Feedback required (what's your opinion)

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Feedback required (what's your opinion)

Post by Die Judicii » 09 Oct 2017, 10:29 pm

I have had an advert running continuously since 5/6/2017 on "Buy Used Guns"

In all that time I have not had a single inquiry. :unknown:

The firearm is true to the description, without a single doubt.

It was closely inspected and valued by the LGS, and advertised accordingly.

So what are the opinions of members ?

Look on "Buy Used Guns" and type in the search box,, Remington Mountain 700

Serial # S6498064
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Re: Feedback required (what's your opinion)

Post by Member-Deleted » 10 Oct 2017, 12:20 am

DJ I went into Buy Used Guns and couldn't find the rifle I may have got things a little wrong :? :?
Member-Deleted

Post by Apollo » 10 Oct 2017, 2:12 am

http://www.buyusedguns.com.au/remington ... -6512.html

Personally....and maybe for others. "Buy Used Guns" is not a place I visit if looking. I'd rather pay my old mate Dave from School for an ad that gets a lot more attention. In fact "Buy Used Guns" I have now visited probably 3 times since it started some years ago. Bit like putting an ad in a local paper rather than something national.

Comments... I don't like Remingtons so I wouldn't go looking even though I have one (Customized Target Rifle) and would not buy another. It's 10 YO and perhaps people wonder why only 7 rounds fired, I would rather buy just a rifle not a rifle and scope so try advertising them separately, maybe it's a bit rich for it's age. "Trigger Lightened By Dealer" could make one scratch the head... what do dealers know about lightning triggers other than fiddling with a screw, maybe leave that part out. Last is for me I have no use for a 30-06`.

Don't know really but it looks nice...
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by marksman » 10 Oct 2017, 7:15 am

I've sold on buy used guns, it did take a month or so the last rifle I sold but I expected that,
maybe drop the price slightly that is what sold my last one, I don't mind buy used guns for selling myself
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by in2anity » 10 Oct 2017, 8:50 am

K a couple of random thoughts that pop into my head:

• it's a 30-06; somewhat of a niche caliber these days
  • it forces a scope as a package; many already own scopes
  • leupolds are expensive; many don't actually want such a good scope for knock-about hunting
  • silver scopes aren't as popular as black scopes
  • looks to be a laminate stock; walnut potentially has better resale

How about taking the scope off it and trying it for $1000? Also try put adds on https://www.usedguns.com.au/ http://www.ozgunsales.com/ https://ssaagunsales.com/ tbh i'd never even heard of http://www.buyusedguns.com.au
Last edited by in2anity on 10 Oct 2017, 10:18 am, edited 3 times in total.
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Cooper » 10 Oct 2017, 10:01 am

Why has it only fired 7 rounds?
Sliver scope not my thing. (Might be somebody else's)
It only takes one buyer. Maybe the right buyer hasn't seen it yet?
Cooper
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 10 Oct 2017, 1:34 pm

I'm pretty much as others have said.
I don't buy rifles with scopes, although if it happened to have a scope I specifically wanted I'd consider it. But I prefer to buy scopes new and to suit exactly what I want (ordering two more this week actually). If I were going to sell a rifle I would keep the scope for another rifle.
I'm also not a fan of the Remington 700 so it's not an ad I would be looking at, but for anybody looking for one it looks like a nice rifle at a nice price.
I don't see any reason for modern hunting rifles to be long-action, so no .25-'06, .270, or .30-'06 for me. And not a fan of lami-stocks or silver scopes, but those are they're easily replaced and neither would steer me away if I really wanted the rifle.

The 7rds fired is also a red flag for me, like seeing a motorcycle listed as "low mileage", I have to wonder why, is it really that terrible that you can't stand taking it out of the safe. I don't see it as a good selling point so maybe don't even mention how many rounds it's fired? Would I really want to buy a rifle only to find I also might only put seven rounds through it and then leave it in the safe? Every rifle I've ever bought I put more than seven rounds through it as soon as I get it home :-)

Some people like Leupold scopes, but don't like the prices so they'll buy them secondhand. You might want to try advertising it separately?

