is it only me like this?

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

is it only me like this?

Post by SHV » 05 Oct 2017, 9:25 am

first 4 shots nearly perfect, very happy and excited, then the last one flys :crazy:

Sauer 202 223, BM8208 24.2 super loo the cheapest 55 gr bulk buy projectile, 50 meters indoor shooting range

IMG_3952_副本.jpg
IMG_3952_副本.jpg (112.98 KiB) Viewed 3679 times
SHV
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Re: is it only me like this?

Post by SHV » 05 Oct 2017, 9:28 am

24.2 should be the best load, got good resort before
different load test this time

IMG_3951_副本.jpg
IMG_3951_副本.jpg (59.06 KiB) Viewed 3677 times
SHV
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by SHV » 05 Oct 2017, 9:32 am

CZ527 7.62x39 carbin, AR2207 26.5gr, TBF 130gr projectile, CCI primer, 50 meters indoor
left side 5 shot is mine, first 4 shots ok but last one flys low

IMG_3950_副本.jpg
IMG_3950_副本.jpg (56.03 KiB) Viewed 3677 times
SHV
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by sungazer » 05 Oct 2017, 9:44 am

How are you firing / holding the rifle? I suspect it has something to do with how much shoulder pressure or contact you are using.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by SHV » 05 Oct 2017, 9:47 am

sungazer wrote:How are you firing / holding the rifle? I suspect it has something to do with how much shoulder pressure or contact you are using.

bench rest and rear bag, the normal one, not the expensive stuff
SHV
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by marksman » 05 Oct 2017, 10:12 am

if you can load at the range try only loading 1 case 5 times and shoot at the same target, it will give an idea whether its you or the ammo
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Stix » 05 Oct 2017, 10:51 am

Really im NO expert...so hopefully i dont get hammered for stating anything thats deemed by others to be either stupid or obvious.

I have a similar result on a new rifle of mine. Except it throws 1st shot on cold barrel & throws it pretty bad...that being a cold barrel irrelevant of how clean or fowled it is.
When load testing in .5gr increments can see the flier "clocking" around the group & over 90% of the time its the 1st shot.(same result with 2 diff brass, 7 diff proj's & 2 diff powders, so its pretty conclusive).

I have noticed 2 things so far...
*the flier is less pronounced, & a considerably lesser occurance when load is very close to, at or above 100% density (depending on powder) & chrono data (SD) has single figures (or close to).

*if i shoot on a warm barrel, no flier...!
*Shoot hot barrel=mayhem.

Ive measured each & every case (diameter at web, shoulder etc)..& noticed the barrel/chamber has an ideal operating temp...
Operate within this temp & around 100%load density & no fliers. (Except the first cold shot)

So maybe its heat/expansion from the 4th affecting the 5th shot on your rifle.
Try keeping your cases in order of shooting & measure (shoulder & case diameter at the/just forward of head) & rechamber each one when things cooled down feeling if the last case is tighter..

Ive done this & noticed by the last shot the chamber gas expanded quite a ways.
But then im pumping the brass at or close to 100% density so any chamber expansion is easily distinguishable--not so on mild loads.

Does the same flier happen when you shoot a broad spectrum load test in .5gr steps letting fully cool between groups?
If so can you see the flier clocking around each group?
Try 100m...or better still 200m.
Shoot on a chrono for figures...&/or shoot 200m or further looking for elevation.
If same happens with the above, my very limited experience would just put it down to heat.
Ive found this helped me narrow down the cause of given fliers-shooting longer range &/or over chrono can help pinpoint velocity fliers or bad load or bad shot.
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Stix » 05 Oct 2017, 10:55 am

marksman wrote:if you can load at the range try only loading 1 case 5 times and shoot at the same target, it will give an idea whether its you or the ammo

Good tip ive not thought of...im gonna try that..!!!
Cheers for sharing marksman. :D
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Member-Deleted » 05 Oct 2017, 11:19 am

As a metal person from experience metal can have soft spots so if your barrel is not touching the stock anywhere then it is highly
possible that a barrel can react to the first cold shot and level out when the barrel is warm but magnify when the barrel is
hot I haven't tried what the others have suggested but did have a sporting barrel that had a soft spot about 2/3's the way down
the barrel tried everything ended up having to change the barrel
Hopefully yours isn't a soft spot and can be remedied easily
Member-Deleted

Post by SHV » 05 Oct 2017, 11:21 am

marksman wrote:if you can load at the range try only loading 1 case 5 times and shoot at the same target, it will give an idea whether its you or the ammo

good point
SHV
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by Wm.Traynor » 05 Oct 2017, 12:22 pm

Action bedded properly? Floating barrel?
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 05 Oct 2017, 12:26 pm

What are you complaining about? Look great to me. :lol: I sure can't shoot that straight in the field.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Member-Deleted » 05 Oct 2017, 4:14 pm

Well SHV if all the bullets went in one hole on a deer your only getting the benefit of one bullet the rest will go straight through
But if they're spread out a little you get full benefit of them all me thinks ( LOL ) It must be the irish in me
Member-Deleted

Post by SHV » 05 Oct 2017, 10:41 pm

Wm.Traynor wrote:Action bedded properly? Floating barrel?

barely factory rifles :oops:
SHV
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by winton » 06 Oct 2017, 2:02 pm

What scope and magnification you have on it for those groups?

Do you swap out scopes when developing loads?

Whats your trigger at? Trigger job?

Pretty good for factory setup.
winton
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 06 Oct 2017, 7:25 pm

grandadbushy wrote:Well SHV if all the bullets went in one hole on a deer your only getting the benefit of one bullet the rest will go straight through
But if they're spread out a little you get full benefit of them all me thinks ( LOL ) It must be the irish in me

That is great info, to be sure, to be sure.
:lol: :lol:
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by on_one_wheel » 06 Oct 2017, 7:30 pm

It's not just you ... I regularly have one where that 5th shot changes it from a .5 group to a .75 group or even .3 to a .5 :evil:

I generally put it down to, I should have stopped at 4 :lol:
Since getting my chronograph, it's shown me that a elevation change is generally a faster round due to a case volume being different.

I've sorted most of my cases into volume batches but theres a few batches with the odd volume variations in the mix ... I can't justify throwing out good brass just because it's an odd volume.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by BRNO_Bigot » 06 Oct 2017, 8:27 pm

on_one_wheel wrote:It's not just you ... I regularly have one where that 5th shot changes it from a .5 group to a .75 group or even .3 to a .5 :evil:

I generally put it down to, I should have stopped at 4 :lol:
Since getting my chronograph, it's shown me that a elevation change is generally a faster round due to a case volume being different.

I've sorted most of my cases into volume batches but theres a few batches with the odd volume variations in the mix ... I can't justify throwing out good brass just because it's an odd volume.

Mentally, you should always phsych yourself up that you are going to shoot a 6-shot group and then decide at the last possible moment to not fire the last one .... :)

... and to the original question - it isn't only you.
--
It's only when you look at an ant through a magnifying glass on a sunny
day that you realise how often they burst into flames.
BRNO_Bigot
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Australian Capital Territory

Return to Centerfire rifles