Howa Aussie Precision Chassis

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Howa Aussie Precision Chassis

Post by scaredyet » 17 Oct 2017, 7:54 am

I Just put a deposit down on a Howa Aussie Precision Chassis in 26" 6.5 Creedmoore Threaded Barrel.

I had a play with it yesterday and was impressed and it was a really nice looking rifle very light, albeit without a scope and a very nice build to it.

I was looking at the Tikka TAC A1 but couldn't justify the high price so I went with one of these for $1300.

This will be my long range target rifle one day if I ever get time to shoot.

The rifle is available with a scope package in the states which is the Nikko Stirling Diamond 4-16×50 but don't think it's available in Australia.

I'm now looking for a decent budget scope or even the Nikko Stirling ione in the package if anyone knows where I can get one from.

http://www.sportingshooter.com.au/rifle ... ssis-rifle

https://www.legacysports.com/catalog/ho ... sis-rifle/

https://youtu.be/0ViQcPQZpK4

https://youtu.be/2XgqdmSIeeM
scaredyet
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Re: Howa Aussie Precision Chassis

Post by Cooper » 17 Oct 2017, 12:20 pm

I bought a 26 inch Howa 6.5 creedmoor GRS package for $1099. Very happy with it. I just put a Bushnell AR223 4.5X18 on it at moment. But will probably upgrade to a Vortex Viper soon. Thinking 6x24 PST. Even if you spend a bit over a grand on a scope. :D Your still in front when you compare it to the price of a Tikka TAC A1. :allegedly:
Cooper
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by scaredyet » 17 Oct 2017, 12:57 pm

I actually asked what the difference of the Tikka TAC was and the guy said it had a case a bipod a muzzle break aetc and then I asked if you take away all the extras of the TAC what's the difference then, I was trying to ask if there was a major difference with the two rifles in terms of quality and accuracy and the guy said he didn't understand the question and just said the Tikka was better.

I might no F all about guns but I'm sure the Tikka is not worth the extra $1800
scaredyet
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Rikta » 17 Oct 2017, 5:54 pm

personal taste I think the HCR looks nicer, but its a howa and will shoot straight and smooth

Rem .270
Howa .223
Ruger 22lr
Lanber 12g
Rossi 410g
Rikta
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Chronos » 17 Oct 2017, 6:16 pm

You'll have to modify the Pic rail. unlike the pictured the rail hits the hand guard/heat shield so you'll have to grind metal from the rail . Also you'll never get a scope as low as pictured

Chronos

Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by Mr.Seacucumber » 18 Oct 2017, 9:31 am

I'd get one if it didn't use those stupid bloody OEM magazines. Needs to take AICS mags if it's in a chassis IMHO
Mr.Seacucumber
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Miniaction » 18 Oct 2017, 9:58 am

Mr.Seacucumber wrote:I'd get one if it didn't use those stupid bloody OEM magazines. Needs to take AICS mags if it's in a chassis IMHO

My thoughts exactly. I'll be looking into one of these soon and the HCR has the edge because of that
Miniaction
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 28 Oct 2017, 4:39 pm

sungazer wrote:Can someone just clarify what is being compared here. Does one chassis take the AICS mags if so which one? The Howas certainly have the right price to get you hooked if your undecided about trying something out.

MDT chassis take the AICS mags, but not for the Mini Howa.
https://mdttac.ca/products/lss-chassis-system?variant=43806463759
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Pythonkeeper » 10 Nov 2017, 3:17 pm

Shooting Stuff Australia boys just did a YouTube review on this rifle for those of you who are interested..
Pythonkeeper
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by scaredyet » 10 Nov 2017, 3:44 pm

I was hoping Ozzie did one first but at least there's a review out now. I'm hoping to pick mine up and do some range time next week ;)

https://youtu.be/s7gJooSVdQw
scaredyet
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by BBJ » 13 Nov 2017, 12:52 pm

Rikta wrote:personal taste I think the HCR looks nicer, but its a howa and will shoot straight and smooth

It does look nice.

Does make you look like you've been playing Call Of Duty a bit too much though :lol:
Weatherby Vanguard .223 Remington
Tikka T3 Varmint Stainless .243 Winchester
R.I.P. M1 Garand .30-06 Springfield

Leupold VX-R 4-12x40
BBJ
Corporal
Corporal

Northern Territory

Post by brett1868 » 13 Nov 2017, 9:19 pm

Scaredyet,
Pleasure meeting you tonight and we should organise a time for you to drop round my place and I'll get that scope mounted properly for you.

As an FYI
Barrel twist is 1:8 so it will like the heavier projectiles, the 130's were better then the 120's but it should tighten up a bit more with the 147gr Hornady ELD-M ammunition. I will be doing some load development for the 6.5 Creedmoor, once done we can see how it performs in the Howa compared to the Tikka. If / when you start reloading you'll have a winning load already worked out. How did you go after Pommemax and I left? It's a nice shooting rifle and should give you years of shooting pleasure.

I found a pic on how to adjust the length of pull as it's way short for me and massively short for you.
https://www.legacysports.com/wp-content/uploads/Instruction_Card_MBA-3_4_4.25inx5.5in-h_Legacy_pg2.jpg

Howa Barrel Break-in procedure....This is a highly contentious subject but the important thing is to not over heat the barrel during maybe the first 50 rounds. As for cleaning, I'll only recommend that you give it a proper clean after each session and leaving a coat of oil in the barrel before storing.
https://www.legacysports.com/wp-content/uploads/howa-break-in.pdf
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by scaredyet » 13 Nov 2017, 10:20 pm

Hey Brett, it was nice to meet you and learn from your wealth of knowledge.

It's a shame it took 1.5hrs to put the rifle and scope together at the store and even worse was the way the scope was mounted but at least it was the right way up, hehehe.(The store I purchased it from did a butcher job on the installation)

It was also good to meet Pommemax as well, he's as mad as a cut snake.

I'll have a play with a bit more different loads and get more familiar with the firearm and shooting the thing

Thanks for the info on the length of pull as well as barrel break-in I'll look I to it.

So the firearms have to be clean after each session, I just put it into the safe
Last edited by scaredyet on 14 Nov 2017, 7:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
scaredyet
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by pomemax » 13 Nov 2017, 11:17 pm

It sorta depends what you going to do with it if your storing it or shooting in the next couple of days and how many you have put downrange as I said minimum the bore snake as it goes in the safe
yer thought it should be Adjustable length of pull.
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by wolfsburg » 30 Nov 2017, 7:58 am

g day,

Did anyone end up getting one of these? LGS quoted me a pretty good price..
Hmm 308 or Creedmoor?
wolfsburg
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 05 Dec 2017, 12:34 pm

sungazer wrote:Ive been looking at the MDT Chassis and it appears from what I can see that the models for the Howa dont take the AI mags but need a MDT mag. Does anyone have any other Chassis options for the Howa 1500 that takes AI mags? or if I have it wrong point me in the right direction.

What price and from where? I cant seem to find any available.

Not sure, but the MDT mag is an AICS mag as far as I'm aware.

I checked the site and it looks like they're saying that only their MDT AICS poly mag will work with the Howa action, other manufacturer's AICS mags won't - at least that's how I read it. You could message them on Facebook, they're usually responsive.
https://mdttac.com/products/lss-chassis-system
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by deye243 » 08 Jan 2019, 11:25 pm

Soooooo how does it shoot ?
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Return to Centerfire rifles