Feeding issue with .303

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Feeding issue with .303

Post by JimmyS » 12 Nov 2017, 8:17 pm

G'day,

I bought a MK III Lithgow SMLE a week ago, everything seems well and good on it.
I went to the range today, and I attempted to chamber a .303 round, and the round would slide in perfectly well, untill it was 3/4 into the barrel, then it would just jam up, and I would have to aggressively push the bolt to get the round fully seated, ready to fire in the chamber (which I didn't do, because that's stupid.)
It seems like the round is too large for the barrel?
I tried a .308 out of interest, and it didn't even get 1/2 in.

Does anyone know why this would happen? It's not sporterised or anything, it's a full stock Lithgow .303.

I didn't take a photo, feel like a royal dumbshit for not doin so.

Cheers for any responses.
JimmyS
Private
Private

Victoria

Re: Feeding issue with .303

Post by bladeracer » 12 Nov 2017, 8:27 pm

JimmyS wrote:G'day,

I bought a MK III Lithgow SMLE a week ago, everything seems well and good on it.
I went to the range today, and I attempted to chamber a .303 round, and the round would slide in perfectly well, untill it was 3/4 into the barrel, then it would just jam up, and I would have to aggressively push the bolt to get the round fully seated, ready to fire in the chamber (which I didn't do, because that's stupid.)
It seems like the round is too large for the barrel?
I tried a .308 out of interest, and it didn't even get 1/2 in.

Does anyone know why this would happen? It's not sporterised or anything, it's a full stock Lithgow .303.

I didn't take a photo, feel like a royal dumbshit for not doin so.

Cheers for any responses.

Is it a .311" bore? Maybe it's been rebarrelled to .224, .257 or .277" for one of the wildcats?
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by COLLECTOR 1 » 12 Nov 2017, 8:41 pm

My bet it's been chambered to 7.7 x 54.... the metric conversion got around the old laws of owning a "ex mititary" cartridge....basically a shortened 303brit....

I'm sure others here on the forum can help out...it's not my speciality...lol

Collector 1
More Brno's than you can poke a stick at..!!!!
COLLECTOR 1
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Tripod » 12 Nov 2017, 8:44 pm

Has it got half a case stuck in the chamber? As in has it had a case separation and not had the front half of the case removed.
Tripod
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Post by JimmyS » 12 Nov 2017, 8:44 pm

I gotta say, I'd be f***ing fuming if it was, just as well it was tagged as calibre - .303, and not being told anything about a possible re-chambering.... probably should of asked.
JimmyS
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by Tripod » 12 Nov 2017, 8:55 pm

If it was a 7.7x54 it would only go tight at the last 2-3mm
Tripod
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Post by bladeracer » 12 Nov 2017, 9:01 pm

JimmyS wrote:I gotta say, I'd be f***ing fuming if it was, just as well it was tagged as calibre - .303, and not being told anything about a possible re-chambering.... probably should of asked.

Measure the bore.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by No1Mk3 » 12 Nov 2017, 11:54 pm

G'day JimmyS,
I assume you are using factory ammo? Tight chambering is not uncommon using reloads as they may not be full length resized. From what I read in your post you CAN chamber and close the bolt, but it is very tight to do so? 9/10 times this is simply a dirty or corroded chamber, and can be easily fixed by cleaning, or sometimes polishing the chamber. As for another smaller caliber such as 303-270 etc, very unlikely to be the problem, as the projectile would not foul the rifling until the last 1/4", and if rechambered would not seat home. Tripod has offered a possibility, though normally a separation will not close, and often extract with the attempt to load another cartridge. 1st step, get a bore scope and inspect the chamber, clean it thoroughly, and if the problem persists, do a chamber cast, Cheers.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by GLS_1956 » 13 Nov 2017, 4:35 am

I'd think about doing a chamber casting.
I've been asked: "How many guns do you need to have?" My answer remains the same: "One more."
GLS_1956
Sergeant
Sergeant

United States of America

Post by Tripod » 13 Nov 2017, 7:13 am

I guess it would also depend on your definition of aggressive, You do realise the SMLE's are cock on closing? You're not being a bit limp wristed with it are you?
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Tripod
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Post by Jeff303 » 13 Nov 2017, 8:04 am

All of the above are possible. Dont carry a 303 unless you have a broken case extractor in your pocket. Especially reloads.
2. All my fls reloads are firm to chamber.
Bore scope it & if its grotty get am oversized brush ( 323, 338), cordless drill, half a cleaning rod & some iosso paste. Then go to town on the chamber. Its good in the barrel too.
3. Do check thats its definitely 311
Jeff303
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by BBJ » 13 Nov 2017, 12:50 pm

Nothing stamped on the barrel re: the chambering?
Weatherby Vanguard .223 Remington
Tikka T3 Varmint Stainless .243 Winchester
R.I.P. M1 Garand .30-06 Springfield

Leupold VX-R 4-12x40
BBJ
Corporal
Corporal

Northern Territory

Post by JimmyS » 13 Nov 2017, 4:57 pm

I recall it being a .303, but since I store it off site, I'll grab it Friday night and post here with pictures, and I will also check what I have been advised to above.

If I recall correctly the Bolt & Barrel were matching.
I'll let you gents know Friday night, knowing me, I'm probably pulling a spastic.

FYI - No limp wrists here mate ;)
JimmyS
Private
Private

Victoria

Return to Centerfire rifles