Plastic parts in rifles.

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Re: Plastic parts in rifles.

Post by marksman » 31 Oct 2017, 5:07 pm

I have just finished bedding a brand new T3x with a twisted new plastic stock and seen heaps of tikka plastic bottom metals torqued to the factory specs cracked as well as the stocks cracking, plastic mags that wont fit properly and fallout because the edges where they fit have rounded, saw a rem with plastic stock bend in the sun, have seen plastic stocks with scratches and dents, I do think there is a place for them but they are not indestructible as we are led to believe
colinbently said his mag cost $170 I don't see that as cheap and would rather a steel one he also said it did not take long to fall apart
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Tripod » 31 Oct 2017, 5:15 pm

The thing with plastics is that they deteriorate and there is nothing you can really do to protect it, Sooner or latter it will go brittle and crack. Wood and steel deteriorate too but it is easy to protect. How many of the modern rifles will we still be playing with when they are 100 years old?
Tripod
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Post by marksman » 31 Oct 2017, 6:02 pm

Tripod wrote:The thing with plastics is that they deteriorate and there is nothing you can really do to protect it, Sooner or latter it will go brittle and crack. Wood and steel deteriorate too but it is easy to protect. How many of the modern rifles will we still be playing with when they are 100 years old?

spot on :drinks:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 31 Oct 2017, 6:28 pm

marksman wrote:
Tripod wrote:The thing with plastics is that they deteriorate and there is nothing you can really do to protect it, Sooner or latter it will go brittle and crack. Wood and steel deteriorate too but it is easy to protect. How many of the modern rifles will we still be playing with when they are 100 years old?

spot on :drinks:

If the correct plastic is used it shouldn't happen.
Some do break down with sun exposure but a chemical is added to make that happen. Most plastics take eons to break down and therefore an environmental problem.

The argument is pointless, it depends on the users need.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 31 Oct 2017, 7:11 pm

sungazer wrote:Sorry plastic is just wrong yes wood dents but other than that if you cant be bothered to look after them your not really enjoying the hobby. I love oiling the wood stocks. Not the ones that have been coated in a two pack polyethylene paint but the real homemade stocks that are oiled and waxed. Such a peaceful soothing process and that dent can be sanded back a bit if you really want. Sometimes I wish for a second wood stock on some of my rifles one for the field and the other just to look beautiful.I'm not into that crazy money that some spend on the shotgun stocks. Luckily that look is not my taste anyway. I prefer seeing the grain in the wood and sort of like a laminate when it varies with the stock contour. Not so much that marble or fiddle back look.

I don't think I can agree with your first point. What you are actually suggesting is "if you can't make looking after your firearms much more time consuming than it needs be then you're not really enjoying the hobby". If I don't shoot for aesthetic reasons why would I want the chore of having to care for the aesthetics of my firearms? I care for my firearms to optimise performance and long life. If one has a wooden stock then obviously I need to maintain that as well, but to choose that over inert plastic or metal is just silly.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by marksman » 01 Nov 2017, 9:51 am

bladeracer wrote:
sungazer wrote:Sorry plastic is just wrong yes wood dents but other than that if you cant be bothered to look after them your not really enjoying the hobby. I love oiling the wood stocks. Not the ones that have been coated in a two pack polyethylene paint but the real homemade stocks that are oiled and waxed. Such a peaceful soothing process and that dent can be sanded back a bit if you really want. Sometimes I wish for a second wood stock on some of my rifles one for the field and the other just to look beautiful.I'm not into that crazy money that some spend on the shotgun stocks. Luckily that look is not my taste anyway. I prefer seeing the grain in the wood and sort of like a laminate when it varies with the stock contour. Not so much that marble or fiddle back look.

I don't think I can agree with your first point. What you are actually suggesting is "if you can't make looking after your firearms much more time consuming than it needs be then you're not really enjoying the hobby". If I don't shoot for aesthetic reasons why would I want the chore of having to care for the aesthetics of my firearms? I care for my firearms to optimise performance and long life. If one has a wooden stock then obviously I need to maintain that as well, but to choose that over inert plastic or metal is just silly.

you don't have to do anything special to care for a wooden stock, its already protected by its finish but you have the alternative to refinish if you want to
its like saying I don't want a metal action or barrel as I might have to do something to stop it from rusting?
there is a place for the synthetics no doubt at all and some shooters really like them, even for the aesthetics and feel of it but the salesman pitch to say that plastic stocks are better than timber, maintenance free and unbreakable is bulls**t, it is an each to there own
but really how often do you think a wooden stock is refinished :unknown:
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by MalleeFarmer » 01 Nov 2017, 12:43 pm

Ill add something to this from my perspective as a farmer. I hate plastic parts on rifles ie. mags, floorplates/trigger guards, bolt shrouds you name it i hate em. But stocks are a slightly different story. yes many standard equipment plastic stocks are horrendous i have used a T3 with standard plastic stock and man did that make the rifle feel cheap. But it still shot <MOA and was very practical for the bloke who owned it a farmer and it was his ute rifle timber would chip and scratch and look as bad as plastic in short order. I have also used a howa where the plastic stock had a very inconsistent flex and may or may not touch the barrel giving a very inconsistent POI this is BAD in anyones Books. I personally prefer Timber it doesnt flex (much) and if well cared for will last as long as the rifle its attched to but more expensive polymer stocks such as mcmillan, GRS and others make exceptional stocks that will also last as long as any timber stock or longer also increase your rifles accuracy and look awesome. The question is what do you want from your rifle?
"Agriculture is our wisest pursuit, because it will in the end contribute most to real wealth, good morals and happiness." Thomas Jefferson
MalleeFarmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by pete1 » 01 Nov 2017, 1:35 pm

MalleeFarmer wrote:This is why i buy Howa Rifles.. well Built and aside from a plastic follower all metal.

Agree, old Howas had metal follower, made it alot smother.
Wish there was a aftermarket manufacture made them out of steel, I'd buy one.
22LR
12G
12G
12G
pete1
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by scoobs » 01 Nov 2017, 7:46 pm

there is nothing wrong with plastic. it has its place. the problem lies with cheap plastic parts.
Tikka t3x super lite stainless .308/Nikon M-308 4-16x42 BDC-800.
Tikka T3X varmint stainless 22-250/Bushnell Trophy Extreme 6-24x50.
Lithgow LA101 22LR/bushnell rimfire 3-12x40
Adler a110 12Ga 20" tactical.
scoobs
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by colinbentley » 04 Nov 2017, 3:23 pm

Was pleasantly surprised that it only cost $140 for my gunsmith to replace the trigger guard on my Steyr Mannlicher. I was expecting much more as the plastic magazine cost me about $170. Still surprised at the use of plastic as this gun I think would go back to the 1970s. Speaking of cars , I have a 2000 model Jaguar XJ8. year ago the engine housing to which the radiator hoses are connected are -plastic which fell apart. Now replaced with metal. This is a Jaguar for heavens sake. I do expect quality from such a car.......not plastic.
colinbentley
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Return to Centerfire rifles