Ruger Precision vs Tikka vs Lithgow

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Ruger Precision vs Tikka vs Lithgow

Post by Mitch@Ripley » 05 Sep 2017, 8:56 pm

Hey guys, I'm looking at getting a new .223 for primarily target shooting. My original thoughts were the Lithgow at first, however the 1:9 twist is not too appealing as I want to run much higher end (and weight) projectiles. My next thought was to use the ever so popular Tikka, either a compact, varmint, or lite (in a custom stock), with a 1:8 twist this should allow me to push to 80 odd grainers, while still supporting my 55gr plinking rounds...My final thought was to go a bit further and run a new Ruger Precision 5.56/223 with a 1:7 twist, again allowing for much heavier projies, however taking my 55grers out of the question as I don't see them being too stable. What are all your thoughts on this debacle? And yes I've used the Lithgow and know that it is amazing, but don't see it being my ideal choice.
Mitch@Ripley
Private
Private

Queensland

Re: Ruger Precision vs Tikka vs Lithgow

Post by Gun-nut » 05 Sep 2017, 9:12 pm

Seems to me you've already made up your mind on the Tikka with the 1:8 twist. I'm no expert about twist rate and associated bullet weights, but if what you say is correct, you'll be able to utilise your light plinking rounds and heavier projectiles just fine with the 1:8 twist.
Gun-nut
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by TBJ » 05 Sep 2017, 9:35 pm

as Gun-nut said it sounds as if you've already made up your mind however il give you my 2 cents anyway, if you want an all rounder twist rate the 1:8 is probably your best bet, I'm personally not a fan or the RPR or any other chassis but many people disagree with me on this, Personally I prefer the Tikka T3x Tac-A1 if I wanted a chassis rifle having handled both I think its a better gun, In my experience and opinion a 1:9 will stabilize up to 75gr pills almost just as well as a 1:8 its when you handload even heavier pills that the 1:8 and 1:7 do better
Have: .17H .22LR .204R .222REM .223REM .22-250 .243WIN .270WIN .308WIN .300WM 7.62x39 30-06SPRG .303BRIT 30-30WIN 9.3x62 45-70GOVT 44RMAG 45LC 20GA 12GA .410GA
Want: .220SWIFT 6.5CREED .260REM .375H&H .416RIGBY .444MARLIN .458WIN 16GA 28GA
TBJ
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 06 Sep 2017, 4:53 pm

Mitch@Ripley wrote:Hey guys, I'm looking at getting a new .223 for primarily target shooting. My original thoughts were the Lithgow at first, however the 1:9 twist is not too appealing as I want to run much higher end (and weight) projectiles. My next thought was to use the ever so popular Tikka, either a compact, varmint, or lite (in a custom stock), with a 1:8 twist this should allow me to push to 80 odd grainers, while still supporting my 55gr plinking rounds...My final thought was to go a bit further and run a new Ruger Precision 5.56/223 with a 1:7 twist, again allowing for much heavier projies, however taking my 55grers out of the question as I don't see them being too stable. What are all your thoughts on this debacle? And yes I've used the Lithgow and know that it is amazing, but don't see it being my ideal choice.

What sort of target shooting exactly and at what ranges? F-Class to 1000 yards or some hunter class at 300 yards? Is there a weight limit? Can you shoot from a magazine? What level of precision is required?
The RPR is 4.5kg in .223 and 4.9kg in the Creedmoors, and you would not be able to shoot in NSW or ACT with it due to the folding stock.
I would go with either the RPR, or the RAR Predator (8" twist) and drop it into a chassis. The 7" twist would be okay on a pure long-range target rifle, but I wouldn't want it on a rifle I might also like to take bush on occasion.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Mitch@Ripley » 06 Sep 2017, 5:05 pm

bladeracer wrote:
Mitch@Ripley wrote:Hey guys, I'm looking at getting a new .223 for primarily target shooting. My original thoughts were the Lithgow at first, however the 1:9 twist is not too appealing as I want to run much higher end (and weight) projectiles. My next thought was to use the ever so popular Tikka, either a compact, varmint, or lite (in a custom stock), with a 1:8 twist this should allow me to push to 80 odd grainers, while still supporting my 55gr plinking rounds...My final thought was to go a bit further and run a new Ruger Precision 5.56/223 with a 1:7 twist, again allowing for much heavier projies, however taking my 55grers out of the question as I don't see them being too stable. What are all your thoughts on this debacle? And yes I've used the Lithgow and know that it is amazing, but don't see it being my ideal choice.

What sort of target shooting exactly and at what ranges? F-Class to 1000 yards or some hunter class at 300 yards? Is there a weight limit? Can you shoot from a magazine? What level of precision is required?
The RPR is 4.5kg in .223 and 4.9kg in the Creedmoors, and you would not be able to shoot in NSW or ACT with it due to the folding stock.
I would go with either the RPR, or the RAR Predator (8" twist) and drop it into a chassis. The 7" twist would be okay on a pure long-range target rifle, but I wouldn't want it on a rifle I might also like to take bush on occasion.

Hey Bladeracer, I'm looking at getting into F class however I will definitely be competing in silhouette as well as taking on a little hunting down the track. my current thoughts are getting a Tikka with a medium or varmint profile barrel as well as a relatively drop-in stock for shooting longer ranges. The RPR has a decent pricetag and would probably turn out cheaper than a Tikka with added stock but I think Tikka is going to be the way to go.
Mitch@Ripley
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by Gwion » 06 Sep 2017, 5:42 pm

I think you are looking at the wrong cartridge for what you want it to do.

For f-class a 223 is doable but you want 80gn bullets to have any reliable windage or to carry further than 600. Sure, you can do it but you will out grow it after the first season.

For silhouette, well I don't shoot it but at a guess the 223 will not have the energy left for knocking down the longer range targets.

Rather than compromise, why not go another cartridge like a 6.5creed or a 7-08 or any number of other cartridges that are less of a compromise. You will still want rifles for specific applications eventually but a 223 will soon show its short comings for a cross purpose rifle like you seem to be after.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Mitch@Ripley » 06 Sep 2017, 6:47 pm

I enjoy the challenge, I do plan on getting a CM and a 7mm-08 eventually but first a new .223.

Sorry for not communicating this earlier but the Silhouette is .223 only, with the exception of a few with very similar ballistics.

F class is for fun only, so if I outgrow it then so be it, I can always go back when I get a CM. Thanks for the input guys, I'll put a post in the reloading section once I get the rifle, I'd still appreciate any advice and will keep tabs on this post so if you have any input, feel free to share.
Mitch@Ripley
Private
Private

Queensland

Return to Centerfire rifles