7mm rem mag

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

7mm rem mag

Post by Member-Deleted » 17 Dec 2017, 1:57 pm

I'm wondering what peoples thoughts are on the 7mm rem mag
Like its sweet spot of bullet weight and commonly used powders for best accuracy
And problems you can think of for that caliber
Thanks in advance
Member-Deleted

Re: 7mm rem mag

Post by marksman » 17 Dec 2017, 4:54 pm

I really like it as its an effective flat shooter and looked at the 7mm rem mag when I got into trying a bit of distance shooting,
I had a 300wm made on a long action and found that I was only able to single feed because of oal issues using decent projectiles loaded out,
for hunting especially I found most people I spoke to that I regard in the know would pick the 7mm rem mag over the 300wm for what I wanted,
a long range hunting rifle
I looked at shooting 140gr projectiles at around the 3200fps-3300fps but there are heavier projectiles available that would work IMO
I ended up going with a tight necked 270wsm but only because of the issues with oal in the long action and wanted to use this action for the rebuild
I'm sure there are plenty of others out there with more knowledge than me who will chime in and let you know what they think
what I think anyway grandadbushy :thumbsup:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Member-Deleted » 17 Dec 2017, 6:38 pm

Thanks Marksman I asked the question as I am soon to become a proud owner of one :thumbsup: :clap: :clap:
I was given an offer from a gun shop for my 25-06 an offer I couldn't refuse it was close to new price :shock: :shock: :thumbsup:
otherwise for a second hand rifle the best I could expect to get would be around half the new price so :thumbsdown: ,
We made a deal and I traded my sako 25-06 in on it this cut the price back to almost nothing for the new 7mm
I think they had it sold as they wanted my 25-06 asap so took the scope off and sent the rifle to them
So now I will have a 30-06 and a 7mm rem mag for the bulls '' There is a god '' 8-) 8-)
I've looked the7mm rem up but the same old conflicting reports mainly from American forums so i'm not sure how many
people in Australia own 7mm rem mag and the ones that do mostly use powders that are bloody hard to get like RELOADER 22
I would only be able to access ADI powders easily as they say they're the easiest to get up here :silent:
Anyway i'll keep looking :thumbsup:

Thanks again mate CHEERS :thumbsup:
Member-Deleted

Post by duncan61 » 17 Dec 2017, 8:26 pm

20171217_180801[1].jpg
20171217_180801[1].jpg (471.7 KiB) Viewed 5950 times
My 7mm Rem Mag is the best rifle I have.It is a Remington Sendero with a 26 inch S/S fluted barrel.The first owner fitted a kevlar stock and had it floated and sold it as he had just split from his wife and was getting rid of all his toys.I had gone to the range that weekend and failed at 400 Metres with my .222 Ruger and had decided to go the 7mm Rem for long distance target shooting.I load 100gn sierras for head shooting roos and my best shot was at 270 Metres lying supported on a PVC benchrest.I had got my mate to flush them out and this big fella stood under a tree which I used the rangefinder on after I dropped it.When I purchased the rifle it came with a 3 boxes of ammo.175 gn Winchester Failsafes 175 Remington corelokt and 160gn highland plus loading dies etc.The picture is of a 100gn Sierra sitting on 56gn 2208.I have been known to completely decapitate roos and pigs dont move too far.I believe it is the go to chambering for plains antelope in Africa with heavier bullets.Hope you love yours as much as I love mine.When I purchesed the rifle The electrical contractor I bought it of and I were both working on a building next to the local police station and we did over the counter for $12.00.Regards Duncan.I am about to photo my baby and post some pics
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by in2anity » 17 Dec 2017, 8:26 pm

Just curious OP - what’s your intended use for your 7mm rem mag?
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Member-Deleted » 17 Dec 2017, 8:45 pm

G'day in2anity it will mainly be scrubbers, pigs and odd dog now as I don't have my 25-06 any more
I use 22-250 for dogs mainly and the 25-06 was for the longer shots and scrubbers but I found the 25-06 lacking on scrubbers
on longer shots from ridge to ridge
Member-Deleted

Post by duncan61 » 17 Dec 2017, 8:46 pm

20171217_183401[1].jpg
20171217_183401[1].jpg (475.66 KiB) Viewed 5943 times
20171217_183422[1].jpg
20171217_183422[1].jpg (490.64 KiB) Viewed 5943 times
Pictures of my baby.
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by duncan61 » 17 Dec 2017, 9:00 pm

I shot a bull that had joined in with our dairycows on the hill block where we keep the young Heifers.It stood straight on at about 50 metres and I hit it in the boiler room with a 175gn Winchester Failsafe and it went right through it after hydraulicking all the internal organs.At 400 Metres the 7mm should still have the energy to drop scrubbers side on.The water buff bull I shot in the N.T.was on an angle away from me and the first 2 shots could be seen exiting out the front after going through ribs and heart lung area.I only had 160gn highland as I had to stock up in Katherine and its all they had Remington corloct would belt even harder.I find the recoil very manageble compared to big game rifles.
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by Member-Deleted » 17 Dec 2017, 9:11 pm

Yeah Duncan61 thanks for the info mate you say you shoot 100 gr, crikey they would be whistling
Mine will have a 26'' fluted barrel not s/s as they don't come in 26'' s/s in that model it is the same as my 25-06 was
sako Roughtech Range
If I go to 100 gr I would be defeating my purpose of getting the 7mm, I was looking at around 160gr-175gr for the scrubbers
Maybe 100-150gr for dogs something quick and flat although 7mm mag might be a little over kill I suppose but I can't afford a rifle
for every need. What sort of grouping are you getting with the 2208 , I presume it would only be for lighter bullets
I tried to find reloader 22 and could only find small amounts and they would only sell it in 5lb lots
This is why i'm trying to find alternative powders that are easier to get until I find a load for bulls and one for dogs or I might just use the heavier
one for everything
What twist rate is yours mine will be 1-9.5
Member-Deleted

