First Shoot

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

First Shoot

Post by PaddyT » 05 Dec 2017, 10:10 am

Ok took the new rifle down to St Marys last Friday arvo with Kudu to sight in and have my first shoot in 20 + years. It was actually my first shoot off a bench but anyway a few first impressions.
1. Being left handed is a bit of a pain- had to change bench around and to be honest still found shooting off the bench a bit awkward- couldnt get 100%comfortable for any of my shots
2. Tikka T3x is very nice to use and .223 is a nice gentle calibre to get restarted on
3. Used Fed Powershok 64grain on my LGS recommendation and they shot nicely , hit the white on 18/20 shots (I didnt take them all)
4. Found it hard to use the scope with the safety glasses on - got a fair bit of distortion - which I dont get at all without the glasses
5. I am very rusty- going to pop down to the range and hire a 22 and shoot with that to get the hang of it again.

Anyway so far so good- happy with the purchase. BTW can anyone recommend a good cheek rest- i borrowed a wrap round type for 1 shot and it felt pretty good- i seemed to have better eye position.
PaddyT
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Re: First Shoot

Post by bladeracer » 05 Dec 2017, 10:47 am

PaddyT wrote:Ok took the new rifle down to St Marys last Friday arvo with Kudu to sight in and have my first shoot in 20 + years. It was actually my first shoot off a bench but anyway a few first impressions.
1. Being left handed is a bit of a pain- had to change bench around and to be honest still found shooting off the bench a bit awkward- couldnt get 100%comfortable for any of my shots
2. Tikka T3x is very nice to use and .223 is a nice gentle calibre to get restarted on
3. Used Fed Powershok 64grain on my LGS recommendation and they shot nicely , hit the white on 18/20 shots (I didnt take them all)
4. Found it hard to use the scope with the safety glasses on - got a fair bit of distortion - which I dont get at all without the glasses
5. I am very rusty- going to pop down to the range and hire a 22 and shoot with that to get the hang of it again.

Anyway so far so good- happy with the purchase. BTW can anyone recommend a good cheek rest- i borrowed a wrap round type for 1 shot and it felt pretty good- i seemed to have better eye position.

I've found these to be pretty decent.
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Adjustable-Tactical-Butt-Stock-Rifle-Cheek-Rest-Pouch-Bullet-Holder-Bag-Pack-HOT/272668352390
I roll up the white foam sheet packaging to build it to the perfect height.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Cooper » 05 Dec 2017, 11:09 am

https://www.australiantacticalprecision ... rest-piece

I have one of the Kydex adjustable cheek rests on my Tikka tx3. You have to drilled the stock. But I prefer it to the padded style. The padded ones are ok. But I prefer the solid feeling that doesn't move or feel different. With the solid mount style I'm pretty much get my eye to scope perfect straight away. I'm mainly talking hunting situations. I could probably get away with the padded style if I was just shooting off the bench.
Cooper
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by in2anity » 05 Dec 2017, 11:38 am

PaddyT wrote:Ok took the new rifle down to St Marys last Friday arvo with Kudu to sight in and have my first shoot in 20 + years. It was actually my first shoot off a bench but anyway a few first impressions.

1. Being 100% comfortable is important for consistency; regardless of your stance, you need to work on this to feel comfortable. Handedness at st marys is not a variable (because you can just rotate the table). Keep practising.
4. Is the scope positioned correctly? you may need to slide it in the rings to optimize eye relief. What scope is it btw?
5. All factors considered, 22lr is the best calibre. There i said it :allegedly: :D ding ding round 1
Last edited by in2anity on 05 Dec 2017, 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 05 Dec 2017, 11:43 am

Cooper wrote:https://www.australiantacticalprecision.com.au/products/atp-adjustable-kydex-cheek-rest-piece

I have one of the Kydex adjustable cheek rests on my Tikka tx3. You have to drilled the stock. But I prefer it to the padded style. The padded ones are ok. But I prefer the solid feeling that doesn't move or feel different. With the solid mount style I'm pretty much get my eye to scope perfect straight away. I'm mainly talking hunting situations. I could probably get away with the padded style if I was just shooting off the bench.

I have seen pictures of the plastic adjustable cheek riser attached to a strap-on base, but I've never been able to find them for sale.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by brett1868 » 05 Dec 2017, 1:37 pm

I have seen pictures of the plastic adjustable cheek riser attached to a strap-on base, but I've never been able to find them for sale.

I really hope you're referring to a firearm accessory and not something from Oldblokes wardrode :lol:

Being a lefty can be challenging, my son's a lefty and just started shooting so I'm learning a lot about how difficult it is. You can get the Bistoli adjustable cheek riser, I've got the R/H version but there is a lefty model in the link below.

http://westernfirearms.com.au/shooting-accessories-slings-swivels-shell-holders-adjustable-height-cheek-piece-black-left-handed-p-4065.html?osCsid=52mokj05a83u8u79inmrid7nu1

I shoot at St Mary's a couple times a week as do a few others on here if you want to catch up with other members.
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by PaddyT » 05 Dec 2017, 2:00 pm

Thats what im looking for- ta- thanks for the offers of help fella's , going to try a flatter lensed safety glass as well , as I said the distortion is only their when I whack the safety glasses on
PaddyT
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by brett1868 » 05 Dec 2017, 3:10 pm

Search eBay for "Bolle Safety Glasses" as they may solve your vision problem, I use Bolle frames with prescription lenses for pistol shooting. Apologies if you're already thought of this but have you setup the Diopter Adjustment properly for your eyes?
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Wylie27 » 05 Dec 2017, 3:37 pm

brett1868 wrote:

Being a lefty can be challenging, my son's a lefty and just started shooting so I'm learning a lot about how difficult it is.

Brett1868 Its not difficult or challenging.. being a leftie myself the hardest part is spinning a bench at St Marys and it stops you from usingn my rifle :)
Wylie27
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 05 Dec 2017, 5:08 pm

"I really hope you're referring to a firearm accessory and not something from Oldblokes wardrode :lol: "

I prefer the waxed hardwood myself. :allegedly:
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Bourt » 28 Dec 2017, 9:19 am

PaddyT wrote:2. Tikka T3x is very nice to use and .223 is a nice gentle calibre to get restarted on

Yep, good combo to get back in the game with there :thumbsup:
Bourt
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Tinked » 18 Jan 2018, 10:04 am

brett1868 wrote:I really hope you're referring to a firearm accessory and not something from Oldblokes wardrode :lol:

What OB does at home is none of your damn business! :lol:
Tinked
Private
Private

Australian Capital Territory

Return to Centerfire rifles