Picking up New Rifle later this week

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Picking up New Rifle later this week

Post by PaddyT » 20 Nov 2017, 1:17 pm

Afternoon all, picking up my first rifle later this week, to remind everyone its a Tikka T3X .223 1-8 twist with Bushnell Elite 4500. Now other than the obvious what should I be looking out for when I do pick it up- actually the obvious might be good to revise as well! Thanks in advance
PaddyT
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Re: Picking up New Rifle later this week

Post by pomemax » 20 Nov 2017, 1:20 pm

What shop you getting it from just beware some in nsw have a bad rep for fitting scopes
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by Member-Deleted » 20 Nov 2017, 1:38 pm

Hey PaddyT I would check all the screw heads if any damaged then care hasn't been taken to fit things this could result in stripped screws
then check the crown for damage, scope damage ,stock for damage, the caliber the rest is pretty much do you like it
Member-Deleted

Post by PaddyT » 20 Nov 2017, 1:42 pm

Am I allowed to name the shop? So far they have been very helpful and patient with me .
PaddyT
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Member-Deleted » 20 Nov 2017, 1:48 pm

I don't see why not but be careful not to bag them on a forum as it may not be taken too kindly as walls have ears
and its not real proper
Member-Deleted

Post by PaddyT » 20 Nov 2017, 2:28 pm

As i said they've been very helpful- Razorback at Nth Richmond
PaddyT
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Member-Deleted » 20 Nov 2017, 3:31 pm

Yep , Good O mate let us know how it turns out

Cheers
Member-Deleted

Post by tom604 » 20 Nov 2017, 3:45 pm

give it a clean,inside and out then go shoot it :thumbsup: buy several types of ammo as rifles can be picky :thumbsup:
tom604
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

South Australia

Post by juststarting » 20 Nov 2017, 4:50 pm

Make sure there's a rifle in the box and they haven't swapped it for rocks. You're getting a brand new rifle, buy some ammo, clean it, go shoot it.
---
https://reloadingstudio.com
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by Archie » 20 Nov 2017, 4:51 pm

The thing I got wrong with my first one is, when they are fitting the scope, take a bit of time to make sure the positioning is right for your eye when you have the rifle in against your shoulder pocket and your cheek on the stock. Took me ages to figure out that not everyone had black ellipses covering a third of their scope picture, and it was just because the scope was a little too far off from where it worked for me.

Also remember to take out a mortgage because you're about to embark on a lifetime of spending... you might as well put in the second PTA now.
Archie
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by brett1868 » 20 Nov 2017, 5:08 pm

Nice choice and seems you're reasonably local to me. HPGS has 55gr OSA ammo in blister packs that's reasonably priced and shoots brilliantly in my Howa 223. Get your self a good quality cleaning rod, brush, jag, patches, solvent and oil. Give it a good clean when you get home and be sure to run a couple dry patches through it before shooting. If you're going to head out to St Mary's indoor range then get in touch cause a few of us shoot there and can offer assistance with getting it sighted in if required.
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Stix » 20 Nov 2017, 6:19 pm

If you're a 'take it outa the box n shoot it kinda guy', id check all the screws mate...scope mounting & action screws for tension-or at least tight.
Check the barrel is sitting centre of barrel channel-if not take it out & put it together properly.

I just say this as ive had 4 rifles in the last year from that manufacturor & action screw tension was all over the place-some too tight, some flopping around like big mammas upturned bowl of jelly, & barrel not centred on 3 of them out of the box.

If you using original Tikka rings, buy replacement screws for them immediately (& get me some)...you will need them one day...!

By the sound of it (hopefully) your lgs will do all this for you...
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by PaddyT » 21 Nov 2017, 6:51 am

Thanks for all the pointers, will let you know how it goes
PaddyT
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by simmo » 22 Nov 2017, 6:00 pm

Hey

I just brought exactly what you’re buying. It’s a great rifle and I have gotten good results from Outback 69gn ammo.
On of the crown there is the small but just noticable scratch. I’ve had it about a 2 weeks and put 50rds through it and that is the worst I can say about it. Enjoy it mate.
simmo
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by RoginaJack » 23 Nov 2017, 10:10 am

If you're looking to reload, I bought PPU ammo to break it( rifle) in etc. and that gave me shells for reloading and if I dropped them in the bush, no worries, cheap...
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Return to Centerfire rifles