Disaster strikes...

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Disaster strikes...

Post by Dunxy » 24 Oct 2017, 5:31 pm

Well im literally :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: x 1000 right now.
Last week I picked up a 90-95% condition all original mm410b Mauser .22 from the 1930's and yesterday a lovely vintage Pecar to go on it. Put rifle on bag and front rest on a bench and did a test placement for scope, was fauling rear sight so popped it of and just as i turned to put it behind me the rifle took a dive 1.5m onto concrete and she was none to pleased about that...

upload photo

Im so angry at myself for allowing this to happen :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

I do have SSAA firearms insurance, has anybody made a claim?

I dont even know what happens and I wont know until tomorrow when office opens.AFAIK these things are pretty damn rare and i feel original replacement stock and butplate unobtanium.
Im concerned even if they pay me out as i suspect I wont find one in the condition this one was prior to me destroying it with my stupidity.

ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
Not enough characters!
Dunxy
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Re: Disaster strikes...

Post by Daddybang » 24 Oct 2017, 5:43 pm

Nothing a bit of tie wire and duct tape won't fix :D can ya reshape the stock and trim the butt plate? :drinks:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Gwion » 24 Oct 2017, 6:29 pm

The stock itself shoukd be able to be brought back to an unnoticeable repair by someone with thed right skills. The buttplate is another matter. Really bad luck, mate. Hope you find something. Try contacting Mauser directly; you'd be surprised how far some companies will go for a rare old example ofc their product.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Oldbloke » 24 Oct 2017, 6:39 pm

Gwion wrote:The stock itself shoukd be able to be brought back to an unnoticeable repair by someone with thed right skills. The buttplate is another matter. Really bad luck, mate. Hope you find something. Try contacting Mauser directly; you'd be surprised how far some companies will go for a rare old example ofc their product.

Agree +1
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by on_one_wheel » 24 Oct 2017, 6:40 pm

Gwion wrote:The stock itself shoukd be able to be brought back to an unnoticeable repair by someone with thed right skills. The buttplate is another matter. Really bad luck, mate. Hope you find something. Try contacting Mauser directly; you'd be surprised how far some companies will go for a rare old example ofc their product.

+2

I reckon you'll be able to find anothe but plate and have it looking good again.

Also keep your eye out for a complete stock.

There are plenty of Facebook pages that are firearm make and even model specific.
It may pay to search for Mauser groups and pages on there and ask around to see who's got what. :thumbsup:
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by darwindingo » 24 Oct 2017, 6:43 pm

Ouch ! :shock:

Punishment 100 lashes :twisted:

Cant guarantee anything but I know someone who gets hold of a lot of stocks from destroyed guns, I will ask him to keep his eye out for a replacement for you. He gets some complete stocks and loads that have been cut up but still have the but plates on them..

:drinks:
“Accidental Discharges” DO NOT OCCUR !!

An "Unintended Discharge" is nothing more than the lack of appropriate safety procedures or the failure to follow them..!

I love my country, but fear my government.
darwindingo
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by on_one_wheel » 24 Oct 2017, 6:46 pm

Oh ... and let us know how you go when you get in contact with SSAA insurance.

I'dbe interested to hear how much excess you will need to pay and if it's covered for that type of accident.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Member-Deleted » 24 Oct 2017, 7:06 pm

GEEEZUS Dunxy you don't do things by halves mate :(
It's hard to see but looks like you could possibly pour some glue into the cracked stock and clamp it down tight
and it could possibly be enough to bring it back but I can't see the other side :unknown:
Bloody shame mate when things like that happen you feel so miserable for a few days :cry:
Hope all goes well when fixing it :thumbsup:

CHEERS
Member-Deleted

Post by Oldbloke » 24 Oct 2017, 7:10 pm

on_one_wheel wrote:Oh ... and let us know how you go when you get in contact with SSAA insurance.

I'dbe interested to hear how much excess you will need to pay and if it's covered for that type of accident.

