SMLE Chambering round issue (pictures) Help!

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

SMLE Chambering round issue (pictures) Help!

Post by JimmyS » 24 Dec 2017, 4:23 pm

2nd post in a day gents,

I've bought a lovely Lithgow SMLE MkIII.

When I bought it home and tried to load a .303 round in it, got the first 90% of the round seated in the chamber, but the last 10% wouldn't fit, you either had it push it quite hard, and then it'd get wedged, and have to be rammed out with a ramrod.

Now, from my understanding these things may have gotten chambered for a smaller round? Though mind you, this was sold as a "303"

Metal above the bolt is labeled "FTR" with a little C or square under it, then the serial number.

The Bolt has a marking "M" on it

The s**ty blurred picture is the round slightly forced into the chamber. You can see where the round gets scratched up.

Can anyone tell me why it won't seat the round correctly? Pictures attached.
Attachments
IMG_1325.JPG
IMG_1325.JPG (1.38 MiB) Viewed 7431 times
IMG_1323.JPG
IMG_1323.JPG (1.95 MiB) Viewed 7431 times
IMG_1320 (1).JPG
IMG_1320 (1).JPG (1.75 MiB) Viewed 7431 times
JimmyS
Private
Private

Victoria

Re: SMLE Chambering round issue (pictures) Help!

Post by bladeracer » 24 Dec 2017, 4:37 pm

Does the bore measure about .311" at the muzzle?
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by AusTac » 24 Dec 2017, 4:39 pm

I'm by no means an expert, but if it were me i'd be cleaning a the chamber with some 0000 steel wool gun oil on a 30 cal brush, if that doesn't work then it's most likely a 303-25 of some sort, but i would think you'd have issues up front of the round rather than in the back with all the scratches at the back of the case, these typically have a oversize chamber to allow snow and battlefield muck a bit of tolerance, they should load without an issue, seeing the boxes in the back but i'll ask anyway factory rounds yeah?
Last edited by AusTac on 24 Dec 2017, 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Certified part time hillbilly
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by GhostRider » 24 Dec 2017, 4:40 pm

Hey mate,
First of all congrats on your purchase, they are an amazing firearm. Now to your issue, due to the rates that these rifles were churned out, some didn’t make the same quality we know of the Lee-Enfield. So what you should do is take it to gunshot/smith to check the head spacing of the barrel. 2nd thing would be to give the barrel a deep clean with Solvent and a good sheen of some gun oil. Then you tackle it from that point. Plus it may be just mine but I have found my SMLE doesn’t really like federal, not sure why. I know that it does love S&B though.
Hopefully this helps you a bit.
Cheers,
Ghost Rider
GhostRider
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by sungazer » 24 Dec 2017, 4:53 pm

Have those cases been fired in another gun? You may try a virgin brass case or if you have access to a small base die.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by Supaduke » 24 Dec 2017, 5:33 pm

First check if a .303 round will slot into the muzzle end. Should go most of the way in. Secondly, another forum member had a similar problem, turns out the gun had been rechambered to .303 sport. The case being about 2mm shorter.
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by marksman » 24 Dec 2017, 7:11 pm

this is what I think you will find is the problem :thumbsup:
try google the 7.7x54 round and you will understand it better than I can tell you :drinks:
let us know
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by JimmyS » 24 Dec 2017, 8:06 pm

I just googled as advised, you've got to be s**ting me.

Bastards sold it as a .303, this makes me mad. I presume the seller was lacking integrity and just said it was a .303, or the gun store wanted to sell it as a .303, as a .303 sport (7.7x54) wouldn't sell for as much.

So basically it's useless to me, as it seems that 7.7 x 54 ammo isn't easy to come by, at all.
I presume they changed it from .303 to 7.7 to fit in with some law I'm unaware of?
JimmyS
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by AusTac » 24 Dec 2017, 8:07 pm

Take the s**t back! Not fit for purpose false adventising the lot!
Certified part time hillbilly
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by Bigjobss » 24 Dec 2017, 8:18 pm

AusTac wrote:Take the s**t back! Not fit for purpose false adventising the lot!

+1
Bigjobss

Post by JimmyS » 24 Dec 2017, 8:23 pm

Seems like the only reasonable thing to do.
That return will happen this Saturday, see how we go, I'd honestly be happy with a re-bore if possible, if not, full refund.

I find it strange that a Gun shop, that would know a lot about SMLE's getting re-chambered, didn't actually check and see if a .303 round would fit, methinks either dodgy tactics, or innocent mistake.

