Tikka T3 CTR vs Lithgow LA102 Crossover

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Tikka T3 CTR vs Lithgow LA102 Crossover

Post by Ex-Digger » 19 Sep 2017, 10:15 am

Looking at getting back into hunting and need to purchase a new rifle in .308.

Tossing up between the Tikka T3 CTR and the Lithgow LA102 Crossover.

Both comparable in price and performance from the research I've done - so leaning towards the Lithgow just to support Australian industry.

Thoughts?
Ex-Digger
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Re: Tikka T3 CTR vs Lithgow LA102 Crossover

Post by TBJ » 19 Sep 2017, 10:41 am

Both are excellent guns, I've been lucky enough to shoot both, and don't think there is a wrong choice here, if you're going to get the synthetic stock I would be looking at the Tikka as I've heard of a few small issues with the Lithgow's synthetic stock, however if your going to get the wood stock the pieces of timber I've seen on some of the Lithgows is incredible, also as a side note the "stainless" of the Lithgow is not stainless but a coating (something like cerakote) unlike the Tikkas stainless. In terms of accuracy I think the Tikka may slightly out shoot the Lithgow, but I havn't shot either enough to be sure
I think you'd be happy with either honestly, just my 2 cents
Have: .17H .22LR .204R .222REM .223REM .22-250 .243WIN .270WIN .308WIN .300WM 7.62x39 30-06SPRG .303BRIT 30-30WIN 9.3x62 45-70GOVT 44RMAG 45LC 20GA 12GA .410GA
Want: .220SWIFT 6.5CREED .260REM .375H&H .416RIGBY .444MARLIN .458WIN 16GA 28GA
TBJ
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by southwest shooter » 19 Sep 2017, 10:47 am

Howa .
southwest shooter
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Mitch » 19 Sep 2017, 10:53 am

As said the lithgow is cerakoted, not staino, if that matters.

The CTR runs Sako TRG mags which may have a greater available OAL for your cartridges as opposed to a standard tikka magazine, which is pretty much what the lithgow uses for it's magazine. Although chasing the lands is more for wank factor in a hunting rifle IMO.

Id go the lithgow of those 2, just for the aussie factor.

They are both a grade above the mentioned Howa
Mitch
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Dunxy » 19 Sep 2017, 11:01 am

I do love my La101 but I don't know if id buy a centrefire Lithgow myself. The rear locking lugs (they same as the 101 yeah?) being my concern, how much real world difference it will make im not certain, maybe issues may only present down the track, they do seem to shoot well straight out of the box there is no doubt about that.On the rimfires i dont look at it as an issue.

It pains me to say it but all the Howas i have seen have been of the same level of quality and a lot cheaper! My next new rifle will be a Howa.I was about to get a 1500 in 6.5 but got put on hold for the Lithgow SMLE.
Not enough characters!
Dunxy
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by juststarting » 19 Sep 2017, 11:14 am

CTR owner here... Depends on hunting. It is an awesome rifle, but quite a heavy. If you're covering lots of distance on foot then CTR is way too heavy. I have one and now it's a dedicated range rifle, replaced with browning x-bolt composite, after I couldn't feel my arms carrying it uphill for hours.
---
https://reloadingstudio.com
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by Gamerancher » 19 Sep 2017, 11:27 am

Found the following about the Tikka T3 CTR,
"The rifle, which sports a 10-round steel magazine, is very light coming in at only 7.5 pounds. This is perhaps one of the reasons many users like this rifle, it is easy to carry around even on rough terrain." Gun Reviews Australia.

Perhaps JS needs to "harden up" or just get a bit fitter. :sarcasm: :lol:
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by Hangfire » 19 Sep 2017, 12:12 pm

Dunxy wrote:I do love my La101 but I don't know if id buy a centrefire Lithgow myself. The rear locking lugs (they same as the 101 yeah?) being my concern, how much real world difference it will make im not certain, maybe issues may only present down the track, they do seem to shoot well straight out of the box there is no doubt about that.On the rimfires i dont look at it as an issue.

It pains me to say it but all the Howas i have seen have been of the same level of quality and a lot cheaper! My next new rifle will be a Howa.I was about to get a 1500 in 6.5 but got put on hold for the Lithgow SMLE.

The centre fire has a completly different bolt its a 3 lug that locks into the breach like any other.
Hangfire
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Hangfire » 19 Sep 2017, 12:21 pm

Ex-Digger wrote:Looking at getting back into hunting and need to purchase a new rifle in .308.

