Howa 7.62 x 39

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Re: Howa 7.62 x 39

Post by Gwion » 18 Sep 2017, 5:40 pm

Not having a go, Hugh. Just debating pros and cons.

I'm sure as long as you are sure of your shot and take out the central nervous system you will be fine within a reasonable range. Just wouldn't be the first choice of cartridge if no medical requirements were involved.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Oldbloke » 18 Sep 2017, 5:41 pm

"Military gives this round out of AK 47 lethal to 450 metres."

People aren't sambar. Good luck, I do understand your situation. Just be very selective when pulling the trigger.

Might bump into you in a few weeks. Would be good. :thumbsup:
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 18 Sep 2017, 5:46 pm

Gwion wrote:
bladeracer wrote:
Gwion wrote:Now how the *#%$ did that s**t happen!?! :crazy:

That's exactly my point :-)
You only need look at warfare to see the random results inherent in ballistics. An 8x57mm bullet through the brain with full recovery, .22LR in the arm that opens an artery and you die. Or crime when a point-blank shotgun blast to the face doesn't kill the estranged wife.

No, you miss my point.

How the hell do two pets get shot with a 22lr at the same time???

We were living on a farm property with a farmer/butcher who was mad, I mean literally crazy. One morning we woke up to discover that he'd shot them, supposedly for barking. But it was his dog that was always bloody barking, it used to drive us nuts. We never got any sensible reason, but it was the last straw so we moved elsewhere. He was the sort of bloke that if you saw on the news some crazy bastard had murdered his family, you wouldn't be at all surprised to learn it was him.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Hugh » 18 Sep 2017, 8:03 pm

Gwion wrote:Not having a go, Hugh. Just debating pros and cons.

I'm sure as long as you are sure of your shot and take out the central nervous system you will be fine within a reasonable range. Just wouldn't be the first choice of cartridge if no medical requirements were involved.

As I have posted its not my first choice but it is what it is.
Hugh
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by Hugh » 07 Oct 2017, 2:44 pm

Ok after a bit of research have found that the 123 gr 7.62 x39 out performs the 30/30 wcf 170 gr bullet in only 50 yards due to better shape of bullets,bit of a bonus still waiting on my 154 gr ammo to come in.
http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2016 ... g-caliber/
Hugh
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 08 Oct 2017, 3:56 pm

1. No way would I use a 30-30 on moose.
2. 130 gr is the minimum weight for Reds & Sambar.

See my previous posts. Good luck. Get very close and shoot straight.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Hugh » 08 Oct 2017, 6:19 pm

Oldbloke wrote:1. No way would I use a 30-30 on moose.
2. 130 gr is the minimum weight for Reds & Sambar.

See my previous posts. Good luck. Get very close and shoot straight.

That's why I'm waiting for my 154gr ammo to come in before I go hunting Sambar.
Hugh
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by in2anity » 09 Oct 2017, 7:55 am

7.62x39 basically hits like a 30/30 with the accuracy of a bolt. Higher BCs means flatter trajectories and better performance over those medium distances. The rounds get there faster and "float" much better than the 30/30. With your run-of-the-mill 30/30 factory ammo, you just can't reliably do this: https://youtu.be/caCiANMCixo with a 30/30: believe me I've tried. An accurized 30/30 running handloads might come close, but we're comparing off-the-shelf setups right?

There's a reason it's a military calibre and that's because it's a superb all-rounder. Unfortunately cheap bulk 7.62x39 is not a thing in AUS anymore, so like all ammo these days, it's frustratingly expensive, almost the same as 308. So that somewhat negates its utility (in AUS). But for OP (who has specific needs), I think it's a suberb choice.

Another bonus is there's commercially available cast lead projectiles around for .312" grooves - excellent (and cheap) practice round over TB.
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Hugh » 01 Jul 2018, 5:51 pm

Just got back from states,may have to look at reloading they had a range of projectiles in .311 150gr and 174gn also .312 .Having a look around they will also shot the .308 no problem and all die sets have both they neck down for both calibers although I suspect accuracy may be affected in .308.In reloading info the .311 150gr came out of muzzle 200ft slower than 123gr but at 150yd was 200ft quicker than 123gr.Also lapua now make brass for this round with full size primers.Has anybody brought back projectiles though customs and had problems??
Hugh
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by Hugh » 01 Jul 2018, 5:52 pm

Just got back from states,may have to look at reloading they had a range of projectiles in .311 150gr and 174gn also .312 .Having a look around they will also shot the .308 no problem and all die sets have both they neck down for both calibers although I suspect accuracy may be affected in .308.In reloading info the .311 150gr came out of muzzle 200ft slower than 123gr but at 150yd was 200ft quicker than 123gr.Also lapua now make brass for this round with full size primers.Has anybody brought back projectiles though customs and had problems??
Hugh
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 01 Jul 2018, 6:47 pm

Hugh wrote:Just got back from states,may have to look at reloading they had a range of projectiles in .311 150gr and 174gn also .312 .Having a look around they will also shot the .308 no problem and all die sets have both they neck down for both calibers although I suspect accuracy may be affected in .308.In reloading info the .311 150gr came out of muzzle 200ft slower than 123gr but at 150yd was 200ft quicker than 123gr.Also lapua now make brass for this round with full size primers.Has anybody brought back projectiles though customs and had problems??

You will need an import permit whether you order by mail or bring them in on an aircraft yourself.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Hugh » 08 Jul 2018, 2:17 pm

Thanx Blade racer I nearly picked up a box of Sierra while I was there and have now checked rules.However I mistakenly left a swiss army knife in carryon and had a bear claw necklace in checkin from bear hunting in AK ,who knows what you could bring back?
Hugh
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 08 Jul 2018, 3:33 pm

Hugh wrote:Thanx Blade racer I nearly picked up a box of Sierra while I was there and have now checked rules.However I mistakenly left a swiss army knife in carryon and had a bear claw necklace in checkin from bear hunting in AK ,who knows what you could bring back?

I made the same mistake. Ordered a stock for my father-in-law's Remington 510, and added some bits and pieces to offset the postage, including a magazine. Oops. I had them destroy the US$10 magazine and ordered one from South Australia for A$60 later on.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Previous

Return to Centerfire rifles