New toy - 45-70

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Re: New toy - 45-70

Post by bigrich » 20 Mar 2018, 5:11 pm

any opinions on marlin 1895G guide gun 18.5 " barrel ,versus marlin 1895 with 22" barrel . also looking at CVA scout rifle . and don't nobody say buy them all. not that wealthy :D
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by juststarting » 20 Mar 2018, 5:26 pm

bigrich wrote:any opinions on marlin 1895G guide gun 18.5 " barrel

Don't know about the rest, but I did shoot a couple of rounds from this one (above), only offhand though. Ammo, factory Hornady FTX. Recoil was very manageable, then again, I think all recoil is manageable. Small, compact rifle. Lite and very easy to carry.

After shooting that one, I knew I had to have a 45-70! If I didn't find that single shot, I would have gone for that exact model.

Can't really comment on its reliability or smoothness of lever action though. Not enough experience on it.
---
https://reloadingstudio.com
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by bigrich » 20 Mar 2018, 5:35 pm

both those rifles are for sale within half hour from me. was thinking a longer barrel will help with velocity/ energy build up. a guide gun with hornady 325 ftx would be fun for a hunt. and any passing army APC's :lol: :lol:
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by sungazer » 20 Mar 2018, 5:43 pm

Mate you are certainly getting a collection, a very nice one even with the odd old ugly but interesting rifle. You must have learn t heaps along the way with all the different actions, types of rifle, old technology, new technology ect. You've done your bit for the March campaign. I think I am joining the ranks of getting too poor to buy lots of toys. The last ones were cheap but all the extras added up to a bunch. Next rifle means a new safe to and that would have to be a big one to cater for expansion. It would be an under sight to just get a smaller one to cater for near future (money allowing). I mean I think I would like to get one of those about a meter wide. Thinking of building one myself. other than the vault type multi locking bar. I could do it reasonably. A couple of Lockwood dead latch type looks I think would meet the Vic regs? Still a lot of money if you use thick good steel.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by bigrich » 20 Mar 2018, 6:13 pm

i got 8 now SG, traded a couple off that didn't work for me. as of now i have - CZ 452 2E supermatch , Krico 300 series (late 50's ? , out shoots the CZ ! ) Krico 400 deluxe varmit barrel with "match" trigger in 22 hornet, Krico 600 in 22-250 (awsome fully adjust trigger ), mod 70 chinwester "super grade" in 6.5x55 med s/s sporter barrel, m96 carl gustav 1909, Fausti 12ga u/o , 1974 made 30-30 mod 94 with williams peep, lot's of fun ! my collection is screaming out for a large bore 45-70. pigs/goats could be wearing body armour ! :lol:
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 20 Mar 2018, 6:21 pm

hey SG , was talking to a dealer at ipswich gun fair on the weekend, he has a 2m high , 2.5m x 4m safe ! i had considered a 9.3x62 ( gud german round ya ? ) in a bolt action. but i reckon a marlin in 45-70 would be more fun. thinking longer barrel to help range/accuracy rather than a guide gun
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by sungazer » 20 Mar 2018, 7:13 pm

Actually that comment applies to both you and Juststarting. he has also done some new guns recently. Not sure I would go for a deep safe. I prefer the rack style on the inside so wide and high but 400-600mm deep is enough.
I think we would all like the strong room option with a work bench inside as well. That would allow for gun smithing to be done and locked up at night without moving bits that might need to be kept still.
The 6.5 sounds like the born killer to me perhaps a heavier barrel.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by bigrich » 20 Mar 2018, 7:28 pm

was onto cheap norma factory ammo for me 6.5, 156 gr vulkans for $43 a box ( wanted a good collection of norma bras for reloads as well ) shot a big billy goat from behind his left shoulder, exited out right side of his chest. hit the ground kicked his legs once and that was it.other goats i have shot dropped just as quick. haven't come across pigs yet. have shot 12mm groups at 100. average around 20 mm. run a luopold vx2 3-9x40 scope. just wanted one good qaulity all round rifle and grabbed this second hand out of a gun shop. jackpot ! as for safes, if i win the lotto i'll build a bunker....
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 20 Mar 2018, 7:33 pm

have shot 2 " groups at 100 with my 1909 swede with that same norma ammo too ! with open sights :thumbsup: anyway , back on topic, on page 2 of this topic is a photo of a CVA scout. check it out. i can get the same gun for $550 second hand. 26" barrell would get more out of 45-70 methinks ! :roll:
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by in2anity » 20 Mar 2018, 9:16 pm

