.177 Hunting Pellet advice

Rimfire bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action and self loading rifles. Air rifles.

.177 Hunting Pellet advice

Post by Gaznazdiak » 30 Sep 2017, 5:40 pm

I am currently refurbishing a old .177 BSA Mk5 Meteor with new spring, seals etc for use in and around the shearing and machinery sheds on rats and rabbits, from 0-30m.

It's over 20yrs since I plinked with an air rifle and there is now a wide range of hunting pellets, from a standard looking pellet with a pointy poly tip to plastic pellets with brass tips.

The ones that looked most promising were those in the pic, but at 17.5 gn they only suit pcp guns.

Does anyone have any experience/recommendations in this area?
Attachments
s-l500.jpg
s-l500.jpg (28.33 KiB) Viewed 4384 times
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Re: .177 Hunting Pellet advice

Post by Die Judicii » 30 Sep 2017, 7:31 pm

Never tried anything other than the plain old Winchester brand in the red plastic box.
The same rule applies as usual,,,,,, "shot placement", but even more important so with air rifles.

The Winchester pellets kill pretty damm good so long as you achieve good shot placement.

My preferred placement is level with the actual ear hole, and approx 12 mm behind it.

As a teenager I spent some time studying a rabbit skull, and determined that particular spot was generally a smidge thinner than elsewhere.
It was also of course well in line for fatal brain shots.

Back then the humble old springer air rifles were pretty poor compared to todays air rifles, and needed any advantage one could get.

:thumbsup:
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Dunxy » 30 Sep 2017, 7:37 pm

That pellets way to heavy for your rifle.You really need to try a few out because everyone's rifle likes certain pellets more than others.
I use wad cutters for close up work. Gamo Tc10 are the best heavier pellet I use for long range or extra knockdown.H&N FTT also shoot very nicely and they are 8.5ish grains so maybe a better choice for a springer.You can get a sampler which contains the FTT's as well as 5 other hunting pellets including some up to 11.5grains i would highly recommend it as im sure you will find one if not more pellets to do what you need without buying pellets that may not shoot for sheep out of your rifle.
Not enough characters!
Dunxy
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Gaznazdiak » 01 Oct 2017, 10:05 am

Thanks for that guys. I've been using CCI Quiet 40gn Segmented HP in my little Model 04 .22 for this job and they work a treat but are stupidly expensive.
I started sniping them from a distance with the Hornady 35gn Vmax in the .223 but even though they're tiny and go like stink I was still having the occasional projectile base blow through and punch a hole in a shed wall.
The plan now is to lurk in the shearing shed and whack them from up close.
Myxo and Calici knocked the snot out of them for a few months, shot 641 last year, 36 till Feb when the Calici went out, saw none till 2weeks ago, shot 12 since then.
It's like they're just sprouting out of the ground.
:mrgreen:
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Dunxy » 01 Oct 2017, 11:07 am

Have a bit of time so i got some pics of my phone.
The sampler I highly recommend!

Gamo pellets, the ts-10's run around $10 for 200 and are the best value heavy pellet ive found for my rifle.

Stoeger wad cutters which are the most accurate pellet ive come across for either my Gamo PCP or my mates 30 year old Gecado springer.$15 per 500 they are the best value here hands down.

Heavy hitter silver point.

Groups

These are the the FTT.I have since got rifle dialed better and confident I can get a better group. Im confident i could get all bullseyes with the stoegers if i took my time.

All groups shot indoors @ 20m using my (scoped)Gamo PCP.
Not enough characters!
Dunxy
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 01 Oct 2017, 11:50 am

Very impressive.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 01 Oct 2017, 12:07 pm

Dunxy wrote:Have a bit of time so i got some pics of my phone.
The sampler I highly recommend!
Gamo pellets, the ts-10's run around $10 for 200 and are the best value heavy pellet ive found for my rifle.
Stoeger wad cutters which are the most accurate pellet ive come across for either my Gamo PCP or my mates 30 year old Gecado springer.$15 per 500 they are the best value here hands down.
Heavy hitter silver point.
Groups
These are the the FTT.I have since got rifle dialed better and confident I can get a better group. Im confident i could get all bullseyes with the stoegers if i took my time.
All groups shot indoors @ 20m using my (scoped)Gamo PCP.

