My M96 Swede

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Re: My M96 Swede

Post by Oldbloke » 17 Sep 2017, 2:45 pm

"Get a wet rag , place it over the dents , then apply a hot iron with steam. Should bring the dent out a little bit." That's what I would do. Doesn't always work but does no harm

For the bore try some "sweets 7.62" You will probably need to use it 3 or 4 times. Just follow the directions. And use a nylon brush. Sweets eats bronze brushes.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Dunxy » 17 Sep 2017, 2:52 pm

Is there something i can use to strip oils etc out of timber?
Not enough characters!
Dunxy
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Supaduke » 17 Sep 2017, 5:31 pm

If you want to go full strip, some will wince, but I have used , and recommend
BAM foaming oven Cleaner.

Sounds harsh but Its actually quite gentle on the wood. For best results, get the wood warm in the sun or use a heat gun. Spray it on, wait 5 mins , wipe off with a paper towel, rinse with water , dry, repeat till the can is used up. Usually get about 3 applications. You will be amazed how much crap will come out. I have done it several times over the years. Rifles look , good as new. No ill effect to the timber , short or long term. Once dry , very light scuff with fine paper just to take down the puffed up fibres. Nice walnut stain, oil , beautiful.
Last edited by Supaduke on 18 Sep 2017, 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by Dunxy » 18 Sep 2017, 11:49 am

All great info, thanks heaps guys. Ive made my mind up, i will re-blue barrel, floor plate and butt cap and tidy up wood a strip, bit with steam, very light sand in rough areas and re-oil. Haven't decided on exactly what method of bluing im going to do, still researching that part!

Just going to get it out to the range (hopefully weather plays nice and it will be this week!) once or twice before i start the process.I will make a thread on rejuvenation process when I start in case anybody is interested in following along and seeing the end result.
Not enough characters!
Dunxy
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Wm.Traynor » 18 Sep 2017, 1:40 pm

Dunxy wrote: in case anybody is interested .

You bet we are :D
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by Dunxy » 23 Sep 2017, 4:16 pm

Well, bit of a spanner in the proceedings now, all be it a good one!

Took Swede to range yesterday put 30-40 rounds through her, got her on paper @ 100m but nothing worth taking a picture of! Lacking a spotter i didnt try for anything else. I need to either get it sited closer with modified front sight or fit a scope,only using no drill tap mounts naturally.Anyway, thats not what this is about!

Started cleaning her today and thought id attack the rust on the bolt as it was irritating me! So i started working on it and it came up pretty good, but underneath the rust on the bolt handle end I uncovered a number, a number that just happens to match the gun! In my haste i had asumed the bolt wasnt matched, the safety,cocking piece/indicator (sorry i dont know terms)'and the piece thatthey all sir in and firing pin screws into are from another rifle but the bolt proper itself is the same as the rifle :thumbsup: So other than those parts,barrel band and nose cap I have a nicely matched rifle, at least all the important parts!

So now Im looking at it a little differently and am not going to go as far as I was, im just going to clean the stock and try pull dings but not going to go nuts and wont try filling anything. Ive got to do something with barrel so i will have to lightly re-blue it because it needs some protection/preservation.

The floorplate i haven't touched and not sure what to do there. Suggestions?

The buttplate, does anybody know if these were blued factory or just polished?

Heres the results from today.
Started like this

Finished like this:
Im pretty happy with the result, stoked the bolt matches :clap:
Not enough characters!
Dunxy
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 23 Sep 2017, 6:23 pm

Definitely look a lot better
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by marksman » 23 Sep 2017, 6:52 pm

Oldbloke wrote:Definitely look a lot better

thats what I was going to say :thumbsup:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Supaduke » 23 Sep 2017, 8:27 pm

Swede buttplates are left 'in the white' . As in not blued , just polished
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Return to Centerfire rifles