Browning T-Bolt varmint barrel vs sporter barrel

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Browning T-Bolt varmint barrel vs sporter barrel

Post by artimu » 16 Dec 2013, 5:53 pm

I'm waiting for my gun store to get some of these in but apparently it's going to be a few weeks...

I know a few guys here have the Browning T-Bolt. What do you guys thinks of the heavy barrel vs the sporter barrel?

I'm tossing up which way to go, but like I said to start... Haven't had the opportunity to feel them both and see what I like.

I guess on this kind of thing the "heavy" barrel is still pretty light? Right?
artimu
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Re: Browning T-Bolt varmint barrel vs sporter barrel

Post by Hinky » 16 Dec 2013, 5:59 pm

Hi artimu,

I've got one with the sporter barrel and I love it.

I bought the sporter only cause I'll be carrying it around lots, but not because the varmint barrel was heavy. Just went with the sporter cause that's what it's for really...

The varmint barrel version is still very, very light. You wouldn't have any problems wielding it freehand at all...

:D
Mosin Nagant M1891
Sako Finnbear L61R 25-06
Browning T-Bolt .22LR Sporter
Browning BL22
Hinky
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by Member-Deleted » 16 Dec 2013, 6:13 pm

artimu wrote:I'm waiting for my gun store to get some of these in but apparently it's going to be a few weeks...

I know a few guys here have the Browning T-Bolt. What do you guys thinks of the heavy barrel vs the sporter barrel?

I'm tossing up which way to go, but like I said to start... Haven't had the opportunity to feel them both and see what I like.

I guess on this kind of thing the "heavy" barrel is still pretty light? Right?

Hi art, from my experience I will never buy another t-bolt again or recommend one to another person. Both triggers would not move more than half a kilo. One barrel was chattered & they could not hold any point of aim. I had to have the barrel lapped on one as well. Honestly there are better rimfires on the market for the price.
Member-Deleted

Post by SendIt » 17 Dec 2013, 7:39 am

Well that's a scathing write up...

First bad word I've heard about them I think...
Sako 85 Hunter Laminated Stainless 30-06 Sprg
Zeiss Conquest HD5 2-10x42

Winchester 1892 44-40
SendIt
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by samf » 17 Dec 2013, 12:38 pm

Jaso wrote:Hi art, from my experience I will never buy another t-bolt again or recommend one to another person. Both triggers would not move more than half a kilo. One barrel was chattered & they could not hold any point of aim. I had to have the barrel lapped on one as well. Honestly there are better rimfires on the market for the price.

Bad luck, Jaso :(

Lots of good feedback in others reviews I've read. You got the dud 2 of the batch obviously :(
samf
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by artimu » 04 Mar 2014, 1:45 pm

Never got around to picking this up.

Maybe a good thing from Jaso's feedback anyway :/

For the price I think I'll change to a Anschutz now anyway. I thought they were a lot more than they are but only about $150 more than the Browning.

I see some of you guys are shooting top groups with them and it comes in a heavy barrel and sporter.

My LGS has them in stock thankfully, going to look this weekend and if all is well I think I'll put my money down ;)
artimu
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by Ian » 28 Oct 2016, 11:02 am

I have a browning T-Bolt .22 SS varmint barrel it shot great for about 2 years beating the Anschutz boys, but lately it is throwing a shot hear and there. Also have one in 17HMR sporter and SS Varmint the Varmint shoots a bit better than the sporter but both are still shooting very accurately and can shoot a perfect score over 75m. My personal opinion is that for long reliability for bench rest shooting Anschutz or Saco. But if your shooting rabbits I'll take the browning.
Ian.
Ian
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Bosbefok » 29 Oct 2016, 12:48 pm

I have a cz 455 .22lr, 17hmr, 22mag that is deadly accurate. I like it for what it is, a no frills, deadly accurate allrounder. I have been using it for occasional, informal, rimfire silhouette with great success.
Winchester 250 .22lr
Remington 673 .243
Remington Cld .25-06
Ruger Hawkeye ll .308
Rossi .44 mag
Bosbefok
Private
Private

New South Wales

Return to Centerfire rifles