Franchi Horizon bolt action rifle

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Franchi Horizon bolt action rifle

Post by Weatherby308 » 18 Dec 2017, 9:08 am

Hey guys! I’m looking at getting a 300 win mag and have narrowed it down to a couple of rifles one of them is the Franchi Horizon. It looks like a nice rifle for the price tag but that’s about all I know about it all the reviews I have found are in Italian if any one could give me any info on this rifle it would be much appreciated. Cheers
Weatherby308
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Re: Franchi Horizon bolt action rifle

Post by Member-Deleted » 27 Jun 2018, 5:30 pm

+ 1
I have my PTA for a 308 and Franchi Horizon might fit the bill but I can't find a single review or write up that is not regurgitated marketing copy. Does anyone have one / know of one and what are they like? I'm wondering if they're the Ducati of the firearm world - pretty to look at and fun to use - when they work. The other shortlistee is the venerable Howa.
Member-Deleted

Post by albat » 27 Jun 2018, 6:11 pm

seen a few reviews on facebook all favourable and seems to be accurate to 1 moa
albat
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Member-Deleted » 27 Jun 2018, 10:20 pm

Cheers albat...I'm not really one for the social medias which would explain why I haven't seen the facebook reviews. I'm leaning towards a Howa ultralight (which for Howa stills means pretty thick) in stainless.- was just curious about the Franchi because they are fine looking
Member-Deleted

Post by Member-Deleted » 27 Jun 2018, 10:20 pm

Cheers albat...I'm not really one for the social medias which would explain why I haven't seen the facebook reviews. I'm leaning towards a Howa ultralight (which for Howa stills means pretty thick) in stainless.- was just curious about the Franchi because they are fine looking
Member-Deleted

Post by Elliott » 30 Jun 2018, 9:36 am

Reminds me of when the Glock train really got going in the 2000's and every man and his dog was turning out a range of poly frame striker fired pistols. Most were worse than Glocks but they put them to market just so they'd have something in the market. Seems to me like Ruger American, Howa & Tikka have got it right in the accurate budget rifle segment, and anything extra is just there to take up space.
Elliott
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by southwest shooter » 30 Jun 2018, 8:34 pm

Buy a Howa .
southwest shooter
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by albat » 02 Jul 2018, 6:14 pm

southwest shooter wrote:Buy a Howa .

just done this and got a mini action .223 very impressed with it to say the least, may i say it but its more accurate that my tikka.
albat
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by southwest shooter » 02 Jul 2018, 6:30 pm

albat wrote:
southwest shooter wrote:Buy a Howa .

just done this and got a mini action .223 very impressed with it to say the least, may i say it but its more accurate that my tikka.

Good move , you wont be disappointed .
Try the buffalo river 55gn blitzking or gameking my rifle loves them .
southwest shooter
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Humperdinkel » 12 Nov 2020, 7:02 am

Sorry to rebirth qn old thread but, did anyone end up buying one of these rifles ? Got any newer member with one that can review it ?

Looking at buying one tomorrow in 270 & a 4x12 scope to suit.

Its my first hunting rifle & im tossing up between these & the Mauser M18
Winchester Xpert - .22
Savage A22R Pro Varmint - .22
Savage 340 - .222
Howa 1500 VT Fluted - .308
Humperdinkel
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by GojiraSteve » 16 Nov 2020, 7:52 pm

I've got one in 243 and I'm pretty happy for under $600. It shoots straight, and the trigger is superb. No exaggeration it's by FAR the best factory trigger I've ever come across. The sole issue is that the comb is super low. Honestly the drop on the comb is as bad as the trigger is good. Not one manufacturer I can find does an aftermarket stock either, but I've managed to solve the problem with a bit of salvaged nylon cloth (from a cheapasshit eBay velcro cheek rest which didn't fit) some packing foam and a hot glue gun. The thing is more comfortable to shoot now than some of my adjustable stocked rifles. Very happy.
GojiraSteve
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by ScottyD » 06 Jan 2021, 7:33 pm

Thats interesting to hear about the comb on the Franchi. I’m hopefully about to get my first gun(s) and have been tossing up between the Franchi and the Howa mini action APC (in 223)
ScottyD
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by in2anity » 06 Jan 2021, 9:25 pm

