Budget .223 recommendations

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Budget .223 recommendations

Post by Wombat » 11 Dec 2017, 4:56 pm

My Brother is down from the NT for a week or two and wants to look around at what budget 223's are available for his Son.
Nephew has his heart set on a Remington 783. Are they Ok? I've tried steering him towards a Howa. Is there a better budget offering?
Will be used for hunting, far away from any shop so something simple and robust is the aim.
Wombat
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Re: Budget .223 recommendations

Post by brett1868 » 11 Dec 2017, 5:06 pm

There is really only 1 choice, Howa 1500 Mini Action in .223 and a case of OSA 55gr BlitzKing ammo.
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 11 Dec 2017, 6:03 pm

Wombat wrote:My Brother is down from the NT for a week or two and wants to look around at what budget 223's are available for his Son.
Nephew has his heart set on a Remington 783. Are they Ok? I've tried steering him towards a Howa. Is there a better budget offering?
Will be used for hunting, far away from any shop so something simple and robust is the aim.

I would go with the Ruger American myself.
Don't like the 783 although I've never seen one myself. My brother did consider one so I did some research that didn't add up to a good rifle.
The Howa is good, as is the Savage.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by marksman » 11 Dec 2017, 6:41 pm

isn't the rem 783 the Chinese made rem :unknown:
I'm not sure but if it is quite a while ago I tweaked one for a bloke who I told to get rid of it as it was an unknown for how long it would be any good
rough as guts if it is the same as what I tweaked, came in a package, about $600 with a crap scope
I don't want to bag other peoples choices but understand there are remingtons and there are remingtons :allegedly:

if I were him I would look at an earlier howa with the fully adjustable trigger, three adjustment screws
it would be second hand but better finished
IMHO

www.usedguns.com.au/Product.aspx?p=116033
Last edited by marksman on 11 Dec 2017, 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Wombat » 11 Dec 2017, 6:45 pm

It has to be new unfortunately. I tried to get him interested in a CZ or 700 secondhand, no go......
Wombat
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by RumPlz » 11 Dec 2017, 7:12 pm

Howa 1500 mini action, I have one and can't recommend it enough!
RumPlz
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 11 Dec 2017, 7:27 pm

Might still be a few marlin x7 about. Now discontinued. Got mine for $550. Fair bit lighter than the howa's. Basic and cheap. Mine shoots OK.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Gun-nut » 11 Dec 2017, 8:46 pm

Definitely go the ruger american route, those things are built bloody tough and are certainly rugged enough for your nephew's specifications. Quite accurate too with the right ammo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lurfn3QQsEc
Gun-nut
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by COLLECTOR 1 » 11 Dec 2017, 9:54 pm

Sorry but go the mini howa....heavy stainless variant for the NT humidity.... dead set laser beam firearms. I've got one and a mate has as well. Go the OSA ammunition as previously mentioned and stand back in wonder. And this is outta the box to. Buy a spare mag as well.

Collector 1
More Brno's than you can poke a stick at..!!!!
COLLECTOR 1
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Wombat » 12 Dec 2017, 7:12 am

I guess I'll have another go at trying to point him towards a Howa (or one of the other suggestions). My own .223 is an older Savage, so I may take them for a shot with that.If it wasn't a 1 in 12 or 14 twist I'd just give him that, but it doesn't like anything over 55gr.
Wombat
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Cooper » 12 Dec 2017, 8:49 am

My vote Howa mini action. I bought a 204 ruger in the Mini action. It was so good I bought one in 223 as well. I already had a 223 Weatherby (Howa with 1-12 twist). Considering the price of the Howa they shoot pretty good.
Cooper
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Rikta » 12 Dec 2017, 9:35 am

I have a 783 in .270, accurate as, but and this is a big BUT, I have done a tonne of work to it, better off buying a Howa any day of the week, however dont get a mini action if he plans on having a choice of stocks to put on it after market. plain old howa 1500 short action would be best.
Rem .270
Howa .223
Ruger 22lr
Lanber 12g
Rossi 410g
Rikta
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Cooper » 12 Dec 2017, 9:48 am

Rikta wrote:I have a 783 in .270, accurate as, but and this is a big BUT, I have done a tonne of work to it, better off buying a Howa any day of the week, however dont get a mini action if he plans on having a choice of stocks to put on it after market. plain old howa 1500 short action would be best.

