P14 Target sight Options

Rimfire bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action and self loading rifles. Air rifles.

P14 Target sight Options

Post by Mark B » 06 Sep 2017, 9:24 pm

I have acquired a Winchester P14 303 in original condition & am wanting to put target sights on it.

I was lucky enough to get a A J Parker rear sight but just cannot find any front target sights that take rings.

Does anyone have any suggestions.
Mark B
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Re: P14 Target sight Options

Post by No1Mk3 » 07 Sep 2017, 2:00 pm

G'day Mark B,
The Parker Hale FS22 front sight is made with a dovetail to replace Enfield front blades, including the P14, though you wll need to machine the protector ears off. You can also remove the sight block (it is keyed to the barrel, and must be drawn off), and fit a Cooper adapter and Gehmann front sight. Check the QRA store, your local QRA/NRA range, and ebay, including the English ebay.co.uk for PH items, Cheers.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Member-Deleted » 07 Sep 2017, 2:48 pm

Are you sure you want to start modifying anything on that rifle? If it is totally original and matching numbers I'd be reluctant to start machining off anything. As an alternative, you could remove the original front sight (get a competent 'smith to do this as they can be incredibly tight), and have a sleeve machined up with grub screws so a more generic front target sight from an Omark etc can slip over it. I did this with another rifle and it works perfectly without damaging the rifle or reducing its value. I have a Winchester P14, and a Remington, and they are far more valuable left as they are. The rear PH sight for this rifle would be fine, as no drilling or tapping is required. Winchester P14's in particular are getting harder to find in original condition.

Having said all that, you'll probably have the most accurate ex-military rifle there is on the range. :D
Member-Deleted

Post by Gun-nut » 07 Sep 2017, 3:14 pm

I heard the British in particular preferred the Winchester built P14s for use as sniper rifles in the years leading up to and through the second world war. I agree with what was said before, leave it in original condition, it'd be far more valuable and imo more enjoyable to shoot it in its unaltered state.
Gun-nut
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Supaduke » 07 Sep 2017, 4:08 pm

I have found my P14 to be very accurate with standard sights.
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Return to Rimfire rifles, and air rifles