Lets be honest

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Re: Lets be honest

Post by Bigjobss » 09 Sep 2017, 9:53 pm

Die Judicii wrote:This may well NOT be along the precise bent of the OP but,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
There was one reply in particular that touched on the act of stopping a beating heart, which prompted this,, my reply.

I have been an active hunter and shooter for 52 years.
Throughout those years I have often wondered about my feelings ( or lack thereof ) when I squeeze the trigger and make something live suddenly dead.

I feel absolutely nothing.
No sadness, no jubilation, no excitement.
It's simply a matter of fact thing.

Am I the only one that is like this ? or,,,,,,, is something wrong with me ?

Nothing at all wrong with you, you sound normal to me.
We are predators, it is what we do, a few decades of ignoring this does not change the thousands of years of evolution.
Bigjobss

Post by Rikta » 09 Sep 2017, 9:56 pm

I shoot to eradicate pests, anyone that thinks we are going to eliminate pig, goats, foxes, cats and rabbits aswell as wild dogs, horses, camels and donkeys in WA alone is a nutter. keep em at bay is the aim of the game.
Rem .270
Howa .223
Ruger 22lr
Lanber 12g
Rossi 410g
Rikta
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by bigfellascott » 09 Sep 2017, 9:56 pm

Die Judicii wrote:This may well NOT be along the precise bent of the OP but,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
There was one reply in particular that touched on the act of stopping a beating heart, which prompted this,, my reply.

I have been an active hunter and shooter for 52 years.
Throughout those years I have often wondered about my feelings ( or lack thereof ) when I squeeze the trigger and make something live suddenly dead.

I feel absolutely nothing.
No sadness, no jubilation, no excitement.
It's simply a matter of fact thing.

Am I the only one that is like this ? or,,,,,,, is something wrong with me ?

Nope I feel the same, I make sure I do it as humanely as possible and that's as best I can do really, I certainly don't try to cause them unnecessary pain, I generally take head shots or heart/lung shots to euthanize them ASAP - which is the most important part for me. :thumbsup:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by in2anity » 09 Sep 2017, 10:36 pm

Allowing dear to co-exist with native species is in itself unethical (from the perspective of the native species), so yes from their perspective, we should eradicate them. But if the same logic was applied to humanity, isn't this classified as genocide? I mean let's be realistic, the only reason mankind has reached the current level of advancement is because of multiculturalism and change and "invading". My point is everything on this planet was and always is changing; there's literally no stopping evolutionary advancement across all species, whether we like it or not. So why do we get so hung up on preserving the past? I guess it boils down to our natural desire to protect our comfortable little bubble (at the cost of those who don't have bubbles at all). But getting back to "protecting native species", god we've got so many more important challenges facing mankind to deal with than a few rogue pests "threatening the local wildlife". Honestly I think it was just some greenies path to significance at some point, and the major parties don't ever challenge the public's perception on sensitive subjects such as this because it would be immediately labeled by the media as "politically incorrect" (to sell some more adds I might add), and us plebs in front of A Current Affair lap it up. To summarize, my opinion: who f******g cares, let all creatures do what creatures naturally do (the kill-each-other race-to-top), shoot em if it gives you a hard on, heck stuff em and put them on your mantle, but pls, can we just FOCUS ON THE IMPORTANT STUFF PEOPLE (like the state of world politics). K rant over; just my 2c considering OP asked for it ;) This could get interesting....
Last edited by in2anity on 09 Sep 2017, 10:45 pm, edited 3 times in total.
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 09 Sep 2017, 10:40 pm

