CZ 557 in .308

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Re: CZ 557 in .308

Post by Oldbloke » 11 May 2021, 11:45 am

From FAQ. But I think the max size is 750kb

Pictures can be uploaded to the forum when posting a topic or a reply.

To upload a picture, do the following:

1) At the bottom of the posting screen there is a tab for 'upload attachment'. This tab will show when posting a topic, or if you're replying to a topic you need to use the 'full editor' not the 'quick reply' box.

2) When you're on the 'upload attachment' tab click the 'choose file' button, select the file from your computer, type a description for the picture in the box provided and click 'add the file'.

3) After a moment, the screen will update and show the picture you have uploaded. You can repeat the above step to upload multiple images.

4) When you've uploaded everything and have a list of pictures in front of you, you can click 'place inline' button next to each picture to insert the picture where you want it in your topic or reply. If you don't click 'place inline' all the pictures will appear at the bottom of your reply by default.

Note: There is a file size limit of 1 megabyte per picture. If your pictures are too large you will get a message saying so. If a picture is too large it will need to be resized before it can be uploaded to the forum.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by JimTom » 11 May 2021, 5:30 pm

Thanks mate, have been able to upload in the past however don’t seem to have the patience when resizing photo to get them small enough to upload. I actually use an app that you recommended a few years back and has worked well in the past.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 11 May 2021, 5:48 pm

I use an app called COMPRESS. If I can make it work very easy anyone can. The icon is blue in the App Store. The whole process takes prob less than 15 secs
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by FLANNO » 11 May 2021, 7:53 pm

Gday Jim. Reloading is a long term goal at that moment. Ive put a small 2-7 leoupold on the rifle and am getting use the feel of it. Have only been to the range so far and i need a lot more practice. Do you think that scope is enough magnification ? Ive got a vanguard porta aim and a sand bag at the rear for stability and im trying to ease the shots off but so far not much good mate. I will grab some of the ammo you suggested and get down there again soon and let you know if im improving. Once again Jim I really am indebted to you for your support mate. It the first real centrefire ive tried to set up and I will prevail. any other basic tips you have mate im all ears. Get back to you soon mate.
FLANNO
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by SCJ429 » 11 May 2021, 8:10 pm

That Leupold will be plenty for hunting, practice makes perfect. You may prefer shooting off a bipod and use a rear bag. I have seen Hornady TAP shoot reasonably well out of some 308.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by deanp100 » 11 May 2021, 8:35 pm

FLANNO wrote:Gday Jim. Reloading is a long term goal at that moment. Ive put a small 2-7 leoupold on the rifle and am getting use the feel of it. Have only been to the range so far and i need a lot more practice. Do you think that scope is enough magnification ? Ive got a vanguard porta aim and a sand bag at the rear for stability and im trying to ease the shots off but so far not much good mate. I will grab some of the ammo you suggested and get down there again soon and let you know if im improving. Once again Jim I really am indebted to you for your support mate. It the first real centrefire ive tried to set up and I will prevail. any other basic tips you have mate im all ears. Get back to you soon mate.

Mate, if you intend hunting with this rifle then that scope is 100 % big enough. You will probably find in most terrain you will have it screwed down to 4 and be happy. What ranges are you shooting at and doing so poorly in your opinion at.
deanp100
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by in2anity » 11 May 2021, 9:04 pm

Of course it's very subjective and individual preference, but personally, I would NEVER take a bipod into the sticks. They are heavy, stick into your back over the shoulder and often will not be practical in random, fast, hunting situations. Rather, I like a light,short hunting rifle with a flush or internal magazine. If you practice different positions with a form of a hasty sling, you can stabilised assume offhand/kneel/squat/sit/prone quickly and with confidence. For a trek-hunt on foot, I aim for as light as possible, with as little gear as possible, yet with just enough gun to get the job done. Personally, fully accessorised, I aim for as south of 4kg as possible. A low powered scope is ideal, as already discussed. Google "rhodesian sling" and "ching sling". Those rhodesian light infantry were the deadliest, self-sufficient, outback fighters history has ever known. If you want to be a good, flexible hunter, join a service rifle or field 3-p club and shoot matches, A LOT.
Last edited by in2anity on 12 May 2021, 8:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by JimTom » 12 May 2021, 7:20 am

Mate for hunting that scope is plenty. In saying that I have a 4-12x40 on mine as I personally prefer a bit more when having a scan around, however rarely have the magnification above 6x when actually shooting.
I almost always have a bipod on my rifle when hunting and definitely when shooting at the range. I find it provides a good steady platform when shooting paper at the range and for hunting when one is able to take a shot from the prone position.
I am Glad you have found some of my info useful mate, keep us updated on how you progress.
:drinks: :drinks:
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by JimTom » 12 May 2021, 7:31 am

Mate here are those pics of what my rifle can do with hand loads with a bipod at the range. It’s only a 3 shot group at 100m. I can see I have under measured in these groups however they still more than satisfactory.
Of course it won’t shoot this every single time however it’s my most accurate rifle at present.
EE9B314B-DFDA-430E-8CA8-8BDA0523BFAE.jpeg
EE9B314B-DFDA-430E-8CA8-8BDA0523BFAE.jpeg (227.24 KiB) Viewed 2074 times
Attachments
C1229853-899E-4498-98AB-7A98818ED1C3.jpeg
C1229853-899E-4498-98AB-7A98818ED1C3.jpeg (348.95 KiB) Viewed 2074 times
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by in2anity » 12 May 2021, 8:52 am

Yeah well if you're looking to ultimately get into F-class style comp (or perhaps even the new light Sporter/Hunter class; that's fun?), absolutely the bipod is necessary, and you'll wanna practice with it. There's also the PSR (Precision Service Rifle) comp - that's basically all bipod shooting, and quite dynamic. Loads of fun.
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Previous

Return to Centerfire rifles