Recoil, Felt,Perceived or...

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Recoil, Felt,Perceived or...

Post by Dunxy » 25 Oct 2017, 3:05 pm

Well as most know im a new shooter, so up until a few weeks ago id never even shot any centrefire.

First time I shot my Swede i put 8 rounds through it in about 2 minutes, prone with bags and was no pain.

Second time shooting it was at range, from bench with front rest and rear bag, dont know if I got slapped bad first shot or what but she hurt most shots, which kind of puzzled me!

A week later I drag an experienced mate to range with me with a selection of calibers to play with from his safe.First cab of the rank was a 270 (m70 or something) hed always claimed it kicked pretty hard, he took 2 or 3 shots then said "thats enough" and it was my turn, i put 2 box's through it no dramas! He wouldn't even shoot his 303, I put at least a box through that as well and even with metal butt plate, found it nicer to shoot than my m96.

Do you guys thin you develop a tolerance to recoil?

Or it it more maybe improved technique reducing "perceived" recoil?

My mate hasnt shot anything other than air rifles for 10 years ish, is he un-conditioned or just a sook?

I always thought shooting prone was supposed to be the most punishing so ive been puzzled why i seem to be getting beat up so much shooting from the bench? I try discussing it with my mate, who can be a bit tardo sometimes and he just says "Its gun magic, don't try to figure it out!" but i dont believe in magic, just physics!
Not enough characters!
Dunxy
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Re: Recoil, Felt,Perceived or...

Post by marksman » 25 Oct 2017, 3:38 pm

improved technique, shooting off a bench, firearm weight and stock shape all comes into it
I have found that females are easier to teach to shoot as they just seem to roll with recoil so they are easier to teach to shoot better but blokes will have a death hold and stiffen up that much trying so hard to manly control the recoil that they cant just go with it (if that's a good way to try explain it) I have found in bigger kickers that I have shot the rifles seem to push you not a sharp kick and although I do believe in holding that forearm and having the stock tight into your shoulder you are better to relax while squeezing the trigger,
I could go on and on about technique and the best stock shape ect.. but IMO if you can benefit more to learn to roll with the recoil to start with
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Daddybang » 25 Oct 2017, 3:42 pm

marksman wrote:improved technique, shooting off a bench, firearm weight and stock shape all comes into it
I have found that females are easier to teach to shoot as they just seem to roll with recoil so they are easier to teach to shoot better but blokes will have a death hold and stiffen up that much trying so hard to manly control the recoil that they cant just go with it (if that's a good way to try explain it) I have found in bigger kickers that I have shot the rifles seem to push you not a sharp kick and although I do believe in holding that forearm and having the stock tight into your shoulder you are better to relax while squeezing the trigger,
I could go on and on about technique and the best stock shape ect.. but IMO if you can benefit more to learn to roll with the recoil to start with

+one :drinks:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Supaduke » 25 Oct 2017, 5:47 pm

Recoil tolerance begins in the testicular region. Then, as mentioned, it's about technique. I think some guys just psych themselves out before they even pull the trigger. The only way to develop better technique is to put rounds down range.
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by sungazer » 25 Oct 2017, 6:06 pm

Also how the rifle is held makes a big difference. There are quite a few who put the butt on there shoulder or even bicep.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by deanp100 » 25 Oct 2017, 7:09 pm

Some people react diiferently to noise, shock and impact. The sooks who can't handle recoil might be able to skydive while laughing, while you snivel in the back of the plane. The recoil shy guy might be the one who rushes the machine gun post.
deanp100
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by darwindingo » 25 Oct 2017, 7:47 pm

Supaduke wrote:Recoil tolerance begins in the testicular region. Then, as mentioned, it's about technique. I think some guys just psych themselves out before they even pull the trigger. The only way to develop better technique is to put rounds down range.

Technique is certainly a significant factor imo and plenty of trigger time is the way to develop that, but It does seem to be different for everyone, I've seen some "big tough blokes" that would close their eyes as pulling the trigger in anticipation and some petite little chicks that don't seem to be phased at all (looking forward to it if anything). I do believe that even those that struggle with it can build a tolerance with enough trigger time. Its not something to be ashamed of, just something to work on..