Not sure what your talking about Re: choice of stocks for Howa Mini action?? I have one in MDT chassis and the other in a Boyds thumb hole. You can also get the Boyds At One stock for the mini now. So it not like there isn't any options??
Cooper
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by RoginaJack » 12 Dec 2017, 4:08 pm

How about a Tikka T3, yes it's a superseded model but the price is certainly great! :D
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Wombat » 12 Dec 2017, 5:56 pm

RoginaJack wrote:How about a Tikka T3, yes it's a superseded model but the price is certainly great! :D

At the big shop in Qld? What sort of price?
Wombat
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Col » 12 Dec 2017, 7:26 pm

FWIW I agree with Rogina Jack a T3 would be the go to, if the price is right. I have a T3 in 243 Stainless Varmint and a T3X superlite fluted stainless in 308. Both are brilliant but not cheap.
I also have a Howa in 223 Varmint barrel. Brilliant for the price and the OSA 55gn through it are fantastic. Best bang for buck I know. Hogue stock it came with is a little soft or flexible but I can live with it as most shooting is from a vehicle.

Good Luck

Col
Col
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by RoginaJack » 13 Dec 2017, 5:56 pm

Not only the big shop up here but there are a few other shops too. Have a look on a used guns site, might find what you're looking for or check out the LGS. Can't go wrong with a TIKKA.
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Mitch@Ripley » 13 Dec 2017, 7:28 pm

weatherby vanguard or howa, tikka lite is still pretty cheap and would be good for youngster
Mitch@Ripley
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by Corn » 13 Dec 2017, 8:39 pm

Hey Wombat
I bought a Remington 783, the link below is what I thought of it. I still haven't done anything about the sticky bolt issue.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=8353&p=132359#p132359

But if I had to buy again, I'd give the Howa a go.
I'm happy to sell mine (I'd like to buy something a little larger! Something deer legal for VIC)
Something something something
Corn
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by Miniaction » 14 Dec 2017, 6:05 am

+1 for a Howa mini action in stainless varmint. She's a beauty. More accurate than me. Loves the ADI produced ammo (Buffalo River and Australian Outback) and does well with fiocchi 50gr ballistic tips
Miniaction
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Wombat » 15 Dec 2017, 7:40 pm

Well thanks for all the input everyone. I'm now convinced the best choice would have been a Howa (well confirmed my choice) however they decided to go with a package Remington 783 in 308 before I had a chance to go shopping with them.
Wombat
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Daddybang » 15 Dec 2017, 7:45 pm

From .223 to .308 :lol: :lol: :lol: :drinks: :drinks:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Wombat » 15 Dec 2017, 8:03 pm

Yeah but should have started at .308 sometimes .223 just inst enough gun. At least .308 is the minimum I'd use for what they come across.
Wombat
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by in2anity » 16 Dec 2017, 9:08 pm

308 can give you a flinch though - especially shooting from a chair. Dunno, 223/222 woulda been better IMO. Anyways she la vie, put a pad on it or load it down if he starts flinching.
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Wombat » 16 Dec 2017, 9:37 pm

I don't think it'll be a problem, he's used to using a Mauser 308 carbine with a steel butt plate.
Wombat
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by COLLECTOR 1 » 16 Dec 2017, 10:25 pm

Sadistic.....blahah

Collector 1
More Brno's than you can poke a stick at..!!!!
COLLECTOR 1
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Return to Centerfire rifles