in2anity wrote:Allowing dear to co-exist with native species is in itself unethical (from the perspective of the native species), so yes from their perspective, we should eradicate them. But if the same logic was applied to humanity, isn't this classified as genocide? I mean let's be realistic, the only reason mankind has reached the current level of advancement is because of multiculturalism and change and "invading". My point is everything on this planet was and is always changing; there's literally no stopping evolutionary advancement across all species, whether we like it or not. So why do we get so hung up on preserving the past? I guess it boils down to our natural desire to protect our comfortable little bubble (at the cost of those who don't have bubbles at all). But getting back to "protecting native species", god we've got so many more important challenges facing mankind to deal with than a few rogue pests "threatening the local wildlife". Honestly I think it was just some greenies path to significance at some point, and the major parties don't ever challenge the public's perception on sensitive subjects such as this because it would be immediately labeled by the media as "politically incorrect" (to sell some more adds I might add), and us plebs in front of A Current Affair lap it up. Just my 2c considering OP asked for it ;)

Do you seriously still watch that crap? :silent:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by in2anity » 09 Sep 2017, 10:56 pm

The fact that it's on at possibly THE most primetime slot actually depresses me about the state of humanity
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 09 Sep 2017, 10:58 pm

I can honestly say I don't want any "Current Affairs" shows or any news shows for that matter and I don't read newspapers or any news websites, I honestly couldn't give a s**t what any of them have to say anymore, it's all lies and designed to manipulate the gullible and stupid as far as I'm concerned.

Best thing I ever did was switch off from the "News" so much happier about not being brain trained! :thumbsup:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by in2anity » 09 Sep 2017, 11:01 pm

bigfellascott wrote:I can honestly say I don't want any "Current Affairs" shows or any news shows for that matter and I don't read newspapers or any news websites, I honestly couldn't give a s**t what any of them have to say anymore, it's all lies and designed to manipulate the gullible and stupid as far as I'm concerned.

Best thing I ever did was switch off from the "News" so much happier about not being brain trained! :thumbsup:

Wise move my friend - the amount of unbiased, objective news outlets (even premium payed like the Fin Review) these days is virtually non existent. Anyway I digress, I've been doing that a lot recently around here whoops sorry OP
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 09 Sep 2017, 11:04 pm

in2anity wrote:
bigfellascott wrote:I can honestly say I don't want any "Current Affairs" shows or any news shows for that matter and I don't read newspapers or any news websites, I honestly couldn't give a s**t what any of them have to say anymore, it's all lies and designed to manipulate the gullible and stupid as far as I'm concerned.

Wise move my friend - the amount of unbiased, objective news outlets (even premium payed like the Fin Review) these days is virtually non existent. Anyway I digress, I've been doing that a lot recently around here whoops sorry OP

Mate all media outlets are owned by a handful of people who have agenda's - once you really realise that you will start to realise you are being conned and trained to think a certain way, getting the "Media" out of your life will free you from this what I call a "Prison Life" where you are controlled by what they feed you and make you feel and fear. :thumbsup:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by in2anity » 09 Sep 2017, 11:21 pm

bigfellascott wrote:
in2anity wrote:

Mate all media outlets are owned by a handful of people who have agenda's - once you really realise that you will start to realise you are being conned and trained to think a certain way, getting the "Media" out of your life will free you from this what I call a "Prison Life" where you are controlled by what they feed you and make you feel and fear. :thumbsup:

But I enjoy reading the paper in the sun - very nostalgic for me. Such a shame and I 100% agree with you BF :drinks: :friends:
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 09 Sep 2017, 11:59 pm

I only watch SBS & ABC for the same reasons above. Not perfect but much better.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 10 Sep 2017, 12:01 am

Hey BFS. look at your posts. Won't be long and you will crack 4444.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by GLS_1956 » 10 Sep 2017, 12:40 am

aradoar234: Here in the USA we do not have as many "introduced" game species. Our biggest problem animal is the feral hog, which was not brought here as a food animal not a game animal. Of the introduced game animals the most widely spread is probably the pheasant, other "exotic" animals are the Barbary sheep and the Sitka deer, but neither of these are well spread. So hunting to control non-native fauna is not really done that much. Again with the exclusion of feral hogs which have become an economical/ecological mill-stone around the neck.

