Marlin 336W or 336SS

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Marlin 336W or 336SS

Post by Kenny » 14 Nov 2017, 8:39 pm

Ok, so what started out as "it would be fun with a lever action" has quickly turned into "I need one urgently"... :)
I'm sure there are a few here who know that feeling.. lol

So I'm thinking Marlin. I've had semi Marlin in the past and was happy with it, so don't mine another Marlin.
I'll go for 30-30. I've have stuff for longer range hunting, so this is for closer range and some fun of course.

Any of you had experience with the difference in them? By that I mean more the quality/accuracy, rather that the visual..
The SS is def much nicer to look at, stainless & wood, but it's not like it'll be displayed on the wall.. They're selling the SS for just over $1300, while the W is $800 with a scope. Thinking the saving can go to ammo, or, well, maybe another gun.. :)

Great to hear what you guys think
Kenny
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Re: Marlin 336W or 336SS

Post by pomemax » 14 Nov 2017, 8:46 pm

336 Marlin BL 30 -30
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by Bridgy » 14 Nov 2017, 8:55 pm

The saving could go into decent iron sights, but if it already has a scope, it could go into a few other mods!

I bought a Marlin 336C a few months ago, I bought it as it was only $100 dearer than the W. I wanted black walnut because my other main hunting rifle is synthetic and there's just something about nice timber. I haven't had a chance to get it out yet, which is a shame.

back on topic - usual positives of stainless apply - more resistant to rust etc, but if you look after it, it won't matter. My Tikka is stainless, my other guns are blued, they all get looked after and cleaned/oiled so it's much of a muchness.

The $500 difference between them would be the biggest decider for me!
Bridgy
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Post by Supaduke » 14 Nov 2017, 9:45 pm

Unless you are going into the wilderness for weeks at a time I think it's purely an aesthetics choice.

I don't think you will really be utilising the weather resistance of stainless so if you like the look of the shiny one, get it.

I dare say they will function and shoot pretty much the same.
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by in2anity » 15 Nov 2017, 8:02 am

The SS is generally more accurate than the W. The BL is generally more accurate than the SS (because of the forend cap instead of the double-bands). If accuracy is a priority, choosing the W would be a gamble; some shoot well, but many shoot pretty average, really depends on the manufacturing batch. If I were you, (as pomemax suggested) I'd also strongly consider the BL over the SS and W models. Furthermore I disagree with the "more ammo" option; get the highest quality rifle your budget will allow. Handloading the 30/30 can be ultimately cheap because it's a 30cal; I reload mine for 30c a piece (all things considered) for a consistent 2moa accuracy.

Second-hand JM stamped ones are generally more accurate than the new remlins; consider buying used, and lookout for forend capped versions. For example some of those 30AS' shoot like stink (even though they were technically the "budget" version with the birch stock).
Last edited by in2anity on 15 Nov 2017, 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Kenny » 15 Nov 2017, 9:13 am

Thanks guys. It is the price gap that makes the difference. If not such a gap, def go for top model.
$500 + scope, if not leaving it on iron sights that is.. But that again, I tend to keep what I buy - so long term investment..
BL and SS is pretty much the same price, about $150 or so difference. Both very nice.

in2anity, reloading for 30c a piece sound very appealing.
Kenny
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by in2anity » 15 Nov 2017, 10:24 am

Kenny wrote:Thanks guys. It is the price gap that makes the difference. If not such a gap, def go for top model.
$500 + scope, if not leaving it on iron sights that is.. But that again, I tend to keep what I buy - so long term investment..
BL and SS is pretty much the same price, about $150 or so difference. Both very nice.

in2anity, reloading for 30c a piece sound very appealing.

Fair enough, just be prepared for possibly 3 moa out-of-the box for the budget 336W model (plenty accurate enough for dropping medium game inside 100m, but no target rifle). BTW 30c a piece is shooting lead, not jacketed, so not quite the hitting power of say a 2400fps hollow-point.
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Kenny » 15 Nov 2017, 12:17 pm

Thanks. Yeah, a few things to consider..

I tend to start looking at base model, then add on a bit, and a bit more and more. Before I realise I end up with top model.. :)
That's why I'm trying to gather all the info and have a clear idea of which model..
Kenny
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Return to Centerfire rifles