Sawn off shotgun muzzle blast

Double barrel, side by side, over-under, semi-automatic, straight-pull and lever action shotguns.

Sawn off shotgun muzzle blast

Post by Tiiger » 25 Sep 2017, 4:16 pm

I don't know if anyone will be in a possible to answer this or not, this is for anyone who's been shooting in the USA or other more friendly countries I suppose.

A heist movie style "sawn off" shotgun that's taken right back to the stock, must have a barrel length of 10" or something?

I was just wondering about the practicality and muzzle blast of such a thing. Your face would be just about hovering over the thing if fired from the hip.

Must be a hell of a muzzle blast in that setup. I was thinking of someone unprepared using one for the first time blowing their hat and glasses off :lol:
Tiiger
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Re: Sawn off shotgun muzzle blast

Post by duncan61 » 25 Sep 2017, 4:34 pm

I had a Winchester semi auto that I tightened the choke in too tight and the barrel bulged just below the choke so I cut the barrel off at the woodwork.The muzzle blast is not that out there but the pattern spreads to about 3 feet at 20 feet with 7 bird shot.I never put oo/sg through it but figure they would spray every where,Bottom line it is pointless and only good for the movies.And before you all get wound up at the buyback in 97 the country police I handed it in to said I may get an enquiry as to why I did it but nothing ever happened and I got my $500 for it.Some of the coach guns you can legally buy have short barrels.I am sure if you reload you could use fast powder and it would all burn in the shorter barrel.I prefer slow powder and a heavy load for hunting,It will reach a long way for rabbits and I dont do tower shooting
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by No1Mk3 » 25 Sep 2017, 6:04 pm

A shotgun cut off at the end of the foregrip to make 8" barrel, and with the butt sawn off at the wrist, is a loud, and impressive bang. The blast more than a foot from the muzzle in any lateral direction is quite negligible.Despite what duncan61 says, it is not just good for the flicks but is very deadly within it's operational parameters, which is room/hallway distance, and horseback to snake distance. Many older stockmen have carried a single barrel of such a thing, and having a go is something to do, most of those blokes had strong wrists! Mind you, they only loaded birdshot not buckshot! Cheers.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by duncan61 » 25 Sep 2017, 6:24 pm

I totaly agree with you no1 The point I meant was to try and drop bunnies at 60 metres with a sawn off.A heavy field load of 4 in a 28 inch barrel will knock them down and barely leave a mark on them
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by Wombat » 25 Sep 2017, 7:28 pm

There is a video of a replica the sawn off that Ben Mendolson used in a film (Killing them softly?) being fired on youtube. That had the ends of the cartridges poking out of the barrels and was still effective.
Wombat
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by duncan61 » 25 Sep 2017, 8:54 pm

Not going to start but effective at what,taking the paint of a wooden door maybe.I tested my sawn off extensivly cos I was curious and had the opportunity and at 40 feet the 7 shot bounced off cardboard.Heavier shot would hit a bit harder but shot needs to be sent down a barrel in a wad then compressed in a choke to develop any sort of speed /energy
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by coroboreeboy » 25 Sep 2017, 9:44 pm

About 50 years ago, I had a single barrel 12 gauge shottie that had both barrel and stock shortened as much as possible. I don't remember much about pattern or accuracy, but what was memorable was the way the sod kicked!
I couldn't hold it in the normal way, with my right thumb over the top of the stock. The recoil was so severe that the lever would cut the web of skin between my thumb and forefinger.
Mind you, it was great for letting my mates have a shot and then watching them jump around swearing waving their hand around.
coroboreeboy
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by duncan61 » 25 Sep 2017, 10:02 pm

12 gauge hammer pistol.Pass
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by AusTac » 25 Sep 2017, 10:05 pm

duncan61 wrote:12 gauge hammer pistol.Pass

Shot my 12g single barrel hammer one armed pistol style with a 1oz slug, never ever again, almost lost my thumb! Couldn't imagine those small shotgun pistol things these days
Certified part time hillbilly
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by Wombat » 25 Sep 2017, 11:10 pm

Wombat
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by marksman » 26 Sep 2017, 8:42 am

duncan61 wrote:I had a Winchester semi auto that I tightened the choke in too tight and the barrel bulged just below the choke so I cut the barrel off at the woodwork.The muzzle blast is not that out there but the pattern spreads to about 3 feet at 20 feet with 7 bird shot.I never put oo/sg through it but figure they would spray every where,Bottom line it is pointless and only good for the movies.And before you all get wound up at the buyback in 97 the country police I handed it in to said I may get an enquiry as to why I did it but nothing ever happened and I got my $500 for it.Some of the coach guns you can legally buy have short barrels.I am sure if you reload you could use fast powder and it would all burn in the shorter barrel.I prefer slow powder and a heavy load for hunting,It will reach a long way for rabbits and I dont do tower shooting

lucky you got your $500 back duncan :thumbsup:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by BRNO_Bigot » 27 Sep 2017, 9:09 pm

Friend back in the third world bought a Walther flare gun, which required no licence and built a 12ga insert for the barrel, which protruded from the front a bit so all in all, maybe 10" barrel.

I shot this with 28 gram 7s with no problem - passed up the opportunity when offered slugs and 3" magnums. mainly because I was unsure of how strong the action was.
--
It's only when you look at an ant through a magnifying glass on a sunny
day that you realise how often they burst into flames.
BRNO_Bigot
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Australian Capital Territory

Post by Ed9362 » 28 Sep 2017, 10:18 pm

A mate of mine used to let both barrels of his old 12g hammergun go at once. All holding it pistol style. It was a full length gun but recoil from a sawn off couldnt be much worse
Ed9362
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 28 Sep 2017, 10:40 pm

Ed9362 wrote:A mate of mine used to let both barrels of his old 12g hammergun go at once. All holding it pistol style. It was a full length gun but recoil from a sawn off couldnt be much worse

If cutting it down halves it's weight then you can double the recoil.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigpete » 30 Sep 2017, 5:59 am

After shortening my old Stevens to minimum length and shooting black powder loads trough it,I'd never do it again in a million years lol !
The muzzle blast from those barrels is pretty unpleasant. Not so bad with modern loads,but terrible with the holy black
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by sneaker » 03 Oct 2017, 9:45 am

Wombat wrote:There is a video of a replica the sawn off that Ben Mendolson used in a film (Killing them softly?) being fired on youtube. That had the ends of the cartridges poking out of the barrels and was still effective.

This? The Littlest Shotgun
sneaker
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by jmr22 » 04 Oct 2017, 6:52 am

I've got one of those Turkish 18" o/u shotguns with a synthetic stock, it is far to painful to shoot 3inch shells out of it because the recoil is so severe, bruising no matter how tight you hold it. good out to about 25 yards then you might as well throw rocks with SG.

cheers.
.177 auto pellet gun
.22lr Marlin box
.22lr Marlin tube mag
.243 Sterling
.30-06 Argentinian
12ga Armed o/u
12ga straight pull STP
jmr22
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Return to Shotguns - 12 gauge, 28 gauge, 410 bore etc.