New toys...

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Re: New toys...

Post by in2anity » 09 Dec 2017, 11:56 am

juststarting wrote:
AusTac wrote:What kind of mood are the ro's in down there these days?

Uh, ROs, not ro's. Right. I've never had an issue with an RO at Springvale or Little River. I have seen a few d**kheads there though. Last time - RO, could you please open the case? Guy, oh it's unloaded and bolt is out. RO, I need to check... This went on for a minute, I honestly though the guy should be kicked out, RO was very composed and calm and got his way. Some people just shouldn't be allowed in public. As far as range officers go, I've always had a good experience, even when I did silly things.

Yes I know what you mean there are some proper wankers out there - but some ro’s get butthurt from customers like that though, and then they themselves turn permanently sour. They just assume everyone is a wanker. I really don’t like that - customer always comes first, no matter how bad of day you are having. If they can’t (at least initially) treat paying customers with a little respect they should think about a career change.
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by juststarting » 09 Dec 2017, 12:06 pm

in2anity, I'd have to disagree with you there. A bad customer is a waste of resources. The time spent on a bad customer could be equivalent to helping two or three good customers. There's ways of looking at it, money is one, opportunity cost is the other. If your opportunity cost loss is too high due to a bad customer, then that customer is not going to be a customer for long. So no, the customer does not always comes first.
---
https://reloadingstudio.com
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by Wombat » 09 Dec 2017, 12:18 pm

They have a job where the consequences of a ND could be lethal. They are dealing with all sorts, with all sorts of ability and common sense. I'd rather have someone deal with me somewhat curtly than watch someone being injured or killed due to the stupidity of the general public. Sometimes there's no time for "excuse me" and "please sir" direct succinct orders are what is needed.
Can you imagine what would happen in the media if there were 2-3 incidents at ranges where people were shot?
Wombat
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by in2anity » 09 Dec 2017, 2:46 pm

There’s a difference between being firm and succinct, and being a egotistical d-bag on a power trip - that’s all I’m saying. Plenty of ranges manage this perfectly - when people are doing it wrong, ro’s step in and people listen. But most of the time your left alone because the ro’s can tell that you’re not going to kill anyone and that you understand basic range protocol. that’s all I’m saying. there’s one particular range that is just not fun for said reason. Therefore I try to avoid that particular range. Of course you guys are entitled to your opinions though - maybe I just have an authority complex :drinks:
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Zarrs » 09 Dec 2017, 3:27 pm

in2anity wrote:There’s a difference between being firm and succinct, and being a egotistical d-bag on a power trip - that’s all I’m saying. Plenty of ranges manage this perfectly - when people are doing it wrong, ro’s step in and people listen. But most of the time your left alone because the ro’s can tell that you’re not going to kill anyone and that you understand basic range protocol. that’s all I’m saying. there’s one particular range that is just not fun for said reason. Therefore I try to avoid that particular range. Of course you guys are entitled to your opinions though - maybe I just have an authority complex :drinks:

I was there today and its the first time I've been there having my own fire arms licence and the RO's were great they left me alone and were helpful when I asked questions.

When I didnt have my licence they were still great they were short and sharp but as some one else said they don't have time to be sweet they get paid to make sure people dont shoot themselves or some one else.
Zarrs
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by in2anity » 09 Dec 2017, 5:47 pm

juststarting wrote:in2anity, I'd have to disagree with you there. A bad customer is a waste of resources. The time spent on a bad customer could be equivalent to helping two or three good customers. There's ways of looking at it, money is one, opportunity cost is the other. If your opportunity cost loss is too high due to a bad customer, then that customer is not going to be a customer for long. So no, the customer does not always comes first.

If the customer is painful, only then should you treat them like a child (rather than just presuming all shooters are going to kill themselves). And anyway, it's not like interactions at a shooting range are significant; they generally happen over a matter of seconds. I say keep it calm and polite (which you have admired yourself). Completely different businesses perhaps what you say is true.
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Supaduke » 09 Dec 2017, 7:44 pm

Just nod and smile. In many years of shooting I have come across good ones ,bad ones, some are really cool, some are authoritarian idiots.

Point is most are volunteering their time or being paid a pittance. I have neither the time or inclination to be a range officer. I know they are a vital component to a functioning range so I just nod, smile and do my best to keep them happy.

As mentioned, they have a job to do. To keep people safe, often from themselves. Some may need better people skills but try your best to be accommodating. You could always volunteer and show them how it's done.
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by juststarting » 09 Dec 2017, 7:52 pm

Not sure if I told this story... Personally seen a bunch of supervised visitors (bit of a novelty for them, I guess, looked liked tourists) trying to walk onto a range during live fire, to change the target. I guess if you walk in a straight line in your own lane, it'll be okay. Right?

Nod and smile and don't be a butthurt, because there's obviously enough of those.
---
https://reloadingstudio.com
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by in2anity » 09 Dec 2017, 9:28 pm

Supaduke wrote:Just nod and smile. In many years of shooting I have come across good ones ,bad ones, some are really cool, some are authoritarian idiots.

Point is most are volunteering their time or being paid a pittance. I have neither the time or inclination to be a range officer. I know they are a vital component to a functioning range so I just nod, smile and do my best to keep them happy.

As mentioned, they have a job to do. To keep people safe, often from themselves. Some may need better people skills but try your best to be accommodating. You could always volunteer and show them how it's done.

Must say, that’s pretty well said supaduke, well said indeed my friend. Keep calm and carry on.
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by brett1868 » 09 Dec 2017, 10:13 pm

juststarting wrote:Not sure if I told this story... Personally seen a bunch of supervised visitors (bit of a novelty for them, I guess, looked liked tourists) trying to walk onto a range during live fire, to change the target. I guess if you walk in a straight line in your own lane, it'll be okay. Right?

Nod and smile and don't be a butthurt, because there's obviously enough of those.

If I was on that range and they were project managers then they'd all get a bullet to the back of their skulls :)
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by darwindingo » 10 Dec 2017, 1:53 am

brett1868 wrote:
juststarting wrote:Not sure if I told this story... Personally seen a bunch of supervised visitors (bit of a novelty for them, I guess, looked liked tourists) trying to walk onto a range during live fire, to change the target. I guess if you walk in a straight line in your own lane, it'll be okay. Right?

If I was on that range and they were project managers then they'd all get a bullet to the back of their skulls :)

I could be wrong, but I'm starting to suspect that you may have a subtle dislike for project managers Brett ? :lol: :welcome: to the club..... :thumbsup:

:drinks:
“Accidental Discharges” DO NOT OCCUR !!

An "Unintended Discharge" is nothing more than the lack of appropriate safety procedures or the failure to follow them..!

I love my country, but fear my government.
darwindingo
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Previous

Return to Centerfire rifles