New toy - 45-70

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

New toy - 45-70

Post by juststarting » 12 Oct 2017, 10:37 pm

Periodically skimming you retards talking about hordes of guns in the burbs, I decided to take a look at the greentard gun per suburb site. It was down, but Top 100 was up and to my disgust I was nowhere near. Sure, I made a good dent, but still a long way to go. Disgusted with myself I set out to remedy this problem ;) Anyway, saw this little thing pop up on one of the used guns websites and bam! It was mine. Funny, another one popped up a day after for $300+ more, so pretty happy with my little hand cannon.

I was actually looking for a cheap single shot 45-70, because I just want to shoot it, though I don’t see me using it in any other way, other than on the range or plinking, so this was just perfect star alignment.

I name her Chunkythunder. Came with rail and scope, but I think I’ll pop a red dot on it.

Anyhow... I get currier alert, rifle delivered, sweet, left work early the next day and went to pick it up. While they are doing all the transfers, I am walking around, looking at things and spotted something interesting (yes, bought another rifle) - https://enoughgun.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=7168&p=142026#p142026

By then, the guy calls me up, sorry man, really, sorry, something is wrong with the registry today, I can't do an interstate transfer thing... And he was genuinely apologetic and halved the fees for me… Not his fault, but there I am, holding my Chunkythunder, that I now have to leave there, thinking to myself – that’s okay, that's perfectly ok, revange will be swift... So I came home and bough a third boom stick, just to show them! More on that when I get free time to pick it up, probably a week or so, will be in the milsurps section ;)
---
https://reloadingstudio.com
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Re: New toy - 45-70

Post by Oldbloke » 13 Oct 2017, 6:13 am

Light weight sambar rifle? Good price? But might need a bit of lead shot in the stock for heavy loads.
I've slowly come to the conclusion that for general hunting single barrels are under rated.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by in2anity » 13 Oct 2017, 6:46 am

Nice bit of timber - you gonna handload for it?
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by juststarting » 13 Oct 2017, 7:07 am

in2anity wrote:Nice bit of timber - you gonna handload for it?

I bought 2 boxes of PPU, after I shoot them, yes - purchased for the brass. Will cast and load :drinks:
---
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by Daddybang » 13 Oct 2017, 7:29 am

Nice cannon!!! Good to see ya doin ya part to freak out the antis!!! Keep up the good work!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :thumbsup:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by juststarting » 13 Oct 2017, 7:41 am

Oldbloke wrote:Light weight sambar rifle? Good price? But might need a bit of lead shot in the stock for heavy loads.
I've slowly come to the conclusion that for general hunting single barrels are under rated.

It's talking like this that reduces magazine capacities, OB. Deer hunting requires lots of ammo. Typically if you're out stalking, you'd need a full magazine. Also, one in the chamber and 5-8 cartridges in the tactical ammo carrier on my stock. This compliments the 150-round ammo belt hung across my body. And emergency 20 rounds in the bag. If you're hunting as a group, it's also advisable that your partie does the same, with a range of short and long range support rifles in case deer returns fire.
---
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by southwest shooter » 13 Oct 2017, 8:18 am

45-70 govt , the only government I trust .
Nice shooter .
southwest shooter
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by BRNO_Bigot » 13 Oct 2017, 9:19 am

southwest shooter wrote:45-70 govt , the only government I trust .
Nice shooter .

I trusted the Colt Government as well (aka M1911 with or without the A1) :)
--
It's only when you look at an ant through a magnifying glass on a sunny
day that you realise how often they burst into flames.
BRNO_Bigot
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Australian Capital Territory

Post by in2anity » 13 Oct 2017, 9:53 am

Post your groups once you find your load - I'm always curious about the possible precision of those old calibers.
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Wm.Traynor » 13 Oct 2017, 10:21 am

in2anity wrote:Post your groups once you find your load - I'm always curious about the possible precision of those old calibers.

:D I'm curious to see how that "different" kind of rifle shoots :thumbsup:
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by brett1868 » 13 Oct 2017, 10:33 am

Good work, great to see the youth of today sticking it to the man :) Funny enough I bought a 45-70 last week myself, just waiting on the PTA so hopefully ill get it next week. Awesome round but it seems to have an above average recoil for it's size which I don't understand, I shoot bigger stuff that boots less....
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Noisydad » 13 Oct 2017, 11:42 am

A vernier sight mounted on the tang and set of cross sticks is only a short step away!
There's still a few of Wile. E Coyote's ideas that I haven't tried yet.
Noisydad
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by in2anity » 13 Oct 2017, 12:02 pm

Noisydad wrote:A vernier sight mounted on the tang and set of cross sticks is only a short step away!

True - short sight radius though, and considering it's a stubby little thing, i reckon he's going to want as much additional weight as possible (not that a red dot will contribute much in that regard though I suppose :crazy: )
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 13 Oct 2017, 5:52 pm

juststarting wrote:
Oldbloke wrote:Light weight sambar rifle? Good price? But might need a bit of lead shot in the stock for heavy loads.