The first experience shooting my wife had was a .458 with 500gn'ers didn't bother her at all she loved it, kept hassling me for more shots :D.. The missus actually shot better groups than some blokes I had taken out a dozen times :shock:

Personally recoil is one of things I enjoy most about shooting, always leaves me wanting more... :unknown:

:drinks:
Last edited by darwindingo on 25 Oct 2017, 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Accidental Discharges” DO NOT OCCUR !!

An "Unintended Discharge" is nothing more than the lack of appropriate safety procedures or the failure to follow them..!

I love my country, but fear my government.
darwindingo
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by brett1868 » 25 Oct 2017, 7:50 pm

Supaduke wrote:Recoil tolerance begins in the testicular region. Then, as mentioned, it's about technique. I think some guys just psych themselves out before they even pull the trigger. The only way to develop better technique is to put rounds down range.

I'm set, mine are the size of coconuts...One of the many joys of getting older :)
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Bigjobss » 25 Oct 2017, 8:02 pm

darwindingo wrote:

Technique is certainly a significant factor imo and plenty of trigger time is the way to develop that, but It does seem to be different for everyone, I've seen some "big tough blokes" that would close their eyes as pulling the trigger in anticipation and some petite little chicks that don't seem to be phased at all (looking forward to it if anything). I do believe that even those that struggle with it can build a tolerance with enough trigger time. Its not something to be ashamed of, just something to work on..

The first experience shooting my wife had was a .458 with 500gn'ers didn't bother her at all she loved it, kept hassling me for more shots :D.. The missus actually shot better groups than some blokes I had taken out a dozen times :shock:

Personally recoil is one of things I enjoy most about shooting, always leaves me wanting more... :unknown:

:drinks:

Recoil always make me smile, I remember shooting my old mans 375h&h at 15 and handled it better than him, there is creedance in the theory that smaller frames flex with the recoil whilst bigger and more solid (usually overweight) blokes dont flex as much and absorb the recoil.

Another good reason to stay in shape!
Bigjobss

Post by straightshooter » 26 Oct 2017, 6:42 am

Many amusing comments so far but the answer is relatively simple if not generally well understood.
A simplified explanation goes something like this.
If you hold the rifle firmly into your shoulder the mass of your shoulder adds to the total recoiling mass thus reducing the actual rearward acceleration of of the rifle as well as minimizing the impact of the recoiling rifle into your shoulder. If the rifle is loosely held then the recoiling rifle impacts into the mass of your immobile shoulder.
Another thing to note is that military rifles were not designed with bench rest shooting in mind.
"Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about."
"There is no expedient to which a man will not resort to avoid the real labor of thinking." Sir Joshua Reynolds
straightshooter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by brett1868 » 26 Oct 2017, 12:00 pm

The size of the contact patch of the stock against the shoulder also plays a critical part.
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Archie » 26 Oct 2017, 12:28 pm

I have never noticed recoil when I'm shooting at something that moves (clays with 12g or animal with a rifle). When it comes to punching holes on paper I'm a total recoil sook. And I've noticed that this pattern also applies even when its lying prone to take a hunting shot vs prone at the range. So I'm sure its 90% pure physics but I reckon at least some portion is psychological - when you're more focused on the target and ignoring the rifle a bit maybe?
Archie
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by dpskipper » 26 Oct 2017, 12:53 pm

I agree that the mind can alter how recoil is felt... For example out hunting and the Adrenalin is pumping, one would notice recoil less... However the shoulder might hurt a few hours after!
Wedgetail WT15
Riverman OAF
Desert Tech SRS
Adler 7 shot
dpskipper
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by in2anity » 26 Oct 2017, 1:17 pm

a 2-round metallic silhouette match (shot from the standing position) is manageable (but tiring depending on the calibre). shoot 80 of the same power loads off the bench and you'll struggle to finish. reason is your body has nowhere to go from bench (and to a lesser degree prone); so all that energy is absorbed straight into your shoulder. hunting is also often shot at least from an upright position as is shotgunning, contributing to the manageability of light, high-powered hunting guns. on the contrary, such guns are not designed to be continuously shot off a bench. lmao try do trap shooting from a chair - see how long your shoulder lasts.
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Daddybang » 26 Oct 2017, 2:05 pm

Archie wrote:I have never noticed recoil when I'm shooting at something that moves (clays with 12g or animal with a rifle). When it comes to punching holes on paper I'm a total recoil sook. And I've noticed that this pattern also applies even when its lying prone to take a hunting shot vs prone at the range. So I'm sure its 90% pure physics but I reckon at least some portion is psychological - when you're more focused on the target and ignoring the rifle a bit maybe?