I see an air-rifle in my near future. I shot competition with a .177 Norinco when I was a kid so I'm inclined to go with .22 now.
I've been wondering about power though. Jorge Sprave got 1100 joules out of his home made air arrow shooter, but that's a 400gm arrow. How fast would it propel a .22-caliber pellet?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1U7TRDFjnFM
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Gaznazdiak » 01 Oct 2017, 12:44 pm

Thanks Dunxy, I'll definitely grab myself one if those samplers. Nice shioting btw.

This may sound like a silly question, but with the laws going all anal and all you never know from one day to the next, I can get them posted like projectiles because they are inert, right?
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Dunxy » 01 Oct 2017, 1:09 pm

bladeracer wrote:

I see an air-rifle in my near future. I shot competition with a .177 Norinco when I was a kid so I'm inclined to go with .22 now.
I've been wondering about power though. Jorge Sprave got 1100 joules out of his home made air arrow shooter, but that's a 400gm arrow. How fast would it propel a .22-caliber pellet?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1U7TRDFjnFM

I dont think we have anything at 1100 joules, yet! Much love for Joerg.

There are plenty of PCP's going supersonic in .22 shooting light pellets.From my research a .25 has about same enegry @ 50m as a .22 rimfire, so for hunting small game I would (will) go .25 and eventually a .50. The silly FTT Green alloy pellet in the sampler goes supersonic in the coyote,no accuracy though. Surprisingly I was doing some penetration tests and the alloy went nearly as far into timber as one of the super pellets! The heavier led pellets dumped a lot more energy though as they came out basically a blob of lead and the allow pellet looked good enough to shoot again.I personally dont see the point shooting supersonic with air rifles as youd always be better of using a rimfire if noise and/or over penetration was a non issue IMHO.

Im actually craving a springer/gasram as well, while the pcp's are cool AF with magazine and zero recoil it kind of takes the fun out of it! I returned the old Gecado 27 to my mate the other day that i had for a few weeks.

I don't think id buy a .22 PCP myself, id go straight to .25 as it just becomes a bit more versatile.For targets the .177 is the best choice due to flattest trajectory/largest "point blank" range and they have more than enough energy for rats and birds! My gamo will punch a 10 grain slug through 2 birds at once.

EDIT: I meant to add if you have any interest in shooting paper at indoor ranges a lot are .177 max so something to think about.
Last edited by Dunxy on 01 Oct 2017, 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Not enough characters!
Dunxy
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Dunxy » 01 Oct 2017, 1:10 pm

Gaznazdiak wrote:Thanks Dunxy, I'll definitely grab myself one if those samplers. Nice shioting btw.

This may sound like a silly question, but with the laws going all anal and all you never know from one day to the next, I can get them posted like projectiles because they are inert, right?

In the eyes of the POPO air rifle slugs are no different to fishing sinkers so postage is not an issue and you dont even need a license to purchase them.I have however been asked to show licence at times though.
Not enough characters!
Dunxy
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Strikey » 01 Oct 2017, 7:49 pm

As with any air rifle whether it is a springer or PCP, the best hunting pellet is the pellet that shoots best in that air rifle. Stay with quality brands such as H&N or JSB, in 177 you will possibly want the lighter pellets for your rifle, don't bother with those Rabbit Magnums as they don't work in anything.
Strikey
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Sawyers » 01 Oct 2017, 11:10 pm

I use Stoeger X hunter, very accurate pellet
Sawyers
Private
Private

Western Australia

Return to Rimfire rifles, and air rifles