Tossing up between the Tikka T3 CTR and the Lithgow LA102 Crossover.

Both comparable in price and performance from the research I've done - so leaning towards the Lithgow just to support Australian industry.

Thoughts?

I'm a lithgow fan for the same reason but if you can get a tikka ctr for 1400 that's a dam good price. Magnum sports has a sale for them currently but the normally retail around 1800.
Hangfire
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Oaker260 » 19 Sep 2017, 1:09 pm

Isn't lithgow own by the french?
Oaker260
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Dunxy » 19 Sep 2017, 1:12 pm

Hangfire wrote:The centre fire has a completly different bolt its a 3 lug that locks into the breach like any other.

Very good to know they changed it for the big boys! Puts them back in the running for myself then, still think I will go Howa though ;)
Not enough characters!
Dunxy
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Dunxy » 19 Sep 2017, 1:13 pm

Oaker260 wrote:Isn't lithgow own by the french?

They are owned by some conglomerate but they are manufactured here so supporting local jobs and boosting out economy.
Not enough characters!
Dunxy
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 19 Sep 2017, 2:36 pm

Gamerancher wrote:Found the following about the Tikka T3 CTR,
"The rifle, which sports a 10-round steel magazine, is very light coming in at only 7.5 pounds. This is perhaps one of the reasons many users like this rifle, it is easy to carry around even on rough terrain." Gun Reviews Australia.

Perhaps JS needs to "harden up" or just get a bit fitter. :sarcasm: :lol:

When was a 3.4kg unscoped rifle ever considered "very light"?
What did they describe the 2.77kg Ruger American as, "gravity defying" :-)
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Gamerancher » 19 Sep 2017, 3:23 pm

7.5 lbs is a "light rifle" by any standards. Your Ruger would come under "ultra light".
I have a 7mm-08 Sako 75 stainless in a walnut stock with a 6.5 -20 X Leupold on it that I shoot in our "hunter" class in silhouette, it makes weight by about a pound. I also used to use it a fair bit in the open class.
Weight limit for "hunter" class is 10.2kg or 9.25lb. I consider that rifle very light. After an 80 shot match I'm glad it is light.
"Heavy" class in silhouette is 4.6kg or 10.2lb.
I used to carry a 12 lb + rifle when hunting and trust me I wore out a few pairs of boots carrying, ( i.e. no sling ), that rifle in some pretty hilly country.
Each to his own but I still reckon that 7.5 lb 'aint heavy. :unknown:
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by nightforcenxs » 19 Sep 2017, 3:41 pm

just picked up my tikka t3x varmint stainless yesterday they shoot good for what there worth i also own a LA101 and the build quality seems fine lithgow or tikka not to much difference in build quality im sure you wont be disappointed in what you get... and Dunxy just remember you are limited for stock choice in the howa here in australia unless you like boyds
nightforcenxs
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by in2anity » 19 Sep 2017, 4:10 pm

nightforcenxs wrote:just picked up my tikka t3x varmint stainless yesterday they shoot good for what there worth i also own a LA101 and the build quality seems fine lithgow or tikka not to much difference in build quality im sure you wont be disappointed in what you get... and Dunxy just remember you are limited for stock choice in the howa here in australia unless you like boyds

What about those new GRS stocks - I've seen them advertised in Aussie publications.
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by nightforcenxs » 19 Sep 2017, 4:15 pm

in2anity wrote:
nightforcenxs wrote:just picked up my tikka t3x varmint stainless yesterday they shoot good for what there worth i also own a LA101 and the build quality seems fine lithgow or tikka not to much difference in build quality im sure you wont be disappointed in what you get... and Dunxy just remember you are limited for stock choice in the howa here in australia unless you like boyds

What about those new GRS stocks - I've seen them advertised in Aussie publications.

yer there alright i held one at the shot show felt extremely cheap even though it was $530 for it and i didnt like the fact it had no aluminium pillars in it and it was only 65% glass pillars was not impressed with the stock one bit ive even asked people in UK with them and accuracy has not increased that much..
nightforcenxs
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by juststarting » 19 Sep 2017, 4:44 pm

I am pretty fit and talking from experience. If you have your gun on a sling over your shoulder - sure. If you're shooting from a bench, that's not really an indicator. If you're ready to shoot and carry it in your hand while walking and climbing for hours and hours, with ammo, scope and mounts - it's heavy.
---
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by juststarting » 19 Sep 2017, 4:47 pm

Gamerancher wrote:Each to his own but I still reckon that 7.5 lb 'aint heavy. :unknown:

I suppose it's a matter of reference point. After I handled tikka lite, I think it was, then browning x-bolt composite, I was like, yeah, it's heavy.
---
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 19 Sep 2017, 4:51 pm

juststarting wrote:I am pretty fit and talking from experience. If you have your gun on a sling over your shoulder - sure. If you're shooting from a bench, that's not really an indicator. If you're ready to shoot and carry it in your hand while walking and climbing for hours and hours, with ammo, scope and mounts - it's heavy.

