Gun safe in the Garage

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Gun safe in the Garage

Post by Zarrs » 29 Sep 2017, 2:19 am

Hey guys

I am just looking for some advice, as I am little confused with things I am reading on the net. I live in Melbourne in the south eastern suburbs and I am about 10min from the beach. My gun safe is half a meter or from a door that leads to an out side area from the garage which has a tin roof. It's very cold in there in winter and very hot in summer.

I've put a re-chargeable dehumidifier which lasts about 2 weeks, before it needs to be recharged in the bottom of the safe. I've also placed reusable pack in the ammo compartment, is that all I need?

I've looked at golden rods on ebay but I don't know if they are compatible with our power points or if I even need one.

I have found an Australian company that sells rods like the golden rod but they are a $100 and I don't want to spend that unless I need it.
Zarrs
Private
Private

Victoria

Re: Gun safe in the Garage

Post by ausbushman » 29 Sep 2017, 8:45 am

I've got a safe in same situation as yours, no dehumidifier or anything like that, the firearms have been wiped down with gun oil and have no issues with rust
ausbushman
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Zarrs » 29 Sep 2017, 9:41 am

thats great! I was a little worried that I might have some issues. It's hard to see if people are trying to sell stuff online or actually inform you.
Zarrs
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by fxol » 29 Sep 2017, 10:51 am

I live right on the beach and just make sure I keep everything coated in wd40, inside and out. No problems with mine.
fxol
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 29 Sep 2017, 4:35 pm

I am in similar situations to you. A light oil every 6 months or so & no problem.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by marksman » 29 Sep 2017, 6:54 pm

I use a saddle/leather care cleaning product called coachaline I'm pretty sure its neatsfoot oil and bees wax
it works a treat as it does not dry out and is not a smell that scares game off
anything that will go over paint products to protect it will be ok to eg: turtle wax
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by AusC » 10 Oct 2017, 3:23 pm

I'm in Victoria, no beach nearby, so not as extreme, but I've always simply thrown those silicon bead packs that come with everything you buy in the safe.

Have what equates to a cupful at a time in there.

Whenever I throw a few new ones in I take a few old ones out to keep the cycle fresh.

Has worked for years without drama, easy and free.
300 Win Mag Tikka T3 Lite.
4-12x42 Zeiss Terra.
AusC
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Lorgar » 14 Oct 2017, 12:14 pm

I'm in a similar place mate, you should be fine.

I just oil mine after use, and have a few silicon bags like AusC and everything's good as new after years.
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Trewella » 21 Oct 2017, 5:23 pm

I don't use moisture beads, I'm about 100m from the beach & have my rifles in gun socks in the safe.

I wipe the metal down after using a rifle & put it in scope & all.

They come out just as good as they went in.
Trewella
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Elite_Sniper » 25 Oct 2019, 2:30 pm

I have a walk-in gun safe/safe room that's 4x7 feet by 6 ft tall. I use two large goldenrods and it keeps the rust at bay. I haven't had any problems and they have been running for about 5 years now uninterrupted. This safe is in the garage that is insulated and never gets below freezing. The goldenrods keep it dry enough in the safe to mitigate any corrosion, even in the hot, humid summer months. Read more about dehumidifiers for gun safe following my link - https://houseweather.org/best-gun-safe-dehumidifier/
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you want
Elite_Sniper
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by SCJ429 » 25 Oct 2019, 10:28 pm

Hi Elliot Snipper, is that a picture of Mark Winterbottom you have there? If not, who is it?
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Elite_Sniper » 04 Dec 2019, 6:08 pm

SCJ429 wrote:Hi Elliot Snipper, is that a picture of Mark Winterbottom you have there? If not, who is it?

You'll wounder, but it my photo ;)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you want
Elite_Sniper
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by SCJ429 » 04 Dec 2019, 6:23 pm

Good for you, I am a fan myself. Preferable to Whingecup an Van Cheesebergen.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Diamond Jim » 04 Dec 2019, 7:17 pm

An old book recommended dissolving petroleum jelly (vaseline) in petrol (personally I'd use Shellite) for long term storage. It wicks into the tightest crevices and as the spirits evaporate it leaves a thin coating of petroleum jelly on the metal. This was for treating shotguns after a day out on the marshes. I've also heard the same story using lanolin (the pure stuff available from some pharmacies). Another is to add a cup of lanolin to each gallon of a home brew cleaner/solvent called Ed's Red for long term storage. Proprietary long-term protectants are available but making a gallon of the stuff for under $20 seems good value to me.
Listing your firearms is as good as a fingerprint.
Diamond Jim
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by MrSavage » 05 Jan 2020, 1:01 pm

fxol wrote:I live right on the beach and just make sure I keep everything coated in wd40, inside and out. No problems with mine.

Have to be careful with wd40 as it is very thin.
I lost a barrel to wd40 because it burnt off in the Qld heat.

I use lanox now as it leaves a persistent coating.
MrSavage
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by 9.3x64 » 05 Jan 2020, 2:06 pm

I live near the ocean and have two safes, one has an electric demidifer, and one does not.
The guns in both safes are wiped down every six months inside and out.
I have never had any rust on any firearms in either safe.
9.3x64
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Jt-2019 » 09 Feb 2020, 6:25 pm

Oil them up
Jt-2019
Private
Private

-

Return to Centerfire rifles