new ruger just found about

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

new ruger just found about

Post by wrenchman » 01 Sep 2017, 1:19 am

i have not got to hold one yet was wondering if any of you guys have seen them yet
Attachments
AmRifleRanch762.jpg
AmRifleRanch762.jpg (140.6 KiB) Viewed 6805 times
wrenchman
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Re: new ruger just found about

Post by Cryptic » 01 Sep 2017, 1:49 am

Was only announced on their Facebook 22 hours ago so doubt they will be out there in supply that quick lol.
Cryptic
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Rikta » 01 Sep 2017, 9:47 am

always wanted a 7.62x39 in a small rifle for creek walking, this looks nice, after buying my ruger american 22lr i could handle one of these with a grin on my face
Rem .270
Howa .223
Ruger 22lr
Lanber 12g
Rossi 410g
Rikta
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by wrenchman » 01 Sep 2017, 10:14 am

the real neat thing is it takes the mini 30 magazine
wrenchman
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by in2anity » 01 Sep 2017, 10:23 am

Certainly ticks a lot of boxes.
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by wrenchman » 01 Sep 2017, 10:44 am

by the way i did not realize they just came out cryptic thank you
wrenchman
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by bladeracer » 01 Sep 2017, 2:59 pm

wrenchman wrote:i have not got to hold one yet was wondering if any of you guys have seen them yet

I saw that yesterday and I like it.
I already shoot .311" bullets in .303 and 7.62x54R so another one is easy. I haven't been able to determine if it has a .308" bore or .310" bore, not that it really matters. The 10"-twist means it won't shoot the heavy bullets of the 300BLK but I reckon it'd still be fun.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Ben78 » 01 Sep 2017, 3:10 pm

If you'd like this maybe consider 6.5 grendel in the Howa Mini Action?
Ben78
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Cooper » 01 Sep 2017, 6:23 pm

Ben78 wrote:If you'd like this maybe consider 6.5 grendel in the Howa Mini Action?

The Howa mini comes in 7.63x39 doesn't it? Actually haven't seen a 6.5 Grendel one for sale? I know they are meant to be available
Cooper
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by in2anity » 01 Sep 2017, 6:50 pm

Ben78 wrote:If you'd like this maybe consider 6.5 grendel in the Howa Mini Action?

That's the big question isn't it; Howa MA vs Ruger Ranch. Which one do you guys think is superior? And whats the price point on two equivalents?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 01 Sep 2017, 7:29 pm

in2anity wrote:

That's the big question isn't it; Howa MA vs Ruger Ranch. Which one do you guys think is superior? And whats the price point on two equivalents?

The Howa MA 7.62x39mm is currently $609 for the 22" and $649 for the 20" Varmint.

Is there any advantage to 6.5mm Grendel outside of an AR15 action?

6.5mm Creedmoor fits the short action.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Rikta » 01 Sep 2017, 7:45 pm

Personally if I had to choose between howa and ruger, I would take Howa all day. In regards to this gun however I like the idea of those magazines.
Rem .270
Howa .223
Ruger 22lr
Lanber 12g
Rossi 410g
Rikta
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by in2anity » 01 Sep 2017, 9:36 pm

Rikta wrote:Personally if I had to choose between howa and ruger, I would take Howa all day. In regards to this gun however I like the idea of those magazines.

Legit question; why do you prefer the howa? Have you shot both of them?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Rikta » 01 Sep 2017, 10:06 pm

in2anity wrote:
Rikta wrote:Personally if I had to choose between howa and ruger, I would take Howa all day. In regards to this gun however I like the idea of those magazines.

Legit question; why do you prefer the howa? Have you shot both of them?

Own a Ruger American in 22lr, build quality is nice and admittedly usually rimfires can be a bit less spectacular than centerfires for things like a nice quiet bolt etc... but compared to my Howa the Ruger is just nowhere as nice...
Rem .270
Howa .223
Ruger 22lr
Lanber 12g
Rossi 410g
Rikta
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by gazza » 02 Sep 2017, 7:33 am

Did WA ban the 7615 because it takes AR 15 mags?
gazza
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by Dunxy » 02 Sep 2017, 10:40 am

A friend showed me his Howa the other day ( I was also ogling one at the range yesterday) and i was very impressed by the build! I do have a penchant for Japanese stuff. Im also looking at Ruger VS Howa ,but for a long range precision rifle in 6.5 Creedmore. The RPR does look lovely, however it is a bit on the heavy side.I was trying to find a weight for the Howa 1500 Long in the MDT HS3 chassis but couldn't find anything.It more conventional stocks it does seem on the light side so im crossing my fingers its lighter than the Ruger!
Not enough characters!
Dunxy
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by BRNO_Bigot » 02 Sep 2017, 1:15 pm

In 7.62x39 I'd be going CZ - see my screen name for why.

