Tikka T3 CTR vs Lithgow LA102 Crossover

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Re: Tikka T3 CTR vs Lithgow LA102 Crossover

Post by juststarting » 19 Sep 2017, 4:47 pm

Gamerancher wrote:Each to his own but I still reckon that 7.5 lb 'aint heavy. :unknown:

I suppose it's a matter of reference point. After I handled tikka lite, I think it was, then browning x-bolt composite, I was like, yeah, it's heavy.
---
https://reloadingstudio.com
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 19 Sep 2017, 4:51 pm

juststarting wrote:I am pretty fit and talking from experience. If you have your gun on a sling over your shoulder - sure. If you're shooting from a bench, that's not really an indicator. If you're ready to shoot and carry it in your hand while walking and climbing for hours and hours, with ammo, scope and mounts - it's heavy.

That's why we use single-point slings. The rifle is in your hands, ready to shoot, but the weight is being carried by your shoulders, not your arms.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by juststarting » 19 Sep 2017, 4:52 pm

My preference...
---
https://reloadingstudio.com
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by southwest shooter » 19 Sep 2017, 5:02 pm

Just buy a howa ffs !
Cheap , well made and accurate .
southwest shooter
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Gwion » 20 Sep 2017, 8:42 am

southwest shooter wrote:Just buy a howa ffs !

You can get a nice timber stock for it too.

Still, given the cash and a choice between Lithgow & Howa, I'd go the Lithy. Howa is a good basic rifle but 2v3 locking lugs and the Howa's flimsy bolt stop lose the argument for me, also the fit & finish on the Lithgow is definitely a cut above the Howa.

If I was on a budget is buy another Howa, as I have before but funds permitting I'd get a Lithgow.
Last edited by Gwion on 20 Sep 2017, 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Ex-Digger » 20 Sep 2017, 10:30 am

Thanks for all the comments. Opinion is divided as I expected - I guess that means there really isn't much difference between them and I'm just gonna have to choose...

Useful insights into pros and cons of each though - so thanks! :drinks:
Ex-Digger
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by bigfellascott » 20 Sep 2017, 10:45 am

I personally wouldn't buy either of them for a carry around hunting rifle, buy something light that won't leave you feeling f***ed after carrying it all day.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by in2anity » 20 Sep 2017, 11:10 am

bigfellascott wrote:I personally wouldn't buy either of them for a carry around hunting rifle, buy something light that won't leave you feeling f***ed after carrying it all day.

Totally agree BF - if the rifle is being purchased for hunting purposes (only), surely you get some ultra light, thin barrelled thing?
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 20 Sep 2017, 3:08 pm

Gwion wrote:

Still, given the cash and a choice between Lithgow & Howa, I'd go the Lithy. Howa is a good basic rifle but 2v3 locking lugs and the Howa's flimsy bolt stop lose the argument for me, also the fit & finish on the Lithgow is definitely a cut above the Howa.

If I was on a budget is buy another Howa, as I have before but funds permitting I'd get a Lithgow.

So what's the advantage over a 2 lug v 3 lug? can't say I've even looked at the bolt stop on any of my Howas - I assume they are all still working as expected since the bolts haven't come out of any of em without me pressing the bolt release. :D
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by RoginaJack » 20 Sep 2017, 4:49 pm

Hey Gamerancher - Weight limit for "hunter" class is 10.2kg or 9.25lb. But 10.2kg = 22.48lbs (1kg=2.204lbs) ?

Is that right?
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Gwion » 20 Sep 2017, 6:08 pm

bigfellascott wrote:
Gwion wrote:

So what's the advantage over a 2 lug v 3 lug? can't say I've even looked at the bolt stop on any of my Howas - I assume they are all still working as expected since the bolts haven't come out of any of em without me pressing the bolt release. :D

The bolt stop on Howas are pinned on with the tiniest of screws and is known to break, as it has on mine.

Three locking lugs allow for a shorter bolt throw angle and a more definite lock. It also allows for setting up a more concentric bolt face under battery when you action is trued. In other words a higher mechanical accuracy potential.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Pythonkeeper » 20 Sep 2017, 6:35 pm

If it's going to be a pure carry around hunter I'd advise going for a lighter rifle like Tikka T3X light for example, I've got a couple of Lithgow LA102's and they can become heavy after a few hours walking around the scrub, I'm reasonably fit and used to carrying heavy crap around all day at work so I can put up with the weight of the Lithgow for the most part but if you don't have a reasonable degree of fitness and strength/endurance I reckon it would get old pretty quick and you'd be wishing you'd gone with something not so heavy, I know I feel that way some days.
Pythonkeeper
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by bigfellascott » 20 Sep 2017, 8:49 pm

Gwion wrote:
bigfellascott wrote:
Gwion wrote:

The bolt stop on Howas are pinned on with the tiniest of screws and is known to break, as it has on mine.

Three locking lugs allow for a shorter bolt throw angle and a more definite lock. It also allows for setting up a more concentric bolt face under battery when you action is trued. In other words a higher mechanical accuracy potential.

Thanks for that G, will any of that make any real meaningful difference in a hunting rifle or is it just another one of those sales gimmicks that is often portrayed as something special and a must have to be able to hunt better?
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Gamerancher » 21 Sep 2017, 6:57 am

RoginaJack wrote:Hey Gamerancher - Weight limit for "hunter" class is 10.2kg or 9.25lb. But 10.2kg = 22.48lbs (1kg=2.204lbs) ?

Is that right?

Sorry, typo. Correct weight is 4.2kg, my bad. :oops:
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by simmo » 22 Sep 2017, 9:18 am

This is a timely and helpful thread so thanks for posting it.

