Size of dovetail in CZ 452

Rifle scopes, iron sights and optics. Spotting scopes and target acquisition devices.

Size of dovetail in CZ 452

Post by Sockeye » 16 Sep 2017, 8:29 am

Good day all.

I just purchased a brand new 452 fairwell edition that needs to be scopped, but I am somewhat confused as of what fits that dovetail rail. There are 11mm, 13mm, and 3/8 adapters and rings on the market. All of them said to fit 452.

When I measure the dovetail across on top of it I come up with the .496 inch figure. According to the EGW website

It is available in 3/8" and 11mm dovetails. Determine which dovetail you have by measuring across the top of the dovetail.
If you measure 0.437" you have an 11mm dovetail. If you measure 0.5" you have a 3/8" dovetail.

That looks very close to the above mentioned .5 on am inch. However, internet tells me that people order 13 mm Leupold rings that fit properly. I am confused.

Which ring size do I need?
Sockeye
Private
Private

Queensland

Re: Size of dovetail in CZ 452

Post by Apollo » 16 Sep 2017, 10:12 am

The 3/8" Dovetail is a measurement at the bottom (narrowest) part of the Dovetail. The top should measure just under 0.5" or 12.7mm.

By the sound of it you have a 3/8" Dovetail. 13mm is very close and probably why that is what is used.

I think the 3/8" size is from the USA and the bottom size being how they measure dovetails whereas in Europe they measure the top so there are 11mm, 12.7 (13mm) and 16mm Dovetails plus others.

Depending on model, which market it was designed for then the CZ452 will have different size Dovetails. The Brno Model 2 which is basically a ZKM452 depending on what year it was made can have any of the Dovetail sizes. My 1965 Model has 16mm Dovetails, a 1985 Model has 3/8" Dovetails. The only one's I have owned and measured.

It might cost a few more dollars but it's probably safer to go to your local Gunshop and get the correct mounts and check them for fit.
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by BRNO_Bigot » 16 Sep 2017, 10:29 am

+1 for Apollo

But go here http://cz-usa.com/support/faq/

And see

Q: “What rings do I need for my rimfire rifle?”

A: All 455s have 11mm dovetails. Beyond that, the dovetails might be 11mm or 3/8″ depending on whether the platform was developed for the US market or the European market. The foolproof way to tell is to take a measurement. 3/8″ dovetails will measure 0.5″/12.7mm at the top/widest part of the dovetail. 11mm dovetails will measure 0.433″/11mm at the top/widest part.
--
It's only when you look at an ant through a magnifying glass on a sunny
day that you realise how often they burst into flames.
BRNO_Bigot
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Australian Capital Territory

Post by Sockeye » 16 Sep 2017, 12:07 pm

Thank you. That all makes perfect sence.

Any rchance cmmendations for the good set of rings in my 13 mm-3/8 size.

Leupold makes amaizing set of glossy rings in this size. They, along with the gloss scope, would make a great combination in terms of aestetic presentation.

Any other brand that makes rings/scope combo in gloss black?
Sockeye
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by Apollo » 16 Sep 2017, 1:08 pm

Well, Leupold make 11mm, 3/8" and 13mm Ringmounts. Maybe the 13mm are a slight touch too wide. Don't know but if they are that close but different I'd be checking them out side by side to see which are the best fit.

Gloss / Matt I'd say is up to you. Nice looking limited edition rifle, not cheap. Would there be too much gloss or a contrast. Probably another reason to visit a shop with a big selection and see yourself what they look like together. The rifle deserves a good quality scope. Hope it shoots as well as it looks, easy, it's a CZ they all are very accurate.

Not that I'm biased owning 4 CZ/Brno's and all are very accurate with the right ammo.
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Sockeye » 16 Sep 2017, 1:12 pm

I was thinking Leupold VX-2 gloss. Anything esle around comparable to it in quality and maybe better price?
Sockeye
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by Apollo » 16 Sep 2017, 1:45 pm

I can't help you there as I have never owned a Leupold VX-2, only the up market VX-3's and Competition Grade. I know some of the Leupold's are Made In China and that's one I wouldn't even bother with. They may be Leupold quality control but...and that's a big BUT...!!!

My Brno Model 2 is currently sporting a March 36-55x52mm (about $3,000 worth) but that's is getting ready for an upcoming 200 Yard Competition Shoot and it rates very well against expensive custom rimfire rifles. Normally it wears a 4-12x42 Zeiss Conquest, I think that is the size.
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by badczech » 25 Sep 2017, 1:43 am

Sockeye wrote:Good day all.

I just purchased a brand new 452 fairwell edition that needs to be scopped, but I am somewhat confused as of what fits that dovetail rail. There are 11mm, 13mm, and 3/8 adapters and rings on the market. All of them said to fit 452.

When I measure the dovetail across on top of it I come up with the .496 inch figure. According to the EGW website

It is available in 3/8" and 11mm dovetails. Determine which dovetail you have by measuring across the top of the dovetail.
If you measure 0.437" you have an 11mm dovetail. If you measure 0.5" you have a 3/8" dovetail.

That looks very close to the above mentioned .5 on am inch. However, internet tells me that people order 13 mm Leupold rings that fit properly. I am confused.

Which ring size do I need?

Depends on what caliber your rifle is.
Check this link, it will tell you what you want to know. https://www.diproductsinc.com/Products.aspx?CAT=4268
badczech
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Return to Scopes, sights and optics