That's why we use single-point slings. The rifle is in your hands, ready to shoot, but the weight is being carried by your shoulders, not your arms.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by juststarting » 19 Sep 2017, 4:52 pm

My preference...
---
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by southwest shooter » 19 Sep 2017, 5:02 pm

Just buy a howa ffs !
Cheap , well made and accurate .
southwest shooter
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Gwion » 20 Sep 2017, 8:42 am

southwest shooter wrote:Just buy a howa ffs !

You can get a nice timber stock for it too.

Still, given the cash and a choice between Lithgow & Howa, I'd go the Lithy. Howa is a good basic rifle but 2v3 locking lugs and the Howa's flimsy bolt stop lose the argument for me, also the fit & finish on the Lithgow is definitely a cut above the Howa.

If I was on a budget is buy another Howa, as I have before but funds permitting I'd get a Lithgow.
Last edited by Gwion on 20 Sep 2017, 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Ex-Digger » 20 Sep 2017, 10:30 am

Thanks for all the comments. Opinion is divided as I expected - I guess that means there really isn't much difference between them and I'm just gonna have to choose...

Useful insights into pros and cons of each though - so thanks! :drinks:
Ex-Digger
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by bigfellascott » 20 Sep 2017, 10:45 am

I personally wouldn't buy either of them for a carry around hunting rifle, buy something light that won't leave you feeling f***ed after carrying it all day.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by in2anity » 20 Sep 2017, 11:10 am

bigfellascott wrote:I personally wouldn't buy either of them for a carry around hunting rifle, buy something light that won't leave you feeling f***ed after carrying it all day.

Totally agree BF - if the rifle is being purchased for hunting purposes (only), surely you get some ultra light, thin barrelled thing?
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 20 Sep 2017, 3:08 pm

Gwion wrote:

Still, given the cash and a choice between Lithgow & Howa, I'd go the Lithy. Howa is a good basic rifle but 2v3 locking lugs and the Howa's flimsy bolt stop lose the argument for me, also the fit & finish on the Lithgow is definitely a cut above the Howa.

If I was on a budget is buy another Howa, as I have before but funds permitting I'd get a Lithgow.

So what's the advantage over a 2 lug v 3 lug? can't say I've even looked at the bolt stop on any of my Howas - I assume they are all still working as expected since the bolts haven't come out of any of em without me pressing the bolt release. :D
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by RoginaJack » 20 Sep 2017, 4:49 pm

Hey Gamerancher - Weight limit for "hunter" class is 10.2kg or 9.25lb. But 10.2kg = 22.48lbs (1kg=2.204lbs) ?

Is that right?
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Gwion » 20 Sep 2017, 6:08 pm

bigfellascott wrote:
Gwion wrote:

So what's the advantage over a 2 lug v 3 lug? can't say I've even looked at the bolt stop on any of my Howas - I assume they are all still working as expected since the bolts haven't come out of any of em without me pressing the bolt release. :D

The bolt stop on Howas are pinned on with the tiniest of screws and is known to break, as it has on mine.

Three locking lugs allow for a shorter bolt throw angle and a more definite lock. It also allows for setting up a more concentric bolt face under battery when you action is trued. In other words a higher mechanical accuracy potential.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Pythonkeeper » 20 Sep 2017, 6:35 pm

If it's going to be a pure carry around hunter I'd advise going for a lighter rifle like Tikka T3X light for example, I've got a couple of Lithgow LA102's and they can become heavy after a few hours walking around the scrub, I'm reasonably fit and used to carrying heavy crap around all day at work so I can put up with the weight of the Lithgow for the most part but if you don't have a reasonable degree of fitness and strength/endurance I reckon it would get old pretty quick and you'd be wishing you'd gone with something not so heavy, I know I feel that way some days.
Pythonkeeper
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Next

Return to Centerfire rifles