ruger no 1 calibre question

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

ruger no 1 calibre question

Post by nightforcenxs » 09 Dec 2017, 10:10 pm

so as the title states im looking at getting a ruger no 1 but im really unsure of what calibre to get as ill have it rebarreled to chosen calibre i want something that will give a big bang and kick im looking for people with experience with following calibres. 444 marlin 375 H&H 375 ruger 45-70 i also reload so reloading for the calibres i have mentioned wont be a problem thanks.
nightforcenxs
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Re: ruger no 1 calibre question

Post by GLS_1956 » 10 Dec 2017, 12:45 am

I've got two Ruger No. 3 carbines, same action as No. 1 but with lighter set up. One of them is in 45/70, the other is in 22 Hornet, great little gun, wonderfully light for carrying, but it kicks like the dickens. I do like the 45/70 round, I have 4 guns in that chambering, all single shots, the Ruger action is super strong so that any of the cartridges you listed are well within possibility, you can load the 45/70 up to near 458 WinMag if wished, you may even think about some of the other rounds out there like 416 Rigby, 416 Ruger, and 416 Remington.
I've been asked: "How many guns do you need to have?" My answer remains the same: "One more."
GLS_1956
Sergeant
Sergeant

United States of America

Post by duncan61 » 10 Dec 2017, 10:01 pm

Ruger no 1 in 416 Rigby its a no brainer.Nothing that walks on the planet can survive.recoil is hard but manageable.I have wished for one for years but have no real reason to own one.I shot three rounds out the M77 Safari bolt action in N.T. and was impressed.A lot of authority
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by marksman » 11 Dec 2017, 8:47 am

the 375 weatherby, easy forming (just shoot 375h&h in the chamber), unique cal and a real improvement on the 375h&h
all you need :drinks:
and just buy one in 375h&h and get the weatherby reamer put through it :thumbsup:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by RoginaJack » 11 Dec 2017, 9:04 am

Often seen the Rugers pop up on a used gun site...
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Return to Centerfire rifles