I'm a long range target shooter predominantly and I'm thinking about a .223 for shorter range target stuff but interested in getting into whacking ferals. I see there isn't much difference in the Tikka varmints and Super varmints compared to a LA102?
The Tikka comes with a 1:8twist off the shelf and that is a major draw, does anyone know what the Lithgow comes with in terms of barrel contour and twist?
simmo
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Hangfire » 22 Sep 2017, 12:44 pm

Hangfire
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Gwion » 22 Sep 2017, 3:23 pm

bigfellascott wrote:
Thanks for that G, will any of that make any real meaningful difference in a hunting rifle or is it just another one of those sales gimmicks that is often portrayed as something special and a must have to be able to hunt better?
[/quote][/quote]

If the screw on your bolt stop fails I can assure you it will make a big dint in your hunting trip.

As for the rest: the way I see it is if you have the budget for up to date engineering on your rifle, why not take advantage of it. The thread is, after all, about Tikka v Lithgow, not "best value for money gun".

Hell, if I had the cash I'd pay a lot more for a rifle than what a Tikka or Lithgow cost because I like the feel of well made, well designed and aesthetically pleasing equipment. Same reason I have rather pricey fishing gear.

I have cash flow issues with a large mortgage and limited income and developing business so I have a Howa. Yes, to works and is very accurate, especially since I got it trued up and rebarrelled, but it is a bit clunky and I am always wondering when that bolt release will fail again.

I have a number of fly rods in the same weight. One is a cheapy but decent rod with an $80 reel on it. One is a Sage with a nice reel on it that would cost well over $1000 to replace. They both do effectively the same thing and neither makes me a better fisherman but which do you think is nicer to use and which do you think gets used the most and which is just a back up for when z rodless friend wants to come for a fish?
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by bigfellascott » 22 Sep 2017, 4:09 pm

Gwion wrote:
bigfellascott wrote:
[/quote]

If the screw on your bolt stop fails I can assure you it will make a big dint in your hunting trip.

As for the rest: the way I see it is if you have the budget for up to date engineering on your rifle, why not take advantage of it. The thread is, after all, about Tikka v Lithgow, not "best value for money gun".

Hell, if I had the cash I'd pay a lot more for a rifle than what a Tikka or Lithgow cost because I like the feel of well made, well designed and aesthetically pleasing equipment. Same reason I have rather pricey fishing gear.

I have cash flow issues with a large mortgage and limited income and developing business so I have a Howa. Yes, to works and is very accurate, especially since I got it trued up and rebarrelled, but it is a bit clunky and I am always wondering when that bolt release will fail again.

I have a number of fly rods in the same weight. One is a cheapy but decent rod with an $80 reel on it. One is a Sage with a nice reel on it that would cost well over $1000 to replace. They both do effectively the same thing and neither makes me a better fisherman but which do you think is nicer to use and which do you think gets used the most and which is just a back up for when z rodless friend wants to come for a fish?
[/quote]

Yeah I had a Sako and sold it and bought a Tikka, the Sako was ok in some ways but didn't live up to the hype and for me it was just dead money sitting in the safe as I preferred to use my Howas to be honest (I know I'm weird) but it's the truth, I had absolutely no faith in the Sako what so ever, every time I used it I couldn't hit s**t with it and in the end that just wasn't going to cut the mustard with me so I flicked it and traded up to the Tikka, it too isn't anything special at this stage (not real flash accuracy wise) but I think that is down to the barrel touching in the channel so I've decided to remove the wood stock and I've got a Lam Tikka Stock sitting there to try out (the wood was too nice IMO to be bashing around the bush with anyway and it would Piss me off if I'd damaged it so the Lam Stock was the go for my needs, I also have one of the Plastikka stocks here to test out on it which is new but will try the Lam Stock first as I prefer those.

One thing I can say is I've never been worried about my Howa's not working, some are over 30yrs old and still function like the day I bought them, mind you I don't treat my gear roughly and look after it all well for the most part (not saying you treat your gear roughly by the way) for me fancy isn't something I worry about, it has to function and be reliable and able to get the job done, I don't fine any fascination or desire to own over priced gear especially when it comes to firearms as I've found the basic stuff does the job just fine and hasn't as yet ever let me down, unlike the expensive stuff which as left me feeling cold when it comes to it's performance in comparison to the cheaper stuff - one would rightly think that paying 2 or 3 times the prices for something would see that particular product superior in performance to the cheaper stuff but sadly that hasn't been the case at all, quite the opposite in fact and I know of a few people with Fancy Sakos and the like who have had to send them back as the barrels were stuffed straight from the factory, to me they are way over priced for what you really get and i think people are being charged a premium for the name these days, in days gone by yes they were superior in their performance and craftsmanship over the stuff back then but that gap has significantly closed now to the point where spending heaps doesn't see any real improvements in performance it just gets you a prettier bit of wood or shinier barrel type thing and trust me when I say there are plenty of unhappy Sako owners out there when it comes to that ejection problem they are know for, can't say I've ever had any such probs with the good ol reliable Howas of mine, they may not be as "refined" but they sure do shoot well and get the job done for peanuts which is right up my alley as I hate wasting good money on something only to find it doesn't live up to the advertising hype. :unknown:

I've got two mates who work in gun shops and even they say the same thing that the Sakos are way over priced when you compare the performance etc of the Tikkas - they just buy Tikkas as the extra $$ for a Sako doesn't really see any real tangible benefits performance wise compared to the Tikkas - each to their own of course and buy whatever floats ya boat :unknown:

Anyway G thanks again for the reply and happy shooting. :drinks:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Next

Return to Centerfire rifles