Every state in the USA has some form of Wildlife Department, those departments are charged with making sure that all wildlife in their respective states are properly managed, to insure the continuation of those animals for generations to come. this is accomplished, of course, by setting seasons and bag limits.

Now for the question of "The Morality/Need of hunting": My father was born, in 1925, on and grew up on a farm, in Kansas. On the farm they grew or raised food not only for sell, but for personal use. Dad grew up hunting and fishing even more so than his father or siblings. Back in the depression era any animal take for "sport" went into the pot, was for fur, or to protect farm animals or crops. But dad did enjoy hunting, especially birds.

Dad introduced myself and my two older brothers to hunting as soon as we were old enough. The reasoning for hunting was multifold; First was for us to be able to spend time with our father. Secondly it was to instill in us a respect for nature, in that we had to, or got to, interact with nature on a personal level in that we gained sustenance from nature and were not just a spectator. Thirdly and most importantly. we were taught that for us to live, something had to die. We humans have to take in food and food has to either be grown harvested or killed and prepared. And that, killing, cleaning and eating the animal is not something you will ever experience in a trip to the supermarket or butcherer.
I've been asked: "How many guns do you need to have?" My answer remains the same: "One more."
GLS_1956
Sergeant
Sergeant

United States of America

Post by vmaxaust » 10 Sep 2017, 6:27 am

I'm not passing judgement on those who choose to hunt, as I've been a subsistence hunter myself in times past, I'd just like to hear from others who honestly want to give their opinion on why they hunt,,,,,,,,

No hunting for me. I believe in subsistence hunting for those who actually use the meat but I just go to the butcher.
Ferals and pests I would have no problem in hunting.

Those hunting to take a trophy photo only make me sick.

Sam
vmaxaust
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 10 Sep 2017, 6:43 am

vmaxaust wrote:I'm not passing judgement on those who choose to hunt, as I've been a subsistence hunter myself in times past, I'd just like to hear from others who honestly want to give their opinion on why they hunt,,,,,,,,

No hunting for me. I believe in subsistence hunting for those who actually use the meat but I just go to the butcher.
Ferals and pests I would have no problem in hunting.

Those hunting to take a trophy photo only make me sick.

Sam

Do you not think they take the meat from their trophies? I would think the majority would - personally I don't have a problem with people wanting trophies for all the hard work they put in (as I say trophies aren't of great interest to me but if I found something with great antlers, tusks or Horns etc I would happily shoot it to say something that was standing next to it that didn't have the aforementioned.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by vmaxaust » 10 Sep 2017, 6:58 am

Do you not think they take the meat from their trophies? I would think the majority would - personally I don't have a problem with people wanting trophies for all the hard work they put in (as I say trophies aren't of great interest to me but if I found something with great antlers, tusks or Horns etc I would happily shoot it to say something that was standing next to it that didn't have the aforementioned.[/quote]

So the trophy photo validates their hard work and effort? Each to their own. I would think validation comes in the form of the satisfaction of being able to put meat on the table for all the hard work. I can totally relate to that.

Sam
vmaxaust
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 10 Sep 2017, 8:31 am

vmaxaust wrote:Do you not think they take the meat from their trophies? I would think the majority would - personally I don't have a problem with people wanting trophies for all the hard work they put in (as I say trophies aren't of great interest to me but if I found something with great antlers, tusks or Horns etc I would happily shoot it to say something that was standing next to it that didn't have the aforementioned.

So the trophy photo validates their hard work and effort? Each to their own. I would think validation comes in the form of the satisfaction of being able to put meat on the table for all the hard work. I can totally relate to that.

