Opinions... lever vs pump

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Re: Opinions... lever vs pump

Post by marksman » 08 Jan 2018, 10:53 am

not supposed to open until you disengage by pulling forearm back :thumbsdown:
I have seen one that flicked the empty out after firing like it was a semi auto, not cool :thumbsdown:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by sungazer » 08 Jan 2018, 12:16 pm

If its capable of flicking one out, "oh sorry light just went on not magazine" wouldn't it reload aka semi. Convert it to mag fed and see how it goes?
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by bladeracer » 08 Jan 2018, 12:41 pm

marksman wrote:not supposed to open until you disengage by pulling forearm back :thumbsdown:
I have seen one that flicked the empty out after firing like it was a semi auto, not cool :thumbsdown:

I haven't used a centrefire pump rifle but with shotguns I pull the gun into my shoulder with the left hand so as soon as you pull the trigger and the action unlocks, it cycles immediately. Then recoil closes it and you fire again, very quickly.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Lumbajak » 08 Jan 2018, 2:33 pm

I would say that the pump that allowed the receiver to open was one of the later batches that were known to be faulty. Mine has been faultless over many hard dusty dirty hunts.
Have a look at shv’s blr mag fed lever. Looks like a cracker
Roll your own!

Brno 22
Anschutz 222
96 Mauser 6.5x55
Tikka sporter 6.5x55
Sako 85 Bavarian carbine 6.5x55
7600 carbine 308
HTR 300 Win Mag
Lumbajak
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by GLS_1956 » 08 Jan 2018, 8:42 pm

A lever gun in 45/70 or 444 Marlin is punishing to shoot. A Marlin 336 in 30/30 is comfortable.
I've been asked: "How many guns do you need to have?" My answer remains the same: "One more."
GLS_1956
Sergeant
Sergeant

United States of America

Post by marksman » 08 Jan 2018, 10:35 pm

Lumbajak wrote:I would say that the pump that allowed the receiver to open was one of the later batches that were known to be faulty. Mine has been faultless over many hard dusty dirty hunts.

you could be right as not all do it :unknown:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by bigrich » 10 Jan 2018, 8:06 pm

hey archie, until recently i owned a marlin 336 30-30. a fairly new one, the older JM marked rifles are supposed to be better. i tried a 4x scope with mounts on it and decided it weighed about the same as my mod 70 scoped winchester. not what i bought a lever for. traded it on a 1974 '94 30-30 winchester. much lighter ,quicker to point as well. i like the factory iron sights better and can shoot quick 3" groups at 50 yards standing.good enough for pigs. any country with longer shots i would take a bolt gun. have a mate with williams peeps on his that would help accuracy. actually 303 sporters can be a good scrub gun as they are very quick to cycle. just my two cents.....
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Max30wcf » 19 Jan 2018, 9:51 pm

30-30 Win 94 all the way. Handling, weight, light recoil, real world hunting track record with the good ol 150-170 gr round nose thumpers at a velocity that kills well yet isn't overly loud. The list goes on..no comparison to a pump center fire IMO.
Max30wcf
Recruit
Recruit

Northern Territory

Return to Centerfire rifles