Tikka T3x Lite or a Lithgow LA102

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Tikka T3x Lite or a Lithgow LA102

Post by Zarrs » 15 Nov 2017, 10:56 am

I'm looking for a new 308 not sure which way to go, I like shooting paper and I want to get into hunting. In a years time I am thinking of getting a 6.5 crem for long distance shooting so I am leaning towards the Tikka as it is not as heavy but I've read the recoil isn't that flash on them.

Thoughts?
Last edited by Zarrs on 15 Nov 2017, 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Zarrs
Private
Private

Victoria

Re: Tikka T3x Lite or a Lithgow LA102

Post by Gamerancher » 15 Nov 2017, 11:00 am

The Creedmoor is an excellent hunting round as well as a great target round. Felt recoil is very mild as is the muzzle blast. I can't see recoil being a problem in the Tikka.
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by TBJ » 15 Nov 2017, 12:00 pm

6.5 is an excellent round, however it's not Sambar legal in Victoria, if you're never gonna hunt Sambar with this rifle then I'd suggest the 6.5 for long range shooting and hunting, if you're thinking you might go after Sambar with this rifle then I'd suggest the 308, and it's still not a bad long range caliber, in terms of LA102 vs T3x lite if you're going to be carrying it a lot and it's mostly a hunting rifle then I'd think about weight and go the Tikka on the other hand if its going to be mainly a range rifle and its not being carried much then I'd suggest the Lithgow being a heavier gun with a more target centered stock, or you could go for a Tikka T3x Varmint if you're not going to be carrying it, in terms of recoil neither calibers are huge recoiling calibers but a heavier gun will have less felt recoil. Another rifle you could look at is the Howa 1500, they're excellent budget guns and there is a bunch of aftermarket parts for them. just my 2 cents
Have: .17H .22LR .204R .222REM .223REM .22-250 .243WIN .270WIN .308WIN .300WM 7.62x39 30-06SPRG .303BRIT 30-30WIN 9.3x62 45-70GOVT 44RMAG 45LC 20GA 12GA .410GA
Want: .220SWIFT 6.5CREED .260REM .375H&H .416RIGBY .444MARLIN .458WIN 16GA 28GA
TBJ
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by in2anity » 15 Nov 2017, 5:39 pm

How about a t3 CTR? Going cheap as they’re old stock.
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Bent Arrow » 15 Nov 2017, 5:53 pm

Put a good recoil pad on the rifle if your worried about recoil. I put a limbsaver precision fit on my tikka T3 Hunter in 25-06 and it took from mild recoil to pleasant to shoot.
Bent Arrow
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

South Australia

Post by Zarrs » 15 Nov 2017, 9:55 pm

in2anity wrote:How about a t3 CTR? Going cheap as they’re old stock.

I looked at them they are meant to be very heavy
Zarrs
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by Mitch » 16 Nov 2017, 4:48 am

Zarrs wrote:

Depends on person. I have one that i happily carry around when shooting, it's not too bad
Mitch
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by albat » 16 Nov 2017, 6:26 am

I have the 308 t3x synthetic and got it cus i was getting tired of carting my vanguard around in the bush just too heavy for what i do , tikka is uber light and accurate with virtually any factory ammo i have fed it, would not buy any other rifle that did say tikka on it
albat
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by in2anity » 16 Nov 2017, 7:13 am

Zarrs wrote:

Sounds like you need to do some more research; the CTR is lighter than the la102. Besides, if you'll be punching holes sitting in a chair, you'll be thankful of a heavier rifle. Plinking factory (or MAX) 308w through a lightweight hunting rifle will boot; particularly off bench. And if you expect target performance out of a light hunter rifle, you may be sadly disappointed. Horses for courses.
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Gun-nut » 16 Nov 2017, 11:12 am

Get the la102 and support the Australian gun industry...then buy the tikka down the track because 2 rifles are obviously better one.
Gun-nut
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by RoginaJack » 16 Nov 2017, 3:27 pm

C'mon Fellas Fair Dinkum;" you might get puffed, your little legs might get tired, it might kick shooting at the bench"!
And all from carrying a LA102 rifle around the bush? The jolly thing only weighs 3.5kg; Try it with a SLR, 4.3kg or 9.5lbs empty, slap on a 20 round metal mag and away we go.
Suggest pull on your big sister's panties, eat a couple extra weet-bix and a slice of toast with vegemite for Brekkie and out in the bush for the day really hunting. :lol: :D
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Cooper » 16 Nov 2017, 6:07 pm

I have a Tikka Lite in 7mm 08 and heavy barrel Howa (26 inch) 6.5 Creedmoor. The Tikka Lite does have a bit of muzzle lift or blast. It not bad but it the heavy barrel Creedmoor is much planted.

Lithgow V Tikka. I'd love to buy Australian. But out the end of the day it is what feel best to you? I also think you probably should be comparing the Tikka Varmint to the Lithgow la102. For a hunting rifle I would choose the a Tikka Lite. But again it's what feels best to you?
Cooper
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Zarrs » 16 Nov 2017, 6:26 pm

RoginaJack wrote:C'mon Fellas Fair Dinkum;" you might get puffed, your little legs might get tired, it might kick shooting at the bench"!
And all from carrying a LA102 rifle around the bush? The jolly thing only weighs 3.5kg; Try it with a SLR, 4.3kg or 9.5lbs empty, slap on a 20 round metal mag and away we go.
Suggest pull on your big sister's panties, eat a couple extra weet-bix and a slice of toast with vegemite for Brekkie and out in the bush for the day really hunting. :lol: :D

Thats not very nice ;) heheh Truth be told after my years in the Army my body is shot, I'm 34 with the pains for a 50 year old so I am taking the sissy route thank you very much!!!!!!!!!!!

I ended up getting the Browning A - Bolt 3 for $600, which I am really happy with. It is really lite and the reviews I've read seem to be positive.

To get some man points back, I actually walked in with the intention of getting the Lithgow but it was not meant to be!
Zarrs
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by RoginaJack » 16 Nov 2017, 9:08 pm

Yeah, the Browning A bolt should do the job and after all, it what suits and what you're comfortable with.

And know that feeling only too well. :D
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Return to Centerfire rifles