Sam[/quote]

Yep I think a photo is a great momento of the occasion along with the head and meat it provides, wouldn't surprise me at all if you've eaten beef, or pork or lamb that was once a prize winning animal and had photos taken of it, they too all end up on the plate at the end of their usefulness. :drinks:

I ate part of last years championship winning lambs at our local show, tasted bloody great too by the way. :D
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Conallin24 » 10 Sep 2017, 8:43 am

I am 16 and have been hunting as long as I can remember. I don't really hunt for the meat although bringing back some makes dad happy. I just do it because it's fun. Shooting natives is not really different to ferals. For example duck. I don't see why people don't like trophies, I am going to be keeping my first Pheasant forever.
Conallin24
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 10 Sep 2017, 9:37 am

Conallin24 wrote:I am 16 and have been hunting as long as I can remember. I don't really hunt for the meat although bringing back some makes dad happy. I just do it because it's fun. Shooting natives is not really different to ferals. For example duck. I don't see why people don't like trophies, I am going to be keeping my first Pheasant forever.

Nothing wrong with wanting to shoot trophies mate, if that's what you want to do and makes you happy, do it I say. :thumbsup:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Daddybang » 10 Sep 2017, 9:39 am

bigfellascott wrote:
Conallin24 wrote:I am 16 and have been hunting as long as I can remember. I don't really hunt for the meat although bringing back some makes dad happy. I just do it because it's fun. Shooting natives is not really different to ferals. For example duck. I don't see why people don't like trophies, I am going to be keeping my first Pheasant forever.

Nothing wrong with wanting to shoot trophies mate, if that's what you want to do and makes you happy, do it I say. :thumbsup:

Well said :thumbsup:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by wildcard6 » 12 Sep 2017, 3:30 pm

The ethics of hunting are as many and varied as the number of people who hunt. I don't understand the people who hunt trophies, but I'm not about to tell them they're wrong. I've spent time in Africa years ago and enjoyed seeing wild animals in their natural habitat - the thought never even occurred to me to kill any of them... But there are people who go to Africa at huge expense to kill animals to have them stuffed [why not take a picture?!]. No, I just don't understand those people. But are they wrong? To me, yes, but obviously not to them... Who is to judge?
I only kill pests, be they introduced or native. Someone says, 'Kill these' and I do it, because I can do it. I like the philosophical answer to your question that says, "I don't hunt to kill, I only kill to have hunted'. It is this hunting instinct that drives the hunter. Everybody needs to rationalize the 'why' for themselves. My only tip - if you kill for pleasure - seek help!
wildcard6
Private
Private

South Australia

Post by bigfellascott » 12 Sep 2017, 3:40 pm

wildcard6 wrote:The ethics of hunting are as many and varied as the number of people who hunt. I don't understand the people who hunt trophies, but I'm not about to tell them they're wrong. I've spent time in Africa years ago and enjoyed seeing wild animals in their natural habitat - the thought never even occurred to me to kill any of them... But there are people who go to Africa at huge expense to kill animals to have them stuffed [why not take a picture?!]. No, I just don't understand those people. But are they wrong? To me, yes, but obviously not to them... Who is to judge?
I only kill pests, be they introduced or native. Someone says, 'Kill these' and I do it, because I can do it. I like the philosophical answer to your question that says, "I don't hunt to kill, I only kill to have hunted'. It is this hunting instinct that drives the hunter. Everybody needs to rationalize the 'why' for themselves. My only tip - if you kill for pleasure - seek help!

Anyone you can recommend? I get pleasure out of hunting so I do need help :drinks:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Daddybang » 12 Sep 2017, 4:00 pm

bigfellascott wrote:
wildcard6 wrote:The ethics of hunting are as many and varied as the number of people who hunt. I don't understand the people who hunt trophies, but I'm not about to tell them they're wrong. I've spent time in Africa years ago and enjoyed seeing wild animals in their natural habitat - the thought never even occurred to me to kill any of them... But there are people who go to Africa at huge expense to kill animals to have them stuffed [why not take a picture?!]. No, I just don't understand those people. But are they wrong? To me, yes, but obviously not to them... Who is to judge?