At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by ScottyD » 06 Jan 2021, 10:24 pm

in2anity wrote:https://australiantacticalprecision.com.au/product/accessories/cheek-rests/atp-adjustable-kydex-cheekrest-cheek-rest-type-1/

Hmmm, that might work. Reckon I'd get someone to fit it though, I'd stuff the stock up for sure :cry:
ScottyD
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by in2anity » 07 Jan 2021, 6:29 am

Yeah - a bit sketch with a hand drill. I used a press with confidence however.
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by JohnV » 07 Jan 2021, 7:23 am

Luigi Franchi make good shotguns but they don't understand scopes on rifles . Without photos of the inside of the stock and the underside of the action and some manufacturing details I can't say if I like them or not . Most of the cheaper guns now have a lot of plastic parts , and slip in parts like removable recoil lugs etc. Pinned in or Pressed in barrels instead of threaded in barrels . They all look fine on the outside and due to the precision and repeatability of CNC engineering they can shoot quite well but they are not easy to work on , and some are not easy to bed . Some become throw away rifles after the barrel is shot out . If it has a hammer forged barrel threaded in, a fixed Mauser style recoil lug , a Sako style bolt disassembly and a claw type extractor I would like it . Oh I just described a Howa .
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by in2anity » 07 Jan 2021, 7:32 am

Yes you are right JohnV - the Rugers are like that. The trigger group is pinned with roll pins, which is a bit of a pain to work with. On the flipside, you feel less guilty bubbaing them - that's the gun I installed the kydex riser on.
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by JohnV » 07 Jan 2021, 7:52 am

in2anity wrote:Yes you are right JohnV - the Rugers are like that. The trigger group is pinned with roll pins, which is a bit of a pain to work with. On the flipside, you feel less guilty bubbaing them - that's the gun I installed the kydex riser on.

They are making actions in multiple parts now to make CNC machining quicker and easier to program and the steel billets required are smaller and less waste .
I had a leather stock riser on my Army issue SLR , nearly ended up in the guard house over it .
If you throw your gun up with your eyes closed get comfortable and then open your eyes . If you are looking straight down the sight whatever it is , it's a good height for offhand anyway . For prone and bench shooting the height needed can be slightly different . You can compromise your cheek weld position a bit for prone and bench shooting anyway .
Slightly low is better than slightly high .
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by in2anity » 07 Jan 2021, 9:49 am

kydex.jpg
ATP kydex cheek riser
kydex.jpg (468.21 KiB) Viewed 6303 times

As you can see, I wasn't happy with the original positioning, but then just filled the holes with stained epoxy. I also scalloped where the grip is, to better accommodate the thumb, and trimmed down the threads so they are recessed below the "cogs".
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by JohnV » 08 Jan 2021, 8:15 am

in2anity wrote:
kydex.jpg

As you can see, I wasn't happy with the original positioning, but then just filled the holes with stained epoxy. I also scalloped where the grip is, to better accommodate the thumb, and trimmed down the threads so they are recessed below the "cogs".

Nice work mate .
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by ScottyD » 23 May 2021, 12:18 am

4D7366A9-7B85-4659-AF4E-ED7B4F3F04C4.jpeg
Finally got my hunting rife (Franchi Horizon nnStrata cammo and Cerakote receiver/barrel)
4D7366A9-7B85-4659-AF4E-ED7B4F3F04C4.jpeg (269.15 KiB) Viewed 5249 times
ScottyD
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by ScottyD » 23 May 2021, 12:21 am

BTW the scope I picked is the Leupold VX3HD 2.5-8x36, seems to fit perfectly :thumbsup:
ScottyD
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by rossfrb » 24 May 2021, 9:59 pm

also looks like a Steyr Zephyr II in your collection - noice - what calibre and how accurate?
And have you tried CZ magazines if so do they work well, any feed/eject issues?
regards
rb
rossfrb
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by ScottyD » 25 May 2021, 9:11 am

rossfrb wrote:also looks like a Steyr Zephyr II in your collection - noice - what calibre and how accurate?
And have you tried CZ magazines if so do they work well, any feed/eject issues?
regards
rb

Thanks mate. Yes that’s a Zephyr 2, in .22LR. It’s stunning, can’t wait to shoot it (be sighting in within next couple weeks).

I heard the CZ magazines fit, I’ll probably get a couple very soon and let you know.
ScottyD
Private
Private

New South Wales

Return to Centerfire rifles