Novice, looking to start shooting

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Novice, looking to start shooting

Post by Cralis » 24 Sep 2017, 9:17 pm

Hi all,

I'm brand new, so please excuse any vocabulary issues I may have with regards shooting and the equipment.

I last used a rifle around 20 years ago at school (outside of Australia) where I was in the school .22 shooting team. We used the Anshutz .22 back then, and I loved it. It was a square type stock, and no scope...

I mate took me shooting recently, and I really liked shooting a .22 again. I had a shot with a few other calibers, but liked the 'calmness' of the .22. I was impressed with the safety at the range and have a feeling I'd like to get into it as a hobby - if they open a planned range nearer to where I live. In the mean time, my investigation has begun.

As I say, I'd like to stay with .22 for now, and would live the same 'style' as I used all those years ago. The closest I can find is the Anshutz 1416

http://jga.anschuetz-sport.com/index.ph ... how=detail

But ours didn't have all the holes... I think it had a thumb hole, but the main part was solid. That's the style we used though, and I remember it being very comfortable and solid. I prefer it to the tradional shapes, such as:

http://jga.anschuetz-sport.com/index.ph ... how=detail

Could anyone recommend a model, or guide me? As I say, I like the squarer thumb hole style, with a grip like the first link. And I'd prefer used (due to costs), so any recommendations would be great. I see a make called a 'Savage' is more affordable.

Then, I understand there's more costs to start with. I'll need:
    A safe
    Maintenance equipment.
    A carry case?
    Ear protection (Mainly for the chaps with HUGE caliber things next to use which was very off putting with the little sponge things in my ears. ..)
    Ammunition, (seems to be around $8 for entry level box of 50 rounds)
    A scope for the rifle ...
    A spotting scope

Not sure what else I'm missing, but any advice and ideas would be most welcomed.
Cralis
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Re: Novice, looking to start shooting

Post by Gwion » 25 Sep 2017, 7:04 am

There are comps with open sights (no scope). Nothing wrong with starting off with open sights or sticking with them for that matter.

Look on usedguns.com. There are usually about 8000 22lr for sale! :lol:
IMO, it's worth putting some money into a good 22lr, so don't go looking for too cheap an option.

Good luck. First things first: get your licence application underway.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by in2anity » 25 Sep 2017, 8:07 am

Hi Cralis welcome to to forums; the big question you need to answer is what is your intended use for the 22? If you are only going to be doing UIT/ISSF style prone (which BTW I also grew up shooting at school :D ), then you should suck it up and just spend the money on a classic match Anchutz with a match action (I presume you have the budget for it, as you're already talking about getting an Anchutz :shock: ). The 1416 is a 64 action, so it's a bit more of a "sporter" rifle than a classic 54 Annie. If you want more of a "crossover" style rifle that you can possible trek with, then what you've suggested would be perfectly fine :thumbsup: But in fact any of the 64 annies would be fine - you've just got to think about the weight with respect to your intended use.

Personally, I'd go the 1710 over the 1416 though; (it has the 54 action :D ). Also the 1712 has a set trigger too if that tickles your fancy. But FWIW the 1710 would slightly heavier than the 1416, and we're talking very minor accuracy gains here. Like I said it really depends on your intended use; one things for sure, it's bloody hard to beat the heavy old 54 target Annies (for target shooting). You won't regret purchasing a 54 annie!
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by juststarting » 25 Sep 2017, 4:12 pm

Reloading press.
---
https://reloadingstudio.com
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by juststarting » 25 Sep 2017, 8:12 pm

I'm a machine!
---
https://reloadingstudio.com
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by Wombat » 25 Sep 2017, 8:28 pm

juststarting wrote:Reloading press.
For the op - a reloading press is a Tool you use to reload centrefire ammunition. Not related to your original question at all.

Hearing protection can just be disposable plugs - cheap as from anywhere that sells power tools. Most ranges want eye protection too -Amber safety glasses work for me.
I'd get a set of sandbags before a spotting scope, at 50 meters you should be able to see .22 holes with a 6x scope.

Look at the sales websites, some bargains do turn up. Nothing stopping you from getting a cheap accurate .22 while waiting for the one you dream of to turn up. Most shooters have multiple guns - I have 5 .22s at the moment.
Wombat
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Return to Centerfire rifles