New to shooting .where to go to plink in vic?

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

New to shooting .where to go to plink in vic?

Post by Shooter » 15 Oct 2017, 6:24 am

Hi guys my wife and i have just got our licenses and purchased a cz .22 and an Adler 110 we live out towards phillip island and were wondering where we could go and just set up some targets and have a bit of a plink is this something you can do in state forest?
Regards
Shooter
Shooter
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Re: New to shooting .where to go to plink in vic?

Post by AusTac » 15 Oct 2017, 9:13 am

Bit of a grey area really, you can ask the authorities all you like but they give out purposely ambiguous statements without actually answering the question, ensure its 100% state forest with an un questionable back stop is my advice, never had a problem myself, even better if you have a 4x4 to get deep into the bush, .22 hardly make any noise out there anyway,
Certified part time hillbilly
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by southeast varmiter » 15 Oct 2017, 10:44 am

As long as you abide by safety and legal parameters then any state forest is fine.
There is no grey area.
You are free to legally use any public land for this as long as you follow the basic rules.
southeast varmiter
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 15 Oct 2017, 3:24 pm

Shooter wrote:Hi guys my wife and i have just got our licenses and purchased a cz .22 and an Adler 110 we live out towards phillip island and were wondering where we could go and just set up some targets and have a bit of a plink is this something you can do in state forest?
Regards
Shooter

I would look for a farm close to where you are. Are you involved in any clubs where you could ask about farmers?
The golf course in Cowes is awash with rabbits ;-)
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Kenny » 16 Oct 2017, 5:43 pm

For Victoria, I checked with the Police, Licensing and Regulation division for plinking. Make sure I wouldn't get in trouble and have my guns taken..
They specifically stated that plinking is not allowed in State Forest, only hunting or to sight in..

That said.. I do a lot of dirt bike riding and have come across Rangers out in the bush that said to be careful in a particular area, as guys have camped up and spend the day shooting.. So yeah, that grey area....
Kenny
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Wombat » 16 Oct 2017, 6:24 pm

sungazer wrote:If you want a relaxed cheap plink the Sheparton SSAA range is the place to go.

Not exactly close to them though. Lang Lang rifle range is close though.I've never been there so I know nothing about it.
Check out the forest explorer maps, find a suitable spot in state forest and dont be an idiot and you'll be alright.Try not to annoy anyone, remove your rubbish and do not use living trees as a target or backstop. Check google earth or satellite view on google maps to see where houses are. Do not rely on google maps to identify state forest.
Wombat
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 16 Oct 2017, 6:45 pm

Wombat wrote:
sungazer wrote:...remove your rubbish...

Including your brass and hulls.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by No1Mk3 » 16 Oct 2017, 6:45 pm

G'day Wombat,
Lang Lang is a VRA range, no "plinking" permitted, the same applies to Grantville, Cheers.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by cracker » 16 Oct 2017, 8:53 pm

bladeracer wrote:
Wombat wrote:
sungazer wrote:...remove your rubbish...

Including your brass and hulls.

couldnt agree more pick up your s**t!
how ever some times find interesting spent casings 45colt for one? guessing from some sort of lever gun
cracker
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 17 Oct 2017, 2:01 pm

sungazer wrote:Only issue with Lang Lang is it is not a shooting gallery. It is a VRA rifle range I am sure you would be welcomed as a visitor if you looked like you had potential as a member. But they dont plink you will shoot a range which is two sighters (optional) and then 10 for score. Perhaps twice thats it.

How do members improve their skills by practicing - they go to another range for that?
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by AusTac » 17 Oct 2017, 2:15 pm

bladeracer wrote:
sungazer wrote:Only issue with Lang Lang is it is not a shooting gallery. It is a VRA rifle range I am sure you would be welcomed as a visitor if you looked like you had potential as a member. But they dont plink you will shoot a range which is two sighters (optional) and then 10 for score. Perhaps twice thats it.

How do members improve their skills by practicing - they go to another range for that?

They're gods gift to the shooting sports and don't need practice
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by bladeracer » 17 Oct 2017, 2:40 pm

sungazer wrote:Of coarse they practice but it is in a bit more formal way, shooting at the target like I mentioned with 10 scoring shots to count. Then it is normally one or two more of those sessions and that is it. Also normally at a predefined distances for the day.

I think of plinking more like that hickokcs you tube video. A bit here a bit there a lot at 100yrd sort of thing.

What an absolute waste of a rifle range.
These wankers should be using this resource to bring more people into the sport, let alone support those that already are shooters.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by juststarting » 17 Oct 2017, 3:05 pm

bladeracer wrote:
sungazer wrote:Of coarse they practice but it is in a bit more formal way, shooting at the target like I mentioned with 10 scoring shots to count. Then it is normally one or two more of those sessions and that is it. Also normally at a predefined distances for the day.

I think of plinking more like that hickokcs you tube video. A bit here a bit there a lot at 100yrd sort of thing.

What an absolute waste of a rifle range.
These wankers should be using this resource to bring more people into the sport, let alone support those that already are shooters.

Yep.
---
https://reloadingstudio.com
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by Wombat » 17 Oct 2017, 6:08 pm

Shame about Lang Lang. I guess it is their club to do with as they wish. Maybe they have noise or other issues and dont want to push things.
Wombat
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by AusTac » 17 Oct 2017, 8:00 pm

sungazer wrote:The ranges are run for competition not for profit Although Lang Lang has electronic targets it could not afford to have anyone hit the frames of the target as the sensors cost big $. So the alternative is have markers in the buts pushing and pulling targets up and down. Are you going to volunteer your time to do that? If not they have to pay someone to do that job, someone to be a range officer, someone to be a butts officer and an administration person. Can you see the range / club making any money.
If you want to change things join the club get on the committee and put your ideas and business plans forward for the future. Its easy to sit back and criticize others how they do things.

This is exactly the reason why i just go out the bush for a shoot :lol: to many cheifs trying to line pockets in my opinion, but hey, target shooting is some peoples thing and i can respect that, we're all friends here.
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by bladeracer » 17 Oct 2017, 9:07 pm

sungazer wrote:The ranges are run for competition not for profit Although Lang Lang has electronic targets it could not afford to have anyone hit the frames of the target as the sensors cost big $. So the alternative is have markers in the buts pushing and pulling targets up and down. Are you going to volunteer your time to do that? If not they have to pay someone to do that job, someone to be a range officer, someone to be a butts officer and an administration person. Can you see the range / club making any money.
If you want to change things join the club get on the committee and put your ideas and business plans forward for the future. Its easy to sit back and criticize others how they do things.

I'm sure that plenty of local shooters would happily contribute in exchange for being able to use the facilities, probably even more than the current members contribute if they're only shooting a couple-dozen rounds a month.
I can certainly see them making money out of allowing hundreds of local shooters to use the facilities. They wouldn't even have to shoot at electronic targets, most people are perfectly content to shoot paper. Even if they only open a 50m or 100m range I'm sure people like the OP of this thread would love to get down there for a day's shooting.

I put 250rds through my brother's Anschutz this arvo here, but I'd love to have access to a range within 30 minutes drive or so.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Return to Centerfire rifles