No real reason, but that's what I'd do.
--
It's only when you look at an ant through a magnifying glass on a sunny
day that you realise how often they burst into flames.
BRNO_Bigot
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Australian Capital Territory

Post by bladeracer » 02 Sep 2017, 2:53 pm

Dunxy wrote:A friend showed me his Howa the other day ( I was also ogling one at the range yesterday) and i was very impressed by the build! I do have a penchant for Japanese stuff. Im also looking at Ruger VS Howa ,but for a long range precision rifle in 6.5 Creedmore. The RPR does look lovely, however it is a bit on the heavy side.I was trying to find a weight for the Howa 1500 Long in the MDT HS3 chassis but couldn't find anything.It more conventional stocks it does seem on the light side so im crossing my fingers its lighter than the Ruger!

I can't tell you exactly what the Howa in the MDT would weigh but I can give you some idea.
The MDT LSS bare chassis is 780gm inletted for the Ruger American Short Action.
The grip is roughly 100gm depending on style and material.
The 10-rd .308 AICS mag is 70gm empty.
An M4 collapsible stock with 5-position carbine buffer tube, castle nut and cheek riser is 580gm

The RAR poly-stock (with butt pad, swivels and V-blocks) is 590gms.

So I would expect the MDT LSS chassis to increase the weight of a polymer rifle by roughly a kilo depending on your peripheral choices.

My RAR .243 Predator MDT LSS is 5.33kg with 10-rd AICS mag,Hornady rubber bolt ball, 5-position M4 buffer tube, castle nut, MDT MOE fixed carbine stock, cheek riser, rubber but pad, steel flash hider, two 120mm pic rails on bottom of fore end and left side of receiver, A2 hollow grip, six-inch bipod, and AR Optics 4.5-18x40 scope in non-QD rings with flip-up covers.

Ruger lists the RAR .243 Predator at 2.993kg.
Bushnell lists the scope at 609gm.

So I would expect the original rifle and scope to be around 3.65kg. I probably have weighed it but I'm not finding any record just now.
Attachments
020920172580.jpg
020920172580.jpg (1.02 MiB) Viewed 6533 times
020920172576.jpg
020920172576.jpg (1.95 MiB) Viewed 6533 times
020920172571.jpg
020920172571.jpg (1.66 MiB) Viewed 6533 times
Last edited by bladeracer on 04 Sep 2017, 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 02 Sep 2017, 3:32 pm

The mags are the only thing that bothers me about this one. I need to get some 7.62x39mm ammo and see if it'll feed through the .308 AICS mags. If it won't then this won't work in the MDT chassis like all my other RAR's.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Rikta » 02 Sep 2017, 4:46 pm

Dunxy wrote:A friend showed me his Howa the other day ( I was also ogling one at the range yesterday) and i was very impressed by the build! I do have a penchant for Japanese stuff. Im also looking at Ruger VS Howa ,but for a long range precision rifle in 6.5 Creedmore. The RPR does look lovely, however it is a bit on the heavy side.I was trying to find a weight for the Howa 1500 Long in the MDT HS3 chassis but couldn't find anything.It more conventional stocks it does seem on the light side so im crossing my fingers its lighter than the Ruger!

http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/201 ... rifle-hcr/
Rem .270
Howa .223
Ruger 22lr
Lanber 12g
Rossi 410g
Rikta
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by juststarting » 04 Sep 2017, 9:10 pm

I was thinking exactly the same thing, but for completely different reasons. I'd love something cheap, lite and really compact, in 7.62x39. But this mag seems like it would make it uncomfortable to carry for hours. I think I need to see it in person... Could potentially replace (compliment, rather) my go to x-bolt 308 for hunting.
---
https://reloadingstudio.com
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 04 Sep 2017, 9:19 pm

juststarting wrote:I was thinking exactly the same thing, but for completely different reasons. I'd love something cheap, lite and really compact, in 7.62x39. But this mag seems like it would make it uncomfortable to carry for hours. I think I need to see it in person... Could potentially replace (compliment, rather) my go to x-bolt 308 for hunting.

