How long do you keep the spring cocked on your centrefire

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

How long do you keep the spring cocked on your centrefire

Post by disko » 19 Dec 2013, 9:27 am

Morning guys,

After some opinions on this.

I know some people are real particular about their bolts/springs and what you can and can't do with them.

Do or don't dry fire them and the rest.

What do you guys think about how long a bolt should be cocked for though?

If you're walking around for the day with rifle in hand waiting for game to spring out, is it reasonable to keep the spring cocked for... minutes? an hour? 2 or 3 hours? longer?

When do you get to the point of potentially causing some spring wear?

What do you think...
Meopta Meopro 4-12x50mm on Fluted Howa Sporter.
.308 Winchester.
disko
Private
Private

Victoria

Re: How long do you keep the spring cocked on your centrefir

Post by Chronos » 19 Dec 2013, 9:38 am

Hey disko,

IMHO springs can fatigue and change pressure with time but mostly through being repeatedly cycled.

Firing pin springs have lots of coils but their travel from cocked to de cocked is quite short so is be surprised if you could measure any change in pressure over say 10,000 cycles let alone being stored cocked.

I have Lowey bolt tubes for my anschutz and Remington bolts, they decock the bolt fitted but mostly I store the bolts in the rifle, decocked on an empty chamber

Hope that helps,

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by RealNick » 19 Dec 2013, 9:43 am

I can't think of who off the top of my head, but I know a few rifle makers ship their rifles with the bolts out (cocked) and in the box. Someone else will know.

So they're cocked for weeks at least, more likely months.

Doesn't seem to be a concern obviously...
RealNick
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Bourt » 19 Dec 2013, 9:47 am

Ruger ship rifles with the bolts out and cocked.

Don't know about others.
Bourt
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Broom » 19 Dec 2013, 10:14 am

disko wrote:If you're walking around for the day with rifle in hand waiting for game to spring out, is it reasonable to keep the spring cocked for... minutes? an hour? 2 or 3 hours? longer?

Not to be "that guy" and give the safety lecture, but I'd rethink your hunting practices if you're walking around with a cocked rifles for hours without taking a shot.

I'm sure you're using the safety and being sensible and so on, but s**t happens.

It only takes a second to cycle a round.

Anyway, lecture over. Just my 2c.
Ruger Gunsite Scout in three oh eight. Oh yeah!
Broom
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Tasmania

Post by Carter » 19 Dec 2013, 1:20 pm

I usually just want around with the rifle cycled so a cartridge is in the chamber, but the bolt hand is up.

That was I only have to drop the bolt handle to take a shot, and don't have to worry about accidental discharge if the safety gets caught and goes hot.

Pretty hard to accidentally close the bolt fully and not notice...
Carter
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Lorgar » 28 Dec 2013, 2:39 pm

Bourt wrote:Ruger ship rifles with the bolts out and cocked.

Don't know about others.

I'm a bit late to the party on this, but Anschutz do as well.

Picked up my new 22LR which shipped with the cocked bolt.
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by disko » 28 Dec 2013, 2:42 pm

Broom wrote:Not to be "that guy" and give the safety lecture, but I'd rethink your hunting practices if you're walking around with a cocked rifles for hours without taking a shot.

I'm sure you're using the safety and being sensible and so on, but s**t happens.

I appreciate the concern. I was just using it as example though, I don't want around for hours with a cocked loaded rifle swinging around on the shoulder ;)
.308 Winchester.
disko
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by Bourt » 28 Dec 2013, 5:32 pm

RealNick wrote:So they're cocked for weeks at least, more likely months.

Months at least.

By the time they're made in the US, stored, sold to an Aus distributor, shipped to Aus, sold to a store for stock, sold to the customer... Easy a few months for most I'm sure.
Bourt
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Gregg » 28 Dec 2013, 5:43 pm

I think spring wear is the absolute last thing you'll ever need to worry about on your rifles.
Howa 1500 .270 WInchester
Savage Model 10/110 Predator .204 Ruger
Gregg
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by on_one_wheel » 28 Dec 2013, 6:16 pm

Broom wrote:
disko wrote:If you're walking around for the day with rifle in hand waiting for game to spring out, is it reasonable to keep the spring cocked for... minutes? an hour? 2 or 3 hours? longer?

Not to be "that guy" and give the safety lecture, but I'd rethink your hunting practices if you're walking around with a cocked rifles for hours without taking a shot.

It only takes a second to cycle a round.

Anyway, lecture over. Just my 2c.