That little squirt of adrenaline when ya hunting goes along way to taking the mind off the recoil :drinks:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by BRNO_Bigot » 26 Oct 2017, 6:12 pm

Lots of good info except the testicular fortitude one.

As someone - I think Brett - said up above, stock shape can be a killer - the early Sako 375 H&H rifles were stocked with a very narrow shoulder area, so firing it was like getting a blunt axe into the shoulder - and I have heard this fro many people. The Winchester M70 375 seemed to fit most people better and shooting it didn't have the same effect.

A lot of it is attitude - I am a big guy - one of those who don't bow to recoil and thus feel it - but I shoot my 458W as well as a friend's 505Gibbs without any problems. I have shot another man's 500NE and wanted to cry after 5 shots - my right shoulder and hand was numb. Admittedly, I had been shooting his 416Rem in a Rem M700 - and they do NOT fit me. I get rapped on the knuckle every time.

I do remember some social shoots I attended about 20 years ago, where everybody brought something to shoot and swapped out amongst each other ("I'll give you 10 rounds of .223 out of my LM5 for 2 rounds of 375 from your BRNO" - type of thing). There were two young ladies - wives of the other shooters who used to arrive, half-covered in spaghetti strap tops and want to shoot my 375 - they would overwhelm me with their femininity, and general hotness, and I would allow them to shoot as long aI could watch their boobies bounce. This same 375 sent some real macho guys lumbering off after 1 shot.

So - a lot of it is psychological, some is stock shape - and some is sookishness.
--
It's only when you look at an ant through a magnifying glass on a sunny
day that you realise how often they burst into flames.
BRNO_Bigot
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Australian Capital Territory

Post by BRNO_Bigot » 26 Oct 2017, 6:14 pm

brett1868 wrote:

I'm set, mine are the size of coconuts...One of the many joys of getting older :)

Testicles, not prostate! How many times a night do you get up for a slash?
--
It's only when you look at an ant through a magnifying glass on a sunny
day that you realise how often they burst into flames.
BRNO_Bigot
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Australian Capital Territory

Post by Oldbloke » 26 Oct 2017, 9:09 pm

straightshooter wrote:Many amusing comments so far but the answer is relatively simple if not generally well understood.
A simplified explanation goes something like this.
If you hold the rifle firmly into your shoulder the mass of your shoulder adds to the total recoiling mass thus reducing the actual rearward acceleration of of the rifle as well as minimizing the impact of the recoiling rifle into your shoulder. If the rifle is loosely held then the recoiling rifle impacts into the mass of your immobile shoulder.
Another thing to note is that military rifles were not designed with bench rest shooting in mind.

Physics dictates this is correct.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 26 Oct 2017, 9:34 pm

Also from an old post.

Lots of powder + heavy projectile + light rifle = lots of recoil.
Heavier rifle = less recoil
less powder or lead = less recoil.

Lighter the shooter the more they bend to the recoil = less felt recoil.

Big fat blokes are like a brick wall and don't move so more felt recoil.

So off hand shooting results in less felt recoil.

All things being equal, the above is true, to state the obvious. You cant beat it, its just about physics.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Stix » 29 Oct 2017, 12:04 am

BRNO_Bigot wrote:... ... ...
... ... ...
... ... ...
There were two young ladies - wives of the other shooters who used to arrive, half-covered in spaghetti strap tops and want to shoot my 375 - they would overwhelm me with their femininity, and general hotness, and I would allow them to shoot as long aI could watch their boobies bounce. ... ... ... ...

So - a lot of it is psychological, some is stock shape - and some is sookishness.

So in this example of recoil, your psychological state turned to sookishness due to the effects caused by the shape of the stock...!!! Hehe.

Its funny you said 'you allowed them'...sounds like they were calling the shots...they owned you boy...!!! Hehe
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Wombat » 29 Oct 2017, 10:01 am

My first experience with a centrefire really set me back for years. Prone with a Martini Enfield .303, before I was shaving and some 1912 mk VI ammo.
First shot had about a 1/4-1/2 second delay from trigger pull to ignition, long enough for me to think my father had loaded a spent shell to see if I had a flinch.
If I didn't before I certainly developed one then.
Wombat
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Return to Centerfire rifles