It looks like a nice rifle so I can't imagine it not selling. Is it priced comparably with similar listings?
I can't recall ever looking at Buyusedguns before, although I'm sure I must have done. I prefer usedguns.com.au when I'm looking to see what's around.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by AlanK » 10 Oct 2017, 1:48 pm

in2anity wrote:How about taking the scope off it and trying

I think that'd work better too.

Sell the scope separately.
AlanK
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by yoshie » 10 Oct 2017, 5:04 pm

I think you'll find that site doesn't have as much traffic as others such as usedguns.com.au
yoshie
Sergeant
Sergeant

Australian Capital Territory

Post by Die Judicii » 10 Oct 2017, 5:59 pm

Hi all,,,,,,,,

Thanks one and all for the input and opinions,, I'll endeavor to try and address all of you in one reply,,, so here goes.

1) I have previously advertised it as "bare rifle", and still didn't get a single inquiry.

2) The 7 rnds is genuine, (LGS guys argued btween themselves whether or not it had actually been fired) and the main reason why it sat in the safe is
twofold.
(a) I had only just taken possession of it when my marriage vapourised,and I lost all interest in shooting for quite some time.
(b) I own other 30-06s and even they don't get used much, but this one simply sat in the safe.

3) My local gunsmith said (at time I advertised it) that to put the same package together, it would cost more than $2,000 so I thought $1,700 was a
reasonable price given it's condition. (maybe I'm dead wrong)

4) Also, I didn't say previously, but the scope was also brand new, and has only witnessed the 7 rnds being fired.

5) In the time this has been advertised I have seen 2 other (same make,, model,, etc rifles that were only listed as very good, with a fair few rnds down the
spout that sold for more than $1,700 one was a bare rifle, and one with a scope.
So I'm still rather confused.

With the abovementioned,,,,,, is the general concensus still the same ? ? ?
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Chronos » 10 Oct 2017, 6:08 pm

I list 10-20 guns a week, most sell in a day or two. With used stuff traffic is key so used guns is the go to website. if it doesn't sell it's either too expensive or it's too dear. Doesn't matter what it cost new it's used now so it's worth 50-70% of new price. You just have to decide if you want to sell it quickly or wait for ages then lower the price to sell it

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by TBJ » 10 Oct 2017, 6:36 pm

Personally and take it with a grain of salt as you wish, But I think the price might be a little high, a whilst it has only shot 7 rounds, it's still a used gun and as such has to be listed at used gun prices, personally I'm not a fan of silver scopes but I know of others who love them, the only other thing is the site you've used, as others have said 'Buy Used Guns' is not a site that I look at when looking for a used gun, I think you would be best off listing it on 'Used Guns' thats the site I and most of the people I know look and when in the market for a used or even new guns (found a few great deals on new scopes, guns and accsesories listed by gun shops).
Hope my opinion helped some what
Have: .17H .22LR .204R .222REM .223REM .22-250 .243WIN .270WIN .308WIN .300WM 7.62x39 30-06SPRG .303BRIT 30-30WIN 9.3x62 45-70GOVT 44RMAG 45LC 20GA 12GA .410GA
Want: .220SWIFT 6.5CREED .260REM .375H&H .416RIGBY .444MARLIN .458WIN 16GA 28GA
TBJ
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by on_one_wheel » 10 Oct 2017, 6:59 pm

Personally If I was looking for a Remington like that I'd be more inclined to buy new especially if the second hand price is close to new price simply because when I see guns for sale with not many shots fired it gets me wondering if it wasn't a good shooter and it's being moved on because of that.

I also agree that separating the scope and rifle will probably help.
People generally already have a scope in mind when they buy something like that. That should make the price of the rifle more attractive.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bladeracer » 10 Oct 2017, 7:05 pm

Die Judicii wrote:Hi all,,,,,,,,

Thanks one and all for the input and opinions,, I'll endeavor to try and address all of you in one reply,,, so here goes.

1) I have previously advertised it as "bare rifle", and still didn't get a single inquiry.

2) The 7 rnds is genuine, (LGS guys argued btween themselves whether or not it had actually been fired) and the main reason why it sat in the safe is
twofold.
(a) I had only just taken possession of it when my marriage vapourised,and I lost all interest in shooting for quite some time.
(b) I own other 30-06s and even they don't get used much, but this one simply sat in the safe.