I'm the same... If I dont take the shot and dont expect to see anything again within a minute or the next 50 mtrs aprox, ill cycle the round and pt it back in the mag. Its not good practice to walk around with one up the spout, but my spring is the last of my worries.... they still make those.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Harper » 28 Dec 2013, 7:01 pm

on_one_wheel wrote:I'm the same... If I dont take the shot and dont expect to see anything again within a minute or the next 50 mtrs aprox, ill cycle the round and pt it back in the mag. Its not good practice to walk around with one up the spout, but my spring is the last of my worries.... they still make those.

Ditto.

Nothing in the pipe, bolt the bolt raise and cocked.

That way I just have to slight it back and forth and I'm ready to fire.
Savage 14/114 American Classic 30-06 Springfield
Savage Axis 25-06 Remington
Harper
Corporal
Corporal

Northern Territory

Post by disko » 21 Feb 2014, 2:02 pm

Thanks for responses everyone.

As said, not asking due to walking around for hours with a hot rifle.

Normally if I'm on the move I'll have the bolt up and waiting there, then it's just a matter of back and forward to put one in the pipe.

Just thinking of wear over time from leaving action open in the safe, or cleaning or whatever along those lines. Just wondering if the hours add up to anything negative over time.

Seems everyone ships them with cocks bolts though which probably add up to months as said. Not a concern now obviously.
.308 Winchester.
disko
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by zobster » 13 Aug 2015, 8:53 am

HI guys, didn't want to start a new thread so I'll post in the most closely related thread here.

Due to lack of space in my safe, I have decided to remove my bolts from my rifle in order to fit them all in the safe.

Instead of buying a bolt protector, I'm a tight arse, How do I release the spring after I remove the bolt?

I know the argument that they get shipped with the spring in tension anyway, that should be the last of my worries etc etc

However, I firmly believe that if they are kept under tension they would not last as long.
zobster
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Tasmania

Post by Title_II » 13 Aug 2015, 9:17 am

I have ARs that have spent years cocked. Those are hammer fired and at least one is ready to go for home defense.

My Glock has spent 7 years cocked so far, that is striker fired. Also must always be ready to go since it is a carry gun.
Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by brett1868 » 13 Aug 2015, 9:17 am

Stored under tension isn't an issue and they'll last longer then we're likely to be alive. Shotguns are almost always stored in the cocked state and 50+ year later can still strike the primer perfectly. The other issue is that some rifle bolts are easier than others to de-cock, Sako are probably the easiest I've come across and they supply a nice little plastic tool to aid in the process. DTA have to be one of the most evil, I had to make a tool to do them and have a permanent scar on my knuckles from trying to put the HTI bolt back together. I'd say if it's simple to de-cock and store them separate from the rifle then do that. If you store them in the rifle then de-cock them by all means, otherwise don't lose any sleep over it.
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by RoginaJack » 13 Aug 2015, 12:07 pm

Morning Chronos. if ever you come across bolt tubes that are built for Left Handed bolts, let me know would you; I'm after them for a Tikka.

Cheers,
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Chronos » 13 Aug 2015, 4:02 pm

RoginaJack wrote:Morning Chronos. if ever you come across bolt tubes that are built for Left Handed bolts, let me know would you; I'm after them for a Tikka.

Cheers,

Will do mate.

Have you checked with Lowey?

Have you thought about just leaving the bolt in the rifle and pulling the trigger :lol:

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by pajamatime » 14 Aug 2015, 11:08 am

Title_II wrote:I have ARs that have spent years cocked. Those are hammer fired and at least one is ready to go for home defense.

My Glock has spent 7 years cocked so far, that is striker fired. Also must always be ready to go since it is a carry gun.

I actually firmly believe its mostly hype and that any "decay" of the "spring" is minimal at best.
With that said I always read the manual and if it says to do something then I do it for that individual firearms...who ever engineered the firearm in the first place surely knows more about the spring then I do type mentality lol.

with that said so far only one manual says anything close to tension or spring related say so and that is a manual for one of my OU break action shotguns.
Have not found any of my other firearms manuals to contain such information.
The Prudent see the evil and hide but the Naive keep going and are punished for it
pajamatime
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by RoginaJack » 14 Aug 2015, 3:15 pm

Chronos wrote:
RoginaJack wrote:Morning Chronos. if ever you come across bolt tubes that are built for Left Handed bolts, let me know would you; I'm after them for a Tikka.

Cheers,

Will do mate.

Have you checked with Lowey?

Have you thought about just leaving the bolt in the rifle and pulling the trigger :lol:

Chronos

Yes and apparently, they are not made for 'left handed" bolts despite requests to do so.