The five-round Mini-30 mag is a fair bit shorter.
Or carry it empty with the mag in your pocket until it's required.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by juststarting » 04 Sep 2017, 9:33 pm

Heh, yeah, don't think deer will wait for me to load. That said, I looked a bit more into it, I didn't realised that 7.62x39 is so lite, for 30cal. Most factory ammo seems to be around 120-something grains, which makes me think twist wouldn't accomodate 165gr+. Then read your earlier post (about that) and beginning to think that it's a no go from the start :/
---
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 04 Sep 2017, 10:27 pm

juststarting wrote:Heh, yeah, don't think deer will wait for me to load. That said, I looked a bit more into it, I didn't realised that 7.62x39 is so lite, for 30cal. Most factory ammo seems to be around 120-something grains, which makes me think twist wouldn't accomodate 165gr+. Then read your earlier post (about that) and beginning to think that it's a no go from the start :/

Most .303's are 10" twist I think and they shoot heavier than 165's.
I need to remember to pick up some 7.62x39mm ammo next time I'm in town and see if it cycles through the 7mm-08 with the AICS magazine. If it does then it should work in the MDT chassis.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by juststarting » 04 Sep 2017, 10:36 pm

Yeah, also keen to read more about running 308 through it, rather than 303 (which could be 3105, 311...). Anyway, yeah need more research. But I kind of like it.
---
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by juststarting » 04 Sep 2017, 10:37 pm

uh damn mm to " conversions! All look the same around .311 damn it, everyone should use mm
---
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by wrenchman » 05 Sep 2017, 12:05 am

my late father inlaw had a howa in 7.62x39 the finish was nicer then his ruger american that was 308 i felt that the bolt handle could have been a little larger on howa
the real short turn on the ruger is nice i would like both and are well made,
when ruger first come out with the american it was to offer a gun at a lower cost to compeat with savage and rem i think they very good .
wrenchman
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by bladeracer » 05 Sep 2017, 9:52 am

juststarting wrote:uh damn mm to " conversions! All look the same around .311 damn it, everyone should use mm

While I do agree with you, I don't like the European conversions for bullet weight, charge weight and bullet diameters. I prefer the precision of using thousandths of an inch, and keeping all the digits to the right of the decimal. 5.56mm just gets contracted to "five-five-six" anyway.
There's not really any problem shooting .311" bullets down the .308" tube, as long as you're aware of the extra pressures when loading. And sometimes a .308" bullet down a .311" tube works fine as well.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 05 Sep 2017, 10:18 am

wrenchman wrote:my late father inlaw had a howa in 7.62x39 the finish was nicer then his ruger american that was 308 i felt that the bolt handle could have been a little larger on howa
the real short turn on the ruger is nice i would like both and are well made,
when ruger first come out with the american it was to offer a gun at a lower cost to compeat with savage and rem i think they very good .

I often shoot with gloves so I've put the Hornady Bolt Ball on my Rugers and don't find it obtrusive at all.
https://www.hornady.com/shop/accessories/shooting-accessories/lock-n-load-bolt-ball

I've never understood why so many shooters look down on the cheaper models. They're not a flash aesthetic ornament that's been uglyfied down to a price. They're very good rifles that have been designed from scratch to perform at a fixed price. I can drool over a Brno Model 2 all day long, as a piece of art, not as a shootable tool of enjoyment. I wouldn't hang one of my father's paintings in a paddock, and I wouldn't take a Brno out there either. I understand that others might like to hunt with a piece of beauty, but not all of us do.

I think the Ruger, Howa and Savage are fairly similar in ability, and I think most people would struggle to find serious fault with any of them. The Remington though I don't think much of. Even the 700 I think it's mainly selling these days on reputation and massive aftermarket support. I don't know if Winchester still makes rifles, haven't seen any for a very long time.

I think Ruger has the best grasp of marketing a product based on what the buyers want, except I do wish somebody would make aftermarket box mags for them :-)
I bought a mag loader which does take the fiddliness out of loading them, but doesn't make unloading them any easier and does nothing to fix the bulkiness in your pocket.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by marksman » 05 Sep 2017, 6:19 pm

IMO and this is just MO

I agree with what you have said bladeracer
the newer budget rifle's on the market are pretty good out of the box but are not made to last as long as the older but better made rifles, the fit (glue gun bedding),
parts (plastic and tin) and finish is crap on most but the salesman gives it a new name to make it the bees knees or the ducks nuts gotta have one
like most things IMO these days budget throw away, I do believe they have there place though,
I could give example's but I'm not gonna because I don't want to be hanging crap on someones favourite toy
picking your firearm is a personal thing what I like you may not
I like the older mk1 rugers myself (one of my toys being rebuilt at the moment) and have been on cdi's back for over a year now to get a box mag setup made for the tang safety models, they make them for the hawkeye, that reminds me I better email again
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Next

Return to Centerfire rifles