WIN94 & 30 cents 30 cal

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Re: WIN94 & 30 cents 30 cal

Post by in2anity » 16 Nov 2017, 7:21 am

Really good shooting SHV :thumbsup: You can also sort your projectiles based on weight; there is sometimes a surprising discrepancy in those commercial cast projectiles. Oh and another thing, you could start to experiment with lubricants; a simple pan lube of 1 part paraffin wax (candle wax),1 part pure lard and 1/2 part beeswax tightened my groups up a measurable ammount. Take a squiz at my thread viewtopic.php?f=2&t=6817&start=54#p106634
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by SHV » 16 Nov 2017, 9:23 am

in2anity wrote:Really good shooting SHV :thumbsup: You can also sort your projectiles based on weight; there is sometimes a surprising discrepancy in those commercial cast projectiles. Oh and another thing, you could start to experiment with lubricants; a simple pan lube of 1 part paraffin wax (candle wax),1 part pure lard and 1/2 part beeswax tightened my groups up a measurable ammount. Take a squiz at my thread viewtopic.php?f=2&t=6817&start=54#p106634

too many things to do :crazy: try one by one maybe better idea
thanks a lot for your advises, really helpful :drinks:
SHV
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by in2anity » 16 Nov 2017, 10:27 am

SHV wrote:too many things to do :crazy: try one by one maybe better idea
thanks a lot for your advises, really helpful :drinks:

hehe yeah sorry; one step at a time. just planting some seeds.... :drinks:
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by SHV » 22 Nov 2017, 8:03 pm

looks like 17gr is better, easy to get average 5 shot group like this. if can see the target more clear(used pistol target at 50 meters, front sight and target both black and the target is too big... ) should be better than this,

aa.JPG
aa.JPG (504.55 KiB) Viewed 5381 times
SHV
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by in2anity » 23 Nov 2017, 6:21 am

SHV wrote:looks like 17gr is better, easy to get average 5 shot group like this. if can see the target more clear(used pistol target at 50 meters, front sight and target both black and the target is too big... ) should be better than this,

That looks about right; if you had some better sights it'd probably put 5 into an inch at 50m (i.e. ~2moa). SHV you should get it drilled an tapped for a rear aperture; that'll go a long way in realising the rifle's potential.
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 23 Nov 2017, 6:41 am

My understanding is that marlin micro grooves are just shallower than normal but a few more of them. Easier and cheaper to manufacture.
But that isn't great for lead bullets. They Tenn to strip at lower speeds\pressures

Even my Marlin 223 doesn't like hot loads and I think this is the reason. My 3006 is the same.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by in2anity » 23 Nov 2017, 7:19 am

Oldbloke wrote:My understanding is that marlin micro grooves are just shallower than normal but a few more of them. Easier and cheaper to manufacture.
But that isn't great for lead bullets. They Tenn to strip at lower speeds\pressures

Even my Marlin 223 doesn't like hot loads and I think this is the reason. My 3006 is the same.

Yes, but SHV's is a Winchester?

But since you brought up the subject of the microgroove and lead; I know that's the commonly circulated theory, but I think it's more or less a myth. I've done a lot of load development for the 30/30 microgroove and I got my groups down to a consistent 2moa:

16_2207_L.jpg
REMINDER: that's a 20 shot group, without sorting the projectiles (explaining the flyers).
16_2207_L.jpg (790.64 KiB) Viewed 5364 times

I'm yet to see a winnie consistently group much tighter than that. Basically I just don't think the microgroove is that much of a (negative) factor (with lead).
Last edited by in2anity on 23 Nov 2017, 10:05 am, edited 2 times in total.
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by SHV » 23 Nov 2017, 9:39 am

in2anity wrote:
Oldbloke wrote:My understanding is that marlin micro grooves are just shallower than normal but a few more of them. Easier and cheaper to manufacture.

Yes, but SHV's is a Winchester?

With regard to the microgroove and lead; I know that's the commonly circulated theory, but I think it's more or less a myth. I've done a lot of load development for the 30/30 microgroove and I got my groups down to a consistent 2moa:

16_2207_L.jpg

I'm yet to see a winnie consistently group much tighter than that. I just don't think the microgroove is much of a (negative) factor (with lead).

yes, mine is win94
1 inch group is amazing, iron sigh or scoped?
SHV
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by SHV » 23 Nov 2017, 9:43 am

in2anity wrote:
SHV wrote:looks like 17gr is better, easy to get average 5 shot group like this. if can see the target more clear(used pistol target at 50 meters, front sight and target both black and the target is too big... ) should be better than this,

That looks about right; if you had some better sights it'd probably put 5 into an inch at 50m (i.e. ~2moa). SHV you should get it drilled an tapped for a rear aperture; that'll go a long way in realising the rifle's potential.

got rear aperture now, but it is hunting aperture rather than target aperture, next time will try different target which I can see more clearly no need guess work and maybe try the small aperture

FullSizeRender (83)_副本.jpg
FullSizeRender (83)_副本.jpg (186.04 KiB) Viewed 5359 times
SHV
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by in2anity » 23 Nov 2017, 9:47 am

SHV wrote:1 inch group is amazing, iron sigh or scoped?

That was with a old fixed x4 scope - that goes on for load development. That said, my .050" aperture and my front tunnel sight can produce almost, if not as-good as that if I'm shooting well (and the targets are properly lit). And to reiterate, these loads are position sensitive; I have to tilt the barrel prior to each shot to get consistent burns.
Last edited by in2anity on 23 Nov 2017, 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by in2anity » 23 Nov 2017, 9:55 am

SHV wrote:got rear aperture now, but it is hunting aperture rather than target aperture, next time will try different target which I can see more clearly no need guess work and maybe try the small aperture

cool! was going to suggest the lyman looks right at-home on the 94! very nice! Btw who does your gun-smithing?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by SHV » 23 Nov 2017, 9:58 am

in2anity wrote:
SHV wrote:got rear aperture now, but it is hunting aperture rather than target aperture, next time will try different target which I can see more clearly no need guess work and maybe try the small aperture

cool! was going to suggest the lyman looks right at-home on the 94! very nice! Btw who does your gun-smithing?

I am luck it already have the holes on the receiver, so just bought the lyman sight and fitted by myself
SHV
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Return to Centerfire rifles