Best cleaning product for copper fouling?

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Re: Best cleaning product for copper fouling?

Post by Die Judicii » 27 Oct 2017, 2:41 pm

I gather (without reading all these posts) that you are worrying about the effects of Sweets 7.62 on a stainless barrel.

I use it all the time on both stainless and carbon steel barrels.
I have not noticed any ill effect on either. (however, I don't leave it in for extended time) only keep patching till no more blue appears,, then flush with inox,, then dry patch.

For what it's worth tho,,,,,,, I have dribbled a bit on a stainless sink once, and it was about 1/2 hr before I mopped it up,,,, and noticed that it was like acid etched.
You can still see where it was.

The big but is,,,,,,,, a stainless sink is almost guaranteed to be of 304 grade (pretty low grade sh!t),, and certainly not the same grade as a rifle stainless.

Hope the above helps allay any fears you may have about Sweets 7.62

:thumbsup:
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by marksman » 27 Oct 2017, 5:12 pm

sweets will not pit your barrel as some say, will not
what happens is that sweets takes all the oils ect that protect your bore out of the bore like it should
after cleaning the user is supposed to oil the bore to protect it but some don't leaving there bore unprotected
so they get pits and blame the sweets, sweets works very well for what it is supposed to do and can be left in your bore for extended periods
( I mean a few hours will not hurt ) as long as you oil the bore after use there will be no damage
while I am at it you will get the most out of sweets by thrashing a brush loaded with sweets back and forth with the sweets,
when it appears white and frothy it works best
not trying to be funny there :thumbsup:

it is not ammonia that hurts stainless it is bleach
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Gamerancher » 28 Oct 2017, 8:10 am

Just don't use a bronze brush, most of the "copper" will be coming from the brush not the bore. Use a nylon bristled brush.
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 29 Oct 2017, 5:37 pm

"Nothing to see on the SS. So the 20 min on the label is conservative and I needn't have worried the last time when I got interested in a TV program and went a half hour or so."

No the 20 minutes is correct. You use MORE that way. Great for business. Better for us to leave it about 1 hour. :thumbsup:
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by marksman » 29 Oct 2017, 7:46 pm

Oldbloke wrote:"Nothing to see on the SS. So the 20 min on the label is conservative and I needn't have worried the last time when I got interested in a TV program and went a half hour or so."

No the 20 minutes is correct. You use MORE that way. Great for business. Better for us to leave it about 1 hour. :thumbsup:

spot on Oldbloke :thumbsup: :drinks:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by albat » 03 Nov 2017, 7:13 pm

Ok fellas after listening to you blokes i thought i should start getting serious on the crud so was passing the q store in brisbane today and being one of the few places who have boretech in stock i grabbed a newly arrived 16oz bottle for $56 and a nylon brush afer a couple of bottles of the amber stuff im ready to attack the bore :lol:
Attachments
20171103_184915-1-1.jpg
16oz boretech
20171103_184915-1-1.jpg (1.64 MiB) Viewed 5042 times
albat
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Return to Centerfire rifles