I've asked before but.....

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

I've asked before but.....

Post by bigpete » 28 Dec 2017, 7:19 am

OK I've asked this before with zero response,but I'll try again.
Does anyone on here have any experience with the Remington SPS dangerous game model ?
Screenshot_2017-12-28-07-41-55.png
Screenshot_2017-12-28-07-41-55.png (180.64 KiB) Viewed 2869 times
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Re: I've asked before but.....

Post by No1Mk3 » 29 Dec 2017, 9:54 am

G'day bigpete,
Looks like very few people here use one, but you did get a response to this very question last year and it looks likely to be your only one. The big game forums all seem to be positive on this model in 375 H&H, with only the normal "push vs CRF" garbage to wade through.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Gamerancher » 29 Dec 2017, 10:02 am

All of the blokes I know and shoot with that have SPS rifles have a lot of trouble with them in the load magazine/ feed rounds side of things. Accuracy-wise, some have been great, some not so much. Mind you they are all .308 or 7-08 chambered "hunter" rifles, not the dangerous game model that you asked about, sorry. :oops:
They are a "budget" rifle built around a model 700 action.
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by Gun-nut » 29 Dec 2017, 12:32 pm

I'd avoid any recently manufactured remington products due to their poor quality control. I don't know what cartridge your looking at getting this rifle in, but I'd recommend looking at the howa line of rifles if you're on a budget.
Gun-nut
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by bigpete » 29 Dec 2017, 8:10 pm

I've actually owned a 223 sps,it was a fine rifle. As I've indicated,I'm only interested in the 375HH
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by RDobber » 19 Jan 2018, 12:43 pm

Gun-nut wrote:I'd avoid any recently manufactured remington products due to their poor quality control.

Is that still a thing? I was under the impression that had come and gone some years ago.

(Could be wrong)
300 Win Mag Fanboy

Tikka, Tikka, Tikka, BOOM!
RDobber
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Post by Rikta » 21 Jan 2018, 2:11 am

Gun-nut wrote:I'd avoid any recently manufactured remington products due to their poor quality control. I don't know what cartridge your looking at getting this rifle in, but I'd recommend looking at the howa line of rifles if you're on a budget.

seconded, buy winchester or howa or something else...
Rem .270
Howa .223
Ruger 22lr
Lanber 12g
Rossi 410g
Rikta
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by combo12 » 21 Jan 2018, 7:46 am

Popular brand budget big game rifle in 375H&H seems to be CZ. I have a early SPS Rem in 308 that has been fine for goats & the like, but I wouldn’t be tackling dangerous game with similar. Occasional problems with ‘short stroking’ & subsequent miss-feeds would put me off.
combo12
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Post by SCJ429 » 08 Feb 2018, 9:16 pm

If it were me a 375 in a CZ550 would feel more like Africa but the Remington will get the job done if that is what you prefer. Would you consider a big bore. My 416 Rigby is heaps of fun and is not too much of a handful. Everyone loves a 416 or 450 Rigby when you bring them to the range and not many want to have a shot though.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Return to Centerfire rifles