:lol: yes, but here in Qld. firearms must be stored with the bolt removed or action broken (opened) :thumbsup:

cheers,
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by on_one_wheel » 14 Aug 2015, 5:35 pm

The valve spring in your car's engine are under constant heavy preload and they last a blody long time.
The same can be said for the suspension in your car and maxi brakes in trucks.
I have my doubts that leaving your rifle bolt in the cocked position will have any ill affects.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Gun Nut Gordo » 14 Aug 2015, 7:00 pm

lets be honest very few people decock the bolt when storing the rifle so it's essentially in the cocked position all the time, so I wouldn't worry too much about it if you have it at the ready when hunting
Gun Nut Gordo
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 14 Aug 2015, 7:26 pm

right....

Materials have an elastic and plastic limit, the point where they cease behaving in that manner.
Plastic = deformation is permanent, you deform or bend and it doesnt quite go all the way back
Elastic = deformation is temporary, bend a little and it return back as original.

Springs deform elastically up to a point then they behave plastic(ally)..... in the normal movement of firing pin spring.... you will never reach the elastic limit so therefore, IMHO, cocked or not - dontworryboutit... How many shotguns have sat in safes for literally decades without deterioration, lots!, of course some pedants will advise you to decock..... its up to you :thumbsup:

Rifles can easily be de-cocked though, by holding the trigger while closing the bolt, whether for storage or walking around during the hunt (though tension remains in the spring)... now a 'safe' firearm is an unloaded firearm, but I'm quite happy to walk around on a loaded chamber/decocked.....

Various rifles can even be easily cocked without lifting the bolt eg Enfields AND Mausers, but you'll need to dis-mount the bayo for the Mauser re-cock!! :D ;) old skool is cool!
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by ChicagoTed » 14 Aug 2015, 9:57 pm

as long as you have a decent gun i wouldn't worry about it
mossberg 500
mosin 91/30
ar15 frankengun
glock 22 gen 4
ChicagoTed
Recruit
Recruit

United States of America

Post by headspace » 14 Aug 2015, 10:15 pm

I reckon it's a reasonable question and have wondered the same myself at times, but there are plenty of examples of bolts left cocked when they are out of the rifle, so I don't consider it a problem. As far as hunting with a cocked rifle, I never put any faith in a safety catch. They may as well not exist on my rifles because I never use them. If I think A shot may be close I'll put a round in the chamber and walk with the bolt completely up. It's safer than a safety catch and quietly dropping the bolt handle is often quieter than the click of a safety. Safety's have been known to fail.
JD
If it's not wood and blued steel, it's not one of mine
headspace
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by brett1868 » 14 Aug 2015, 10:58 pm

@Genesis93

De cocked on a loaded chamber is an accident waiting to happen because the firing pin is effectively rubbing against the primer. A sharp blow or a drop could be enough to set it off, de cock on an empty chamber only.
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Browning » 14 Aug 2015, 10:58 pm

Crikey. I leave the spring tensioned in the safe all time...
I know about it but doesn't phase me at all.. Wouldn't worry about a few hours walking....
Be more worried about having a clean barrel or something really important like... Is the beer cold
Browning
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by sandgroperbill » 15 Aug 2015, 1:30 am

I have a cousin who had a marlin .22 and a brother with a savage .17hmr. Both their springs went soft and wouldn't give a proper strike. Both had to have the springs replaced. Having said that, the springs in my brothers magazines were all weak, too, so i think it mostly comes down to the quality of the springs. All the other shotguns and rifles are fine, and some are 100 years old.

If a spring does go soft while sitting in the safe, my opinion is that itwas going to happen regardless. Take it to a smith and have it replaced with a good quality, strong spring.
sandgroperbill
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by Title_II » 15 Aug 2015, 1:38 am

headspace wrote:I reckon it's a reasonable question and have wondered the same myself at times, but there are plenty of examples of bolts left cocked when they are out of the rifle, so I don't consider it a problem. As far as hunting with a cocked rifle, I never put any faith in a safety catch. They may as well not exist on my rifles because I never use them. If I think A shot may be close I'll put a round in the chamber and walk with the bolt completely up. It's safer than a safety catch and quietly dropping the bolt handle is often quieter than the click of a safety. Safety's have been known to fail.
JD

I don't hunt but whenever I've wandered around with an AR-15 (in America) on the lands or very rarely in public, I have it cleared, cocked, safety on, and loaded mag inserted (no rounds chambered). I don't like carrying any firearm chambered that doesn't have a holster to cover the trigger, unless I am expecting to use it in short order.
Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by RealNick » 17 Aug 2015, 4:02 pm

headspace wrote:I reckon it's a reasonable question and have wondered the same myself at times, but there are plenty of examples of bolts left cocked when they are out of the rifle, so I don't consider it a problem.

Everything I can think of comes with the bolt cocked in the box when you get it from the dealer.

?
RealNick
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Next

Return to Centerfire rifles