Luckily I'm good with my paperwork, kept everything.
I'll let you gents know how I go! I appreciate your knowledge, f*** the Internets an amazing place ;D

Untill then,
Cheers.
JimmyS
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by marksman » 24 Dec 2017, 9:06 pm

no no no no :unknown:
do not take it back :thumbsdown:
all you need do is trim 2mm off the 303 full length die and trim 2mm off your 303 cases, full length size with 7.7x54 die and you have a 7.7x54 :thumbsup:
or get a 303 reamer down the chamber :drinks:
the 7.7x54 is a shortened 303 case that's all

but get the shop to either: rechamber to 303 or get the full length die and seater turned down for you
or simplex sells dies for it get the shop to buy you some dies
simplex engineering pty ltd, 02 97581280
the shop does have responsibility as the seller, but try and do it amicably, think before you speak :thumbsup:
I think they didn't know :unknown:
have a good christmas :drinks: :drinks:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by JimmyS » 24 Dec 2017, 9:28 pm

I do try to think before I Speak, I promise! ;D
Cheers for that, I think I'll go for a re-chamber, because the rifle is quite the piece, being full stock and all.

I'd think they'd wipe a bit of the price off, due to the error they made, but they've been reliable with everything else, so I have no issues with them, so long as they sort this issue out with a decent outcome.
Whats the guesstimate on the cost to re-barrel this beast back to it's former glory? $300 - $500?
JimmyS
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 24 Dec 2017, 9:34 pm

Would it's value change much if it is a 303 sport?
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by juststarting » 24 Dec 2017, 9:39 pm

If it's different caliber, then your registration paper is wrong too, should be 303-X, I bet it's just 303brit. That's the proof that seller lied to everyone.

Don't settle for partial refund, if this is the case. Get full refund, you're entitled to one. And report the douchebag to cops. Make sure to let him know that, if he gives you trouble about refund (because I bet he shot it, but had it knowingly incorrectly registered ;) ).
---
https://reloadingstudio.com
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 24 Dec 2017, 10:12 pm

Good point about the registration JS. But I'm not sure that's proven just yet. Likely but not proven.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by JimmyS » 24 Dec 2017, 10:42 pm

Mind you, this was bought from a Gun shop, not a private citizen.

Can confirm that it's been lodged as 303BRITISH, as per my paperwork from our lord and saviour LRD.
JimmyS
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by duncan61 » 25 Dec 2017, 1:34 am

Sounds like the shop had no idea.I would keep it the way it is and make ammo for it.good bit of history
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by marksman » 25 Dec 2017, 7:16 am

you don't need a rebarrel just rechamber, probably cost around $120 I think, that's how I would go as well, then you can buy factory ammo
you are covered by consumer law but I really think there is a mistake nothing deliberate
all will be good :thumbsup: :drinks:
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 25 Dec 2017, 12:56 pm

duncan61 wrote:Sounds like the shop had no idea.I would keep it the way it is and make ammo for it.good bit of history

I agree, the fact that these were done is part of the .303 history. I would enjoy it for what it is.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by vietboy » 19 Mar 2020, 5:12 pm

I remember this calibre.

New South Wales has always had a law banning military calibres, presumably so ex soldiers wouldn't steal their issued weapon when demobbed.

The easiest conversion for the SMLE was to cut 2mm from the barrel end and modify the extractor slightly.
The cartridge was close to .303 so I guess it was easy for factories to retool.
The rifle won't fit a .303 cartridge but the modified calibre is called 7.7x54, somewhat confusing because I believe there is a Russian calibre with the same name.
It is quite naughty if they didn't mark the modified barrel. It could have been a home made job because it was an easy modification. Ammunition was readily available in Australia through the 1960s. However the only ammunition I have used was rubbish, mostly misfires.
vietboy
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by GojiraSteve » 19 Mar 2020, 9:37 pm

I wonder if it had sat in the previous owners safe for years completely shot out until he came across a dirt cheap barrel and had "tarted it up" for sale. Never realising why the new barrel was so cheap.
Between the previous owner, the gunsmith (assuming it's not a backyard rebarrel job) and the dealer you'd think someone would have spotted it though.
GojiraSteve
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Diamond Jim » 19 Mar 2020, 11:34 pm

bladeracer wrote:Does the bore measure about .311" at the muzzle?

Yes, check this - can you run a .303 jig down the bore? Are you using new factory ammunition (i.e. not reloads fired in another gun). Is the chamber clean? Can you see any imperfections or damage in the chamber? Is there anything stuck in the chamber (most case separations occur at the base so this is unlikely - could be a stuck projectile? Just thinking but the gun store should have checked all of this).

If you tick all the boxes take it back to the store and demand a fix or a refund.
Listing your firearms is as good as a fingerprint.
Diamond Jim
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Return to Centerfire rifles