Yes, that will be interesting.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Dunxy » 24 Oct 2017, 7:58 pm

Im to busy salking right now to think straight, but i just submitted a claim via email, will update when anything develops.Excess is fixed at $100 and covers accidental damage at home as far as i can gather from their information.
Not enough characters!
Dunxy
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by marksman » 25 Oct 2017, 10:37 am

really bad luck Dunxy
if the insurance comes through I wouldn't go for a fix I would be trying to get another stock with but plate as even with a good fix it is always going to be repaired stock and maybe someone could chime in on where to look for another, if I come across anything I will let you know
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Dunxy » 25 Oct 2017, 2:48 pm

Yeah Im really not leaning towards the idea of repair, everything is going to depend on what happens with insurance. Ive put the claim in and indicated that I want it written of so to speak because it will never be "original" again, even if nobody can tell , i will know! If they found me a mint original stock and buttplate , id probably live with it, only because I love the rifle so much!
Im still very angry at myself, I really love this lil old .22 and am ashamed for letting this occur. Seriously wouldn't have cared (well, maybe just a little!) if it was any other rifle.So lucky i took out insurance only last week the day I picked up the rifle! Also luckily I took plenty of pictures prior to in hitting the ground to prove its original condition to insurer so Im confident.
Not enough characters!
Dunxy
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by fenderstrat » 13 Nov 2017, 5:04 pm

Dunxy wrote:Yeah Im really not leaning towards the idea of repair, everything is going to depend on what happens with insurance. Ive put the claim in and indicated that I want it written of so to speak because it will never be "original" again, even if nobody can tell , i will know! If they found me a mint original stock and buttplate , id probably live with it, only because I love the rifle so much!
Im still very angry at myself, I really love this lil old .22 and am ashamed for letting this occur. Seriously wouldn't have cared (well, maybe just a little!) if it was any other rifle.So lucky i took out insurance only last week the day I picked up the rifle! Also luckily I took plenty of pictures prior to in hitting the ground to prove its original condition to insurer so Im confident.

Hey mate, any chance we could get an update on this? I'm curious to see how it went with the SSAA insurance thing
fenderstrat
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by marksman » 13 Nov 2017, 7:33 pm

fenderstrat wrote:Hey mate, any chance we could get an update on this? I'm curious to see how it went with the SSAA insurance thing

+1
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by BBJ » 15 Nov 2017, 1:51 pm

Fingers crossed mate. She'd be pretty if you get her fixed up.
Weatherby Vanguard .223 Remington
Tikka T3 Varmint Stainless .243 Winchester
R.I.P. M1 Garand .30-06 Springfield

Leupold VX-R 4-12x40
BBJ
Corporal
Corporal

Northern Territory

Post by Dunxy » 17 Nov 2017, 11:34 am

I have an update on this situation, i received email basically approving claim this week and have sent the little Mauser to their nominated dealer for evaluation/repair etc, which is also Mauser dealer and supposedly have some .22 stocks on hand(hopefully with original matching buttplates), so i dare say I will see her back in A1 condition with possibly financial adjustment if devalued as a result, either way im more than happy for the service so far, well worth $25 premium + $100 excess.
Not enough characters!
Dunxy
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by marksman » 17 Nov 2017, 12:09 pm

good to hear Dunxy :thumbsup:
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by RoginaJack » 17 Nov 2017, 2:47 pm

"with possibly financial adjustment if devalued as a result....", please explain because after all, you dropped it? :shock:
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Bent Arrow » 17 Nov 2017, 5:39 pm

RoginaJack wrote:"with possibly financial adjustment if devalued as a result....", please explain because after all, you dropped it? :shock:

I'm not sure what you mean by this. An item that was in good condition with a nominal market value was accidentally damaged and may not be able to be repaired to the pre-existing condition and value. Hence, the insurer may pay a financial adjustment to offset the loss in value........ If you had an accident in your car, and the repairs couldn't be done to a standard that returned the vehicle to a standard and value equivalent to the pre-existing condition, would you be happy, or expect (1) the repairs to be done properly (2) the vehicle to be written off as a total loss, or (3) some financial adjustment?
Bent Arrow
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

South Australia

Post by Homer » 18 Nov 2017, 9:05 am

D'oh!

Doh!
Homer
Homer
Corporal
Corporal

Australian Capital Territory

Post by RoginaJack » 18 Nov 2017, 10:48 am

I don't feel that Motor Vehicles are a good example in this case, due to M.V. depression rates or insured "at market value".

I imagine that repairs may be offered or if the firearm be deemed beyond repair, be written off and then becomes the property of the Insurance company.

It's just that I haven't come across "with possibly financial adjustment if devalued as a result..." clause.

That's the only reason why I was asking, possibly I didn't put in too clear.

Anyway hope it all works out to your satisfaction.
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Return to Centerfire rifles