3) My local gunsmith said (at time I advertised it) that to put the same package together, it would cost more than $2,000 so I thought $1,700 was a
reasonable price given it's condition. (maybe I'm dead wrong)

4) Also, I didn't say previously, but the scope was also brand new, and has only witnessed the 7 rnds being fired.

5) In the time this has been advertised I have seen 2 other (same make,, model,, etc rifles that were only listed as very good, with a fair few rnds down the
spout that sold for more than $1,700 one was a bare rifle, and one with a scope.
So I'm still rather confused.

With the abovementioned,,,,,, is the general concensus still the same ? ? ?

I'm sure you have perfectly genuine reasons for not using the rifle much, I was just saying how I see it as a potential buyer. If I were buying a very low-mileage bike I'd be looking at it very closely to work out why the owner hated riding it - maybe crap tyres, bad vibration, suspension not set up properly, did he simply prefer cleaning it than riding it, or is it so unreliable it's spent its life sitting in workshops? And also looking at the potential problems of buying a bike that's spent most of its life sitting in a garage. Same with firearms.

I would say try listing it elsewhere first, but I can't see why it shouldn't sell.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Die Judicii » 10 Oct 2017, 9:47 pm

bladeracer wrote:
I would say try listing it elsewhere first, but I can't see why it shouldn't sell.

Me neither mate,,,,,,, thats why I was asking for opinions.

However the majority say separate scope from rifle,,, and try a different venue,,,, and lower the $$$

So soon as I can get around to separating them I'll try again, and drop the $$$ and try a different venue.

Cheers,,,,,,,,,,, :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by RoginaJack » 13 Oct 2017, 9:07 pm

Chronos wrote:I list 10-20 guns a week, most sell in a day or two.

Chronos

Hey Chronos, If in you come across a .222, B.A., LEFT HANDED rifle in your travels, would you give me a yell, please.
Cheers :)
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by straightshooter » 14 Oct 2017, 7:35 am

You would have been better served if you had asked the gunshop how much they were willing pay you for the rifle. That way you at least have a bottom line to work from.
A quick scan of used guns reveals there are a lot of 30-06 rifles offered for sale and not all that many that are actually sold. Although one caught my eye. A fairly modern looking Steyr Mannlicher Professional with a Zeiss Diatel scope sold for $1700.
What that is telling me is there aren't too many buyers out there for a 30-06 at present and those that are buying will naturally go for the bargains.
I personally have some difficulty selling rifles so when the time comes I would probably explore the avenue of selling on consignment through a gunshop.
"Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about."
"There is no expedient to which a man will not resort to avoid the real labor of thinking." Sir Joshua Reynolds
straightshooter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Chronos » 14 Oct 2017, 8:20 am

RoginaJack wrote:
Chronos wrote:I list 10-20 guns a week, most sell in a day or two.

Chronos

Hey Chronos, If in you come across a .222, B.A., LEFT HANDED rifle in your travels, would you give me a yell, please.
Cheers :)

I'll try and remember :thumbsup:

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by Die Judicii » 14 Oct 2017, 10:26 pm

straightshooter wrote:You would have been better served if you had asked the gunshop how much they were willing pay you for the rifle. That way you at least have a bottom line to work from.
A quick scan of used guns reveals there are a lot of 30-06 rifles offered for sale and not all that many that are actually sold. Although one caught my eye. A fairly modern looking Steyr Mannlicher Professional with a Zeiss Diatel scope sold for $1700.
What that is telling me is there aren't too many buyers out there for a 30-06 at present and those that are buying will naturally go for the bargains.
I personally have some difficulty selling rifles so when the time comes I would probably explore the avenue of selling on consignment through a gunshop.

Did that,,,,,,,,,, that's where I got the figure of $1700 from, (my local gun shop who are pretty competitive compared to another much larger one)

The other much larger shop,, I approached before I listed it, and the manager must've thought I was an idiot.
He was a typical tyre kicker,,,,,,,

Said that it had finger prints on the stock,,, and that nobody likes Leupold scopes any more,,, and he would consider giving me $500 for it as a package.
(The finger prints were not in the stock finish, and wiped off with a tissue)

This same gunshop has the same scope rings that I bought last week from my LGS,,,,,, but at more than double the price.

No wonder anytime I drive past there are hardly any vehicles in its car park.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Return to Centerfire rifles