Anyone you can recommend? I get pleasure out of hunting so I do need help :drinks:

Best book in early I reckon!! :drinks:
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by bigfellascott » 12 Sep 2017, 4:41 pm

Daddybang wrote:
bigfellascott wrote:

I'll see ya there will I along with heap of other people who shoot animals and actually enjoy the pursuit/challenges that it entails. :D :drinks:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by bigfellascott » 12 Sep 2017, 4:46 pm

sungazer wrote:Personally I am on the same lines as wildcard6. the only reason I kill is for pests or for food quite often one in the same. I have a roo cull permit but only kill them now and then and when the dog needs food. I cover three property owners that have problems with roos. killing the off one now and then keeps them away more than having a killing spree. Keeping them under control is the aim as we all want a few roos to show the city visitors.

It is so easy to kill that its not really a challenge Big trophy dear or small doe takes the same skill.

But each to their own. sometimes it is fun tracking them.

A lot of effort and time and money goes into those why hunt deer as a rule, I like hunting for meat and is the reason I hunt deer but if a decent stag happened to present I'd definitely shoot it, would be nice to have a little momento of the trip I guess and you get the meat from it anyway so a bit of a win win in a way. :thumbsup:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Bigjobss » 12 Sep 2017, 5:12 pm

Killing an animal is always killing an animal, regardless of species, status as a pest or perception of its intrinsic worth. If it is sustainable, ethical and legal it is all the same.

You can take the supposed moral high ground and say that you only kill for your chosen reason such as meat (which I only do because I have little time and filling the freeszer is #1), but that doesnt make you any different to the trophy hunter, it doesnt make the animal any less dead.
Bigjobss

Post by Daddybang » 12 Sep 2017, 5:23 pm

bigfellascott wrote:
Daddybang wrote:
bigfellascott wrote:

I'll see ya there will I along with heap of other people who shoot animals and actually enjoy the pursuit/challenges that it entails. :D :drinks:

Yep I shoot the pests on my property cause I need to but I hunt for the sheer pleasure I get from a successful trip and a clean kill :thumbsup:
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by bigfellascott » 12 Sep 2017, 5:27 pm

Bigjobss wrote:Killing an animal is always killing an animal, regardless of species, status as a pest or perception of its intrinsic worth. If it is sustainable, ethical and legal it is all the same.

You can take the supposed moral high ground and say that you only kill for your chosen reason such as meat (which I only do because I have little time and filling the freeszer is #1), but that doesnt make you any different to the trophy hunter, it doesnt make the animal any less dead.

+1
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Baitlayer » 10 Dec 2017, 1:09 pm

Simple! I hunt because I enjoy it. Meat ,trophies eradication of ferals,time with friends and in the bush. All a bonus.but if I didn't enjoy it i wouldn't do it.As i said,Simple !!
Ian
Baitlayer
Private
Private

South Australia

Post by Bent Arrow » 10 Dec 2017, 2:46 pm

wildcard6 wrote:Everybody needs to rationalize the 'why' for themselves. My only tip - if you kill for pleasure - seek help!

Saying that someone that gets pleasure out of killing needs help is highly judgemental, irrational and not helpful.

Yes, everyone should evaluate what they are doing and follow a moral code. This applies to every aspect of life, not just hunting. Their actions should easily pass the daylight test, i.e would the people who's opinions you value highly approve of your actions? What would your wife/daughter/son think?

My wife, son and daughter, direct and extended family and many of my clients know that I hunt and that I enjoy it. Anyone that takes five minutes to talk too me knows I follow a moral code, and I've even had people who were previously completely ignorant about hunting take quite an interest in what is involved. There is pleasure (look up the Oxford dictionary definition) to be involved in the full cycle from planning a hunt, the organising, travel, finding suitable game, getting within ethical range, making a good shot, processing the animal, bringing it home, making a healthy meal, and sharing it with your family and friends. If this means I need help, then it's probably because I can't carry out all the meat myself. Grab that end will you mate........
Bent Arrow
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

South Australia

Next

Return to Centerfire rifles