the older but better made rifles, the fit (glue gun bedding),
parts (plastic and tin) and finish is crap on most but the salesman gives it a new name to make it the bees knees or the ducks nuts gotta have one
like most things IMO these days budget throw away, I do believe they have there place though,
I could give example's but I'm not gonna because I don't want to be hanging crap on someones favourite toy
picking your firearm is a personal thing what I like you may not
I like the older mk1 rugers myself (one of my toys being rebuilt at the moment) and have been on cdi's back for over a year now to get a box mag setup made for the tang safety models, they make them for the hawkeye, that reminds me I better email again

I disagree, I think they're made to last better than something that has compromised performance or durability in order to appear pleasing to the eye or touch, and while being used more roughly and often. I've never seen any glue gun bedding. The Rugers are bedded on two steel V-blocks pressed into the poly stock. The steel action really doesn't contact the plastic anywhere at all, it just sits on those blocks. Not sure what you mean by tin, I don't think I've ever seen tin on any rifle, but the plastics are pretty good nowadays - not like the old Remington Nylon-66. And Ruger's bluing is very, very nice in my opinion. Reminds me of the black chrome that Suzuki used on their motorcycle mufflers through the eighties. But for a rifle I prefer the matt finish they put on the RAR centrefires.

I think the Ruger No.1 is another beautiful piece of artwork. As I said, I can appreciate beauty and craftsmanship, but I wouldn't want to take it outdoors.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by marksman » 05 Sep 2017, 8:22 pm

and what they should be bedded in
I like good looking firearms but they are never just to look at
this one is 40 odd years old, bedded and trigger lightened but still factory, will the new budget rifles be around in another 40 years, I guarantee this one will be
its a fact that a lot of so called new and better improvements made in these rifles are just cost cutting not an improvement at all,
what I see such as new rifle triggers made with a lot of cast and tin parts that I think are intended to be upgraded not kept for a long time
I suppose it comes down to what you will except as good enough and as I said picking a firearm is a personal thing

ps. I would also like to add that I have seen some of these budget rifles shoot that good that it made me think why do customise
eg. I have seen 2 ruger Americans that shot one hole groups from the box but I am not sure for how long it will last
Last edited by marksman on 05 Sep 2017, 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 05 Sep 2017, 8:42 pm

sungazer wrote:My first gun was a Ruger 10/22 it is a bit hard to remember the exact details. I dont think it had a barrel band like I have seen on some of the newer ones. It had a beautiful piece of timber. I remember oiling and polishing that stock. It also had pretty good accuracy. I would put it in the category of craftsmanship and art. I still took it out plinking rabbits as there were heaps of them back then. But to be honest the gun pictured here just looks like a toy. The plastic stock send shivers down my spine I think the colour of it makes it worse. Probably the light colour is what puts me off. Anyway that just my opinion, everyone has one and I respect that. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

My first was a 10/22 as well :-)
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by wrenchman » 06 Sep 2017, 2:53 am

i do like a hi blue finish or stainless steel but there is nothing wrong with the lower cost guns and will last there is a lot less hand work in them
wrenchman
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by bear foot bowhunter » 05 Nov 2017, 12:57 am

Has anyone given the .450 bushmaster a go ? Whats it like ?be a cool caliber if it took of like the .300blk but way expensiv for ammo . read some where. 3006 brass could be cut down and resized is that true ?
bear foot bowhunter
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by wrenchman » 05 Nov 2017, 8:25 am

that is a nice rifle
wrenchman
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Previous