Bore snake that won't bore

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Bore snake that won't bore

Post by colinbentley » 10 Sep 2017, 12:06 pm

I have no trouble using a bore snake on my 243 but the 222 is always a problem. The weight will not drop through the barrel. Last time I washed it which seemed to rectify the problem but having just tried it again the problem is back. Is it because the 222 is such a small bore or is there a trick to it ? It's not exactly rocket science so it's annoying.I've washed it again and am waiting for it to dry.
colinbentley
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Re: Bore snake that won't bore

Post by Cooper » 10 Sep 2017, 8:05 pm

Bit weird that the weight won't just fall out the end out the barrel. Is it bent or something?

I remember the first time I used a bore snake in my .223 got it half way in. Seriously didn't I was going yo get it out. Had pull wayyy harder than I thought would be necessary. After the first time it has been fine.
Cooper
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by AusTac » 10 Sep 2017, 8:31 pm

You sure it's the right size? I use a bore snake a fair bit and have never had an issue could it be getting caught on the rifling or something?
Certified part time hillbilly
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by colinbentley » 11 Sep 2017, 5:10 pm

My 243 is no trouble. The 222 is the correct size but it doesn't fall through. I washed it again and after a struggle it went through.Tis a puzzlement.
colinbentley
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by on_one_wheel » 11 Sep 2017, 9:35 pm

Is it the weightthat's tight or the nylon leader on the boresnake ?
Perhaps you could modify it by using some builders string as a leader ?
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by p3seven » 11 Sep 2017, 10:11 pm

Have new el cheapo bore snake $10. Would not go down the 22. Hung some weights on it and left overnight to get the kinks out of the rope part. Next day still no go. The brass weight l think, is way too light. I may experiment by taking the brass weight off and filling it with lead scrap. Or l may just bin it
Henry 22lr
Savage ll BTVS 22lr
Howa 1500 243 W
p3seven
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by pomemax » 12 Sep 2017, 11:35 am

look on the brass weight should have the size stamped on it 243 is the same as 6 mm i 222 is a 22 cal size i have bought 6 bore snakes all different sizes and found some when first bought were not the size on the packing, what brand.
What color is the weave . the 243 its a reddish tartan color and the 22 is a greenish black all mine are the Hoppe,s Brand.
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by colinbentley » 14 Sep 2017, 1:29 pm

p3seven. Price could be the problem It was el cheapo. The weight is stamped 22 but think it is possibly too light. The chord is green. The 243 chord is red.May have to invest in a more expensive one. I'll talk to my gun dealer next time I'm there. Thanks for the responses.
colinbentley
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 14 Sep 2017, 3:59 pm

Bah, humbug. Make a pull through. An old bore brush, piece of builders line or any strong string and a lead barrel sinker.
Bobs your uncle.

Even with no brush, just tie some cloth on the end of the string.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Daddybang » 14 Sep 2017, 4:11 pm

Oldbloke wrote:Bah, humbug. Make a pull through. An old bore brush, piece of builders line or any strong string and a lead barrel sinker.
Bobs your uncle.

Even with no brush, just tie some cloth on the end of the string.

I use a bit of fishing line and cloth cut to size for the 94/22 to save pushing any sh#t into the action with a rod :drinks:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 14 Sep 2017, 4:49 pm

Never used a bore snake, a pull through is good enough for if you go hunting for a few days. Gotta clean properly anyway when you get home.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by albat » 14 Sep 2017, 5:39 pm

On my .17 hmr i use whipper snipper line which is melted on one end with my ciggy lighter to create s tiny molten ball the other end cut to a sharp point so it penetrates a cloth patch chuck on a patch and feed through this is particularly handy for this calibre because afer 15 rounds or so the accuracy turns to crap if you dont clean the bore
albat
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Return to Centerfire rifles