Bigrich have you considered the Marlin 1895CB? It has the long octagonal 26” barrel. I saw one stupidly cheap for $1180 new the other day - if it wasn’t for PCCLAS restrictions I would have got one of those instead of the 44mag.
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by bigrich » 22 Mar 2018, 6:14 pm

hey in2anity, 26" barrel is probably too big a unit than i want. i'm looking at those older "JM" marked marlins, or a newer one with the 22 " barrel and a half mag. i'll keep looking..... :thumbsup:
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by in2anity » 23 Mar 2018, 7:41 am

bigrich wrote:hey in2anity, 26" barrel is probably too big a unit than i want. i'm looking at those older "JM" marked marlins, or a newer one with the 22 " barrel and a half mag. i'll keep looking..... :thumbsup:

Yeah fair nuff mate; just remember irrespective of whether the rifle is JM stamped or not, all (non-CB) rifles produced after 1954 have that microgroove barrel, which IMO for a handloader using lead bullets, just plain complicates things. As you may know, if you want to optimise lead through the microgroove, you generally have to swage them to like 2 or 3 thou over spec. This requirement is an outright PITA - I like to buy off-the-shelf (lead) bullets knowing they will just work (like they are supposed to!). This is why moving forward, I will only ever get ballard-rifled marlins - for a handloader it just simplifies things. Or alternatively, just avoid marlins altogether! :sarcasm:
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by bigrich » 23 Mar 2018, 6:07 pm

just simplifies things. Or alternatively, just avoid marlins altogether! :sarcasm

didn't realise marlins had "micro-groove " for that long. probably why i bought a really clean, hardly used 1974 made mod 94 30-30. i think some marlins had the six groove rifling, which i would prefer. i like the idea of a marlin cause it's got a stronger action. i did own a 336, but a winnie '94 with 20 "barrel is lighter and more usefull as a scrub gun in my opinion. stepping up to 45-70, i would want a stronger action to run hotter loads which is the reasoning for a marlin. :thumbsup:
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by Gamerancher » 26 Mar 2018, 8:42 am

If you want a stronger action for a .45-70, get a 1886 Winchester.
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by bigrich » 26 Mar 2018, 4:25 pm

the 1886 has the stronger action ? i thought it was the marlin. must say i like the marlin better for cleaning but. but i like my '94 30-30 a lot better for carrying , pointability AND it's more accurate than a 336 i had, nice light scub gun with a set of FP williams peeps on it. buuuuut. a 45-70 would be fun. need to get a shoot at the range when i can to get a better more informed view on 45-70 but. helped a mate sight in a tikka t3 lite in 300 win mag shooting 150 gr chinwester ammo. can anyone give me a idea on felt recoil ?
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by Gamerancher » 27 Mar 2018, 5:59 am

Yes, the 1886 is a stronger action. They were chambered in the "big-bore" chamberings of the single shot rifles of the day, right up to .50-110.
The 1892 Winchester is just a scaled down version designed to be light and handy and chambered in "pistol" chamberings.
Have a good look at the Marlin 336, there is 5/8 of f£ck all metal stopping the bolt from coming back into your eye.
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by bigrich » 27 Mar 2018, 4:39 pm

thanks for the info GR, much appreciated . while i've got your attention, what info opinions can you give me on .375 win ? cheers.
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by Gamerancher » 01 Apr 2018, 7:18 am

Sorry, been busy.
The .375 Winchester is basically the .38-55 reborn in a heavier stronger case and loaded to much higher pressures. Winchester made the "big bore" model 94 with beefed up frame to handle the higher pressures. I've only shot a borrowed one and that was using reduced loads so cannot speak as to the capabilities of the cartridge but it delivers much higher energy than the .30-30 and is not far behind the .444. It is based on the .38-55 which has always been a good accurate and effective hunting cartridge. ( The fact that the .38-55 is over 130 years old and still being chambered in new guns says something, just like the .45-70, 6.5 x 55 etc.)
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 02 Apr 2018, 9:06 am

Any pics of any groups from it?
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by bigrich » 02 Apr 2018, 5:30 pm

just asking people who know about 45-70 at the moment bigfellascott. i like the idea of a heavy hitter that will anchor a pig/goat or deer on the spot, trying to find out as much as i can to make a informed decision. there is a CVA scout break barrel not far from me . i'm thinking about grabbing that cause i already have a sweet '94 30-30 in a lever. any advice or facts on 45-70 would be appreciated bigfella
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Previous

Return to Centerfire rifles