It's talking like this that reduces magazine capacities, OB. Deer hunting requires lots of ammo. Typically if you're out stalking, you'd need a full magazine. Also, one in the chamber and 5-8 cartridges in the tactical ammo carrier on my stock. This compliments the 150-round ammo belt hung across my body. And emergency 20 rounds in the bag. If you're hunting as a group, it's also advisable that your partie does the same, with a range of short and long range support rifles in case deer returns fire.

Please accept my apologies JS. I'm a complete idiot. Next time I head out fox whistling I'll make a point of taking at least 100 rounds. Once again please forgive me for for being a total goose. Thanks for being omnipotent.

Signed, the idiot. :thumbsup:

P. S. I think I will place a quad barrel British Machine gun .50 cal rifle on order next week for the rabbits. Perhaps Brett can help out with some reloading data so I can load up a few hundred round at a good price. Way to go.
Last edited by Oldbloke on 13 Oct 2017, 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Daddybang » 13 Oct 2017, 6:33 pm

Oldbloke wrote:
juststarting wrote:

Please accept my apologies JS. I'm a complete idiot. Next time I head out fix whistling I'll make a point of taking at least 100 rounds. Once again please forgive me for for being a total goose. Thanks for being omnipotent.

Signed, the idiot. :thumbsup:

P. S. I think I will place a quad barrel British Machine gun .50 cal rifle on order next week for the rabbits. Perhaps Brett can help out with some reloading data so I can load up a few hundred round at a good price. Way to go.

Geeze ob what were ya thinking?? :lol: :drinks:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 13 Oct 2017, 6:41 pm

I regret at times I have a mental lapse.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by marksman » 13 Oct 2017, 6:49 pm

good for you juststarting, what a great gun and calibre for stalking close, it will be a fast shooter and hit really hard, well done :thumbsup:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Supaduke » 13 Oct 2017, 7:32 pm

45-70 makes you more manly and puts hair on your chest. Also good for dislodging stubborn ear wax and bowel movements.
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by juststarting » 13 Oct 2017, 8:03 pm

Lol
---
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by brett1868 » 13 Oct 2017, 8:11 pm

Here you go mate.....
Cutting Edge 798gr HP, 212.5gr of AR2218, RWS Primer, 5.709" COAL should be good for rabbits cause it's awesome on cats :lol:
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 13 Oct 2017, 8:23 pm

Grouse.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by KennyA » 14 Oct 2017, 9:25 am

Nice.
I too have got to a single shot 45-70.
Just getting into casting and reloading for this beast.
I shoot both smokeless and black powder.

Cheers and enjoy.
Attachments
20170729_081016_resized.jpg
CVA Scout V2. (45-70)
20170729_081016_resized.jpg (917.74 KiB) Viewed 6505 times
.177 &.22 Air rifle, .22lr, 223 Rem, 308 Win, 308 Ackley Imp, 410, 45-70, 12g single, U/O, S/S
KennyA
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 14 Oct 2017, 4:18 pm

A single barrel must kick like a mule.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Wm.Traynor » 14 Oct 2017, 7:14 pm

Oldbloke wrote:A single barrel must kick like a mule.

Assuming they are pretty light, I would think so too
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by Member-Deleted » 14 Oct 2017, 8:09 pm

Well Oldbloke if that's the case you some times have regret for lapses in memory well my whole life must be full of regret :? :?
I can't remember anything most times head like a sieve :thumbsup: :lol: :lol:
Member-Deleted

Post by BRNO_Bigot » 14 Oct 2017, 8:48 pm

Wm.Traynor wrote:
Oldbloke wrote:A single barrel must kick like a mule.

Assuming they are pretty light, I would think so too

Yeah, I was thinking the same, and I think those Handi Rifles are fairly light, but I do admit I haven't actually seen nor handled one. Anyway JS - let us know how it goes.
--
It's only when you look at an ant through a magnifying glass on a sunny
day that you realise how often they burst into flames.
BRNO_Bigot
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Australian Capital Territory

Post by juststarting » 14 Oct 2017, 8:52 pm

Will do.
---
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 15 Oct 2017, 7:06 am

Yeah, bit of shot up the stock will help. Sort of defeats the advantage of the single break open though. Still looks great.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Wm.Traynor » 15 Oct 2017, 9:51 am

I can see a heavy duty Past Recoil Shield in the OP's future ;)
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by Gamerancher » 15 Oct 2017, 10:38 am

For an accurate,( at least it was in my Marlin CB), light recoiling load, try 16gr of Trailboss behind a 370-400gr cast bullet. Used to use that load out to 200m for the rams in lever-gun silhouette. The mate I sold it to still uses that load.
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Next

Return to Centerfire rifles