Lube build-up?

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Lube build-up?

Post by Iwfudia2009 » 10 Sep 2017, 6:48 pm

Hey fellow shooters,
Just have a quick question.... I have a marlin .22 with varmit barrel. I've only put 150 rounds through it so far but after 3-5 shots the empty casings being sticking in the barrel. The bolt can't grab them to eject them. I have to take the magazine out and use my finger to get it out after every shot.... i thoroughly cl3an it and lubricate it after every use. It's a waxy (lube?) type build-up....

I use Winchester sub Sonics and Winchester laser rounds.

Any suggestions?
Iwfudia2009
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Re: Lube build-up?

Post by Wombat » 10 Sep 2017, 7:45 pm

Have you cleaned the bolt? Sounds like the extractor is not gripping well enough for some reason.
Wombat
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Iwfudia2009 » 10 Sep 2017, 7:47 pm

Yeah I clean everything with a 3 in 1.
And just on a side comment.... is it normal for the bolt to scrap the next round while it's chambering one?
Iwfudia2009
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Post by marksman » 10 Sep 2017, 7:53 pm

it's common with the marlin 22's, the remedy is to polish the chamber a bit and it wont happen anymore
if your marlin is under warranty take it to the dealer and ask for it to be fixed
if not a 22 cal nylon brush with a patch that has had autosol rubbed into it over the brush and polish the chamber
they are a good rifle apart from this problem

ps if you are using clp gunzilla you will get a buildup of green crap that will cause this
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Iwfudia2009 » 11 Sep 2017, 6:45 am

Haha warranty? Dealer?
When I first got it the crown had a major dent from factory as you could see it was glued after it happened. Dealer said it was my fault and didn't want a bar of it, took it to gunsmith who contacted the supplier interstate and it was a struggle yo get them to fix it, wanted to replace it but wouldn't pay for rego xfer or freight. In the end they ended up machining a new crown and reblueing.... won't buy a marlin or be going back to tackle world at Salisbury ever again.... but having said that i do like the rifle except for this issue....
Iwfudia2009
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Post by in2anity » 11 Sep 2017, 9:01 am

When it comes to ammo, they are all very different when it comes to lubrication; perhaps you could try a brand with less lube?
Last edited by in2anity on 11 Sep 2017, 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Supaduke » 11 Sep 2017, 11:18 am

Try a few different ammo types.

I have issues with Winchester ammo in several of my .22's of different makes.
Often deforms the projectile while feeding.
My theory is the deformation and leveraging of the projectile puts the case slightly out of round. Once the cartridge is fired and expands, being slightly oval the case then becomes difficult to extract. The fact the same issue has occurred in several completely different .22's leads me to believe the ammo is the problem, not the gun. Changed ammo, problem disappeared in all guns.
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by Iwfudia2009 » 11 Sep 2017, 12:51 pm

Supaduke,
I don't thinks it's the casing deforming, when I take the stuck casing out it has a sticky type substance on it. I know it's not from being dirty as I clean until the patches come out the same colour they go in. The unspent round when loading too me seems a bit too lubricated as I can scrap it off with my nail and get a fair bit....
Iwfudia2009
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Post by marksman » 11 Sep 2017, 1:24 pm

polishing the chamber is a normal thing to be done when a chamber is cut, polishing as I said to do with autosol will not change the dimensions of the chamber it will allow the shot case to be extracted easier because the chamber is polished like it should have been done at the factory,

is the 3 in one you are using gunzilla? if so this will be the sticky substance on it, fix will be easy don't use gunzilla
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Mitch@Ripley » 11 Sep 2017, 2:08 pm

just skimmed, didn't fully read so sorry if it has been addressed earlier. It is possible to quickly fix this jam (I have a Marlin 22 as well) simply press the mag release and keep the mag in the well (just low enough to not feed the next round) and close the bolt with authority but don't slam it, close it whilst keeping forward pressure on the bolt, then cycle and it should grip the round and throw it. It takes me close to 2 seconds to so this during speed metallic silhouette competitions (15 seconds to shoot 5 6" targets at 40 M)
Mitch@Ripley
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by Iwfudia2009 » 11 Sep 2017, 3:52 pm

Looks like a visit to gun smith to sort it...
Iwfudia2009
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Post by Iwfudia2009 » 11 Sep 2017, 3:53 pm

Thanks everyone for your replies
Iwfudia2009
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Return to Centerfire rifles