Levers are fun :-)

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Re: Levers are fun :-)

Post by Bent Arrow » 20 Nov 2017, 8:33 am

in2anity wrote:
Gamerancher wrote:This is what I consider a good group out of one of my Winchester Model 94's, this one's a deluxe model made in 1915 chambered in .38-55.
That's 5 shots, off-hand @ 150m using iron sights. ( peep )
Levers are fun...and accurate...and pretty!

Wow incredible shooting GR! :thumbsup:

Yep, fantastic shooting. Way beyond my skills
Bent Arrow
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

South Australia

Post by bladeracer » 20 Nov 2017, 9:16 am

30-30 wrote:Bought myself my first rifle the other day!
It's a Winchester 94 in 30-30, action is as smooth as butter and it shoots like a dream.
Anyone know where I might be able to buy some cast bullets instead of casting them myself?

Berry's should work and the plating should let you drive them fairly hard out of the .30-30
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Gamerancher » 20 Nov 2017, 9:35 am

Photos...I forgot the photos! Here ya go.
38-55 Deluxe.jpg
38-55 Deluxe.jpg (188.17 KiB) Viewed 5110 times

Deluxe 2.jpg
Deluxe 2.jpg (172.54 KiB) Viewed 5110 times

Thre of a kind.jpg
Thre of a kind.jpg (189.81 KiB) Viewed 5110 times

Top one is the 1915 made Deluxe
Middle one is a Legendary Frontiersman, late1980's vintage.
Bottom is a 1960's 1894 Classic that was originally a .30-30 but was re- bored and chambered to .38-55 by none other than Mr P.O.Ackley himself.
All get used for lever-gun silhouette and all have been used to hunt with.
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by in2anity » 20 Nov 2017, 10:09 am

Gamerancher wrote:Photos...I forgot the photos! Here ya go.
Top one is the 1915 made Deluxe
Middle one is a Legendary Frontiersman, late1980's vintage.
Bottom is a 1960's 1894 Classic that was originally a .30-30 but was re- bored and chambered to .38-55 by none other than Mr P.O.Ackley himself.
All get used for lever-gun silhouette and all have been used to hunt with.

So basically the 30/30 lacks the legs to group consistently out to 200m right? Is that why the re-bore to .38-55 would have happened (heavier/more stable .38 lead bullet)? Just curious do you ever use modern jacketed projectiles for CLAS Gamerancher?
Last edited by in2anity on 20 Nov 2017, 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by in2anity » 20 Nov 2017, 10:20 am

Gamerancher wrote:in2anity, are you attending the NSW State lever-gun silhouette in Batemans Bay this coming weekend?

Nah shooting the monthly Silverdale again on Sunday (rimfire); I only shot a 20/40 last month :( so I have some work to do before I would feel competitive enough to travel (and compete).

On a side note, my high-power metallic silhouette build came together recently Gamerancher check it out:

tikka.jpg
tikka.jpg (285.77 KiB) Viewed 5107 times

Tikka CTR 308w, 6.5-20 lewie on top; absolute f*****g tack driver that balances beautifully on your thumb and index finger underneath the box-magazine (@4.1kg). It shoots way better than I can :shock:

BTW thanks for all the "no, that cartridge won't work on the rams" advice recently Gamerancher; in the end I'm glad I went with the venerable 308w :friends:
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Gamerancher » 20 Nov 2017, 2:01 pm

in2anity asked "So basically the 30/30 lacks the legs to group consistently out to 200m right? Is that why the re-bore to .38-55 would have happened (heavier/more stable .38 lead bullet)? Just curious do you ever use modern jacketed projectiles for CLAS Gamerancher?"

In reply:
The gun was re-bored not long after I was born mate. ( Mid 60's ) The original owner just had it sitting on the wall and after reading an article in a magazine about the better energy achievable with the .38-55 compared with a .30-30 for deer hunting, he sent it off to P.O. Ackley to get it done. ( I imported this rifle from the U.S a couple of years ago )
There is nothing wrong with a .30-30 for CLAS. I've used both and can get very similar accuracy out of them compared to the .38-55's. As I have stated before, I run reduced loads and get good results. The secret is finding the sweet spot where you get enough energy retention @ 200m to knock down the rams, with the minimum load to reduce the amount of recoil. ( For me in a .30-30, that is the 17gr of 2207 behind a 170gr cast bullet load that I suggested to you.)
Some fella's run their .30-30's loaded up to the hilt using jacketed bullets with good results, but, I do this for enjoyment. Getting the crap belted out of you 100 times a day is not my idea of fun. :unknown: ( The top 6 shooters in this sport in Australia all run reduced loads - just sayin'. )
I use all cast bullets for CLAS for a couple of reasons. Firstly, it keeps the costs way down and second, I get good results with them, both in accuracy and knock down. There is also the satisfaction of "doing it yourself". :thumbsup:
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by 30-30 » 20 Nov 2017, 11:58 pm

bladeracer wrote:Berry's should work and the plating should let you drive them fairly hard out of the .30-30

Cheers mate I'll check them out! :thumbsup:
30-30
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

PreviousNext

Return to Centerfire rifles