Post by Member-Deleted » 17 Dec 2017, 9:29 pm

Nice one duncan61 she looks good what's the scope, mine will have the z3 Swarovski I had on the 25-06
My 7mm is going to be a learning curve for me so any info like that is gold because I don't think they are cheap to shoot
although I will be reloading for it . Your's handles the 175's ok I presume whats its grouping with them
Do you reload for it at times .It sounds like it has all the power I will need as most of the shots would be over 300 yards
When I get mine i'll send some pic's also :thumbsup:
CHEERS
Member-Deleted

Post by duncan61 » 17 Dec 2017, 11:16 pm

My target bullets are 168gn Sierra matchkings on 64gn of ADI 2213sc.I use a scoop and am very particular on weight.They are good out to 1 kilometre.The scope is a 3.5-14x56mm leupold.The 100gn are doing around 3300fps.I have a few kilos of 2208 left from my pro roo days so I load .222 with 22.2gr with a 50gr PSP the .243 with 35gn with a 80gr PSP and 56gn for the 100gn Sierra in 7mm Rem.It keeps every thing normal, I messed with different loads but we all decided to standadise our ammo a few years ago.The target bullets at 200 Metres will make one hole if the shooter is good enough its been a while since my blood pressure was low enough to not affect my accuracy.I use the American big game ammo it came with for when people wish to have a bit of a go and it gets a few smiles.As for the 175s if you can hit a dinner plate its accurate enough
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by Member-Deleted » 18 Dec 2017, 3:22 am

Yeah duncan61 I ended up with a box of hornardy 162gr eld's don't know how they'll go can only try
I notice you use sierra in both weights of bullet do you find them the best for 7mm or just some you had
According to most they say a 1-9.5 twist will only handle projectile -weights from 150gr to 162gr
Although you look as though your doing alright with the rest to 175gr
By the way what is your twist rate it could have something to do with it
cheers
Member-Deleted

Post by Weatherby308 » 18 Dec 2017, 9:16 am

Hey mate a good friend of mine who is a firearms dealer tells me all the time if he could
Only have one it would be his 7mm Rem Mag. I had a play with his new one shooting it at a 9” steel plate at 400 meters on his property and didn’t miss the plate once. I’m not the best shot around or the worst just an average hunter only been shooting for 3 years but I was impressed by the caliber. Who knows if I didnt have my mind set on a 300 win mag I would probably go with the 7mm.
Weatherby308
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Post by marksman » 19 Dec 2017, 1:27 pm

I'm glad to hear things are working out for you grandadbushy
I'm sure you will find a good load for it :thumbsup:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Member-Deleted » 19 Dec 2017, 4:50 pm

Thanks marksman for your thoughts
I actually thought the gunshop owner was toying with me at first but he convinced me after awhile
The 30-06 will get done still all is done now except the barrel next year if all goes well
As for the 7mm it will get my mind off things trying to find a good load for it there has been some good advice
for it on here so it is a matter of putting it all together and use what works

CHEERS
Member-Deleted

Post by VICHunter » 27 Dec 2017, 3:26 pm

grandadbushy wrote:G'day in2anity it will mainly be scrubbers, pigs and odd dog now as I don't have my 25-06 any more

It's definitely more than capable of doing that. :thumbsup:
VICHunter
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Member-Deleted » 27 Dec 2017, 3:52 pm

Thanks VICHunter it looks like it has plenty of hitting power for what I need it for , bulls are pretty tough
especially at a little distance
Anyway thanks mate

cheers
Member-Deleted

Post by Member-Deleted » 02 Jan 2018, 8:41 pm

Took the 7mm rem out today to make sure it wasn't a fluke the other day on getting about .6'' -.7'' @ 100yds
When I reloaded the fired brass I only neck sized it and to my surprise it tightened the group to cutting 3 holes to form
a clover leaf i'm happy with that better than before :thumbsup:
Measured it at .3'' @ 100yds so looks like I've got a good one here :thumbsup:
Member-Deleted

Post by duncan61 » 02 Jan 2018, 9:03 pm

The Sendero comes with a 1.9.5 twist as well.My love for my 7mm is pure as the driven snow.Wait till you shoot something with a bit of size and see the damage.Do you get Donkeys and Camels where you are?????Also first time I launched a 168 at the range in Coolilup I had 36 shooters behind me asking "what the hell was that"good for s**ts and giggles
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by Member-Deleted » 03 Jan 2018, 9:40 am

No mate no donkeys or camels but a fair few scrubbers it's pretty rough behind us and the choppers can't get them all
out and they wander down at times and cause problems with the farmers
Mate I like the Sendero to but never fired one I looked at one when buying the Sako the only reason I didn't buy it was
I was more familiar with the Sako although the Sendero in quality I would believe is just as good as the Sako
Have you tried the 162gr for knock down power cause I was thinking of going to 168gr if the 168's were a little better
The 162's I am running are only ELD-MATCH and the ELD-X are supposed to shoot exactly the same without changing
a thing
I can see how you like the 7mm because I have only had it a short while and I already feel at home with it even as I haven't
shot anything with it except targets
I tried some loads with 68gr 2217 instead of 67gr and it opened from clover leaf to 1'' with the 68's so it definitely likes the 67gr
so that will be the load for now until I sort out some heavier ones
Glad to listen to info any time mate

Cheers
Member-